1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Little box of grey and orange

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tranc3, 2 Apr 2012.

1. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Seems like I haven't been on this side of the forums in a while. I kind of dropped out of the modding scene for a while. To be honest the recent John Hanlon Fund Raiser Build and MNMPCTech have made me want to get my dremel out and start making something of my little case. This p180 mini has been sitting around for over a year in all it's stock glory.

Plans so far:
    Reworking the front for better air flow, and/or a 240mm radiator for liquid cooling.
    Small (Bolt on?) window on the side panel.
    possible repaint of the entire, at least some parts of the interior.
    Keep a simplistic yet appealing modern design overall.
    Better cable management.
    Move the hard drives to the bottom of the case.
    Eventual a full system upgrade, running a bit behind the times.
    Orange lighting/tubing.

I felt if I made a thread it may motivate me, even if it hasn't helped in the past. The biggest problem I'll encounter with this build is that I don't really have a place to work on any thing with power tools at the moment. We're in a small one bedroom apartment and I don't think the neighbors would enjoy a dremel running in the middle of the night. We're planning to move soon as I'm starting a new job so I should have some working space in the near future.

I'll keep all my thoughts and progress related to this build in this thread, be prepared for lots of rambling ideas.

Happy modding my friends, suggestions and constructive criticism is always welcome!

Last edited: 4 Apr 2012
  2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Not a project log, so will get moved to modding :thumb:

Just remember to get used the tool before cutting anything of value, and measure twice cut once :

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Well I put it here since I planned to put the project log here, thought I was in a grey area... If it needs to be moved I won't be upset.

4. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

The start of something.

Couldn't sleep tonight so I pulled the front off, took it apart and snapped some photos.
    [​IMG]

Started working on some things in sketch up.
    [​IMG]

And Photoshop
    [​IMG]

I wonder who I could get to cut me out a nice piece of acrylic...

Last edited: 2 Apr 2012
  5. Metrodusa

Metrodusa What's a Dremel?

Whoever works with acrylic might have a laser CNC. It's not expensive, if you have it in Autocad already.

6. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    About 75% with the internal chassis in sketch up.

7. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

been working on it in Sketch up, got a pretty decent model to play with. I'm thinking replace the two front vents with one single door, and an integrated dust filter not to sure on the cut out i have on the grill. and then just a simple window on the side.

[​IMG]

8. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    Thinking about the front like this, either acrylic or aluminum. With the mesh in the middle and a removable mesh dust filter that slides in the door.

9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Just looked at Evercool ME-240 3.5" and thought it'd be nice mounted on the front where the usb/audio is. move the usb/audio to the side of the case maybe?

[​IMG]
    Something like that

10. Megatron1764

Megatron1764 What's a Dremel?

I hope this goes well. This is the same case I have, and have been looking for some ideas for mine. Keep the updates coming. :0:rock:

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Hard drive failed today, fantastic.

But in other news Its a real mod now. Stripped it down and drilled out some rivets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As you can see certainly no room for a 240mm radiator...

[​IMG]
    Much more open.

Now I've started thinking having the hard drives right up front would make me uncomfortable. Thought about moving them internal plenty of room to add a hard drive cage.

Also been thinking about running the tubing for the liquid cooling down through the divider, drilling two new holes keeping the industrial/minimal look.

12. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    Been thinking it'd be better to make a longer cover for the front, maybe bolt/pop on would be better..

Also thinking about working these in to the bottom two 5.25" bays since they would be covered by this panel.

ICY DOCK 3.5"
    ICY DOC 4x2.5"

Last edited: 4 Apr 2012
  13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Sneaked in on me. I like this. I had that case once. Left it stock and had a nice lady buy it. A few lights and she was happy.

I watch.

john

14. Dexta211

Dexta211 What's a Dremel?

Big fan of mods on this and the P182, so subbed!

15. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    Maybe some Orange on the front? Bolted on.

Might get some particle board to try some stuff with, before I go dropping money on acrylic panels.

Also x500 is up for this being another sort of co-lab, this one We'll finish. He's sending me a package with some goodies in it, also just informed me of a Laser cutter that he has access to at his school.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2012
  16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Dremel it. File it. Sand it. :D You don't always need to rely on fancy machines. When you get rickety and old, (or just maniacally meticulous,) go for the CNC.

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Yo! somebody mention old and rickety?

We don't do this caliber of work. Is nice.

john

18. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    First booboo from the project! Hot rivets are not your friend.

[​IMG]
    pulled the bottom 5.25" bays out, making room for the potential new home of the hard drives.

[​IMG]
    The case got a booboo too... might get covered with some orange acrylic...

side note:
    I feel like I should be taking better photos, looked around the forums and noticed every one has very high quality photos of there projects.. I wish I had something better then my HTC Hero to document progress with.

19. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Thought I should give an example of what I'm planning with the hard drive cage and lighting.
    [​IMG]

20. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]

Thought I'd do a test fit in sketch up, my scale is slightly off from the components I've used, still gives a good idea of whats going on in my head.