1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Which laptops are reasonably quiet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bleeper, 9 May 2012.

1. bleeper

bleeper What's a Dremel?

I bought my missus a new Acer Aspire 5749 i3 2330M with Intel HD 3000, 4GB, 750GB

It performs nicely, but my god the fan is irritating.

I've tried all the power options, there's nothing in BIOS to set the fan speed and Speedfan doesn't allow me to change fan speed.

The fan whooses even at idle. I don't mind a bit of a hushing sound but it's more like a resonant whine.

So, I am returning it.

She only really wants something for basic multimedia, however it must also be able to play Sims 3. That last point is absolutely vital :D

Are all i3 laptops this noisy?

2. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

I noticed that with my mums laptop. I could hear it whining from across the room. I have a Toshiba laptop and that has more of a 'hushing' sound rather than the 'whine'. Have you thought about replacing the fan?

3. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I bought an asus X53E i5 a couple of months ago and its barely audible at all. Its also very well built. I wouldnt have any hesitation in reccomending an Asus at all.
    Cheers
    Scott

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I wouldn't mind my wife having a whiny laptop it might drown out her whining :)