1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Mixing Ram on an i7-930

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aubrey, 7 May 2011.

1. aubrey

aubrey What's a Dremel?

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

together? NO! because they both need different voltages for a start, get the mushkin kit, they are VERY VERY GOOD, also they are what you need for an x58 system with tripple channel memory.

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

To start with: Why would you want to use them together? If you want more than 6GB of RAM, get two 6GB kits -.-.

4. aubrey

aubrey What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your replies.
    The reason I asked is that I already have both kits, and was wondering if there conceivably was a way to make use of them both.

Anyone want some new gskill ram? :p

5. aubrey

aubrey What's a Dremel?

Final post, felt obligated to let everyone know how this turned out.

I have had both ram kits running perfectly @ 1.6 volts in my machine for over a month now - no observed side effects or failed memory tests.

The higher latency GSkill ram is installed in channel 3, with it's bios timings set appropriately.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can run them together, but clocking over 1333MHz will be a serious chore.

On the 1366 chips can split each memory channel independently, so as long as you keep both the same sticks in the same channel, it'll work.

You could do:

Channel 1: 4GB-4GB
    Channel 2: 2GB-2GB
    Channel 3: 2GB

I run 12GB like this (minus one 2GB stick) but it'll only work at 1066MHz.

The downside is that they all have to work at one voltage, so your 1.5V kit will need to run at 1.65V. It'll be fine - all quality memory brands have a lifetime warranty anyway ;)

Tags: