1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate crypto gets Gov. approval

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For the home user that souinds mostly like a gimmick.. I want some, please >.>

Any word on prices to use non-government types?

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

This will not help one bit. I work for governments now and then, and there are USB-sticks and open network drives EVERYWHERE. (no, not on my hardware, tyvm).

This is not a hardware problem, it's a mentality problem. That means hardware could never solve it.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's the same in a number of the customers for a company I work for. I mean, people that deal with financial advice, and other personal things (The other day I was working on a PC, and there was quite a number of doccuments marked confidential just left open on the desk), leave things all over the place for all to see, and we've (The company I work for) never been asked to sign a confidentiality agreement, or anything of the sort. It's really quite scary, the fact we trust (At least, sort of) these people to keep this stuff private and confidanetial, but anyone with eyes in their head could go and see it?

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

So how does this function from a user perspective? Surely it just requires a password at boot, in which case a clever somebody could rig up some sort of hardware-level keylogger and bypass the encryption entirely, right?

6. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

If someone can get physical access AND rig up a hardware keylogger AND return and take the drive the you have a much bigger problem on your hands than just encryption. Security is only as good as the weakest link, and if you're weakest link is a box that anyone can walk up to and tinker with the hardware... well... thats like a locked bank vault with no guards and no security cameras.

7. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

These drives are not designed for the security of the owner. Drive Trust is Trusted Computing for hard drives. In other words, the security isn't for the user's sake.
    That quote was taken from here. I sure do miss the time when computer hardware was designed solely for the benefit of the end user :sigh:

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if the password is entered to many times and fails the disk 000000 it self (i asume it most likey go for the private keys first)

Tags: Add Tags