1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Sammy HD103SJ just exploded

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mp3manager, 18 Oct 2011.

1. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

My 1Tb drive disappeared from device manager, so after powering down, I checked the connections...all good, so I powered up again and bang!! My hard-drive just exploded, WTH!

The side was off the case, so there was quite a large fireball, then the magic smoke escaped followed by *that* smell. ;^>

Luckily I have an identical drive handy, so removed the logic board and fitted it to the dead drive and I'm currently pulling off the data onto other drives.

Back up your data people! Oh, and always buy drives in identical pairs....just in case.

Front of the logic board
    [​IMG]

Rear of the logic board
    [​IMG]

Damage to the adjacent drive
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Oct 2011
    Bungletron likes this.
  2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Impressive damage!

4. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

I would are with Blogins I would write a very strong email to Samsung as the outcome of this could have been very very nasty

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Probably best to tell Samsung first and retain the drive. A courtesy pay off might be in order, especially if any of your other PC components have damage even if it is only smoke! Keep pictures, lots of them.

mp3manager likes this.
  6. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I bought two identical drives from Scan in August, so it lasted just 2 months. :sigh:

7. RaisingCain

RaisingCain What's a Dremel?

In your email may I suggest using the words "Physiological trauma"?

Also thats some impresive damage.

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

The issue you'll have with the warranty with Samsung (and Scan if returning under Sale Of Goods Act) is that you've had the logic board off, and seeing as you've now tampered with the drive as much as I realise to get data off, your in a much weaker position for tampering with it.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just looking at the HDD it's pretty obvious the damage came from within the device itself, just look at the underside of that PCB! No doubt the data held on the HDD was the OPs main priority so with that out the way I'd still follow through with Samsung. Then if necessary, SCAN.

10. ArchType

ArchType What's a Dremel?

Bloody Hell o_O

11. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Explosives Efficiency Pin awarded!

Thats some impressive damage, I hope everyone got out OK. I think its usually a capacitor that might explode like that but after 2 months? That is seriously unfortunate and worth a free replacement (plus compensation for any collateral damage IMHO) any day.

12. Behemoth

Totally agree, but if it got that far, it's convincing a court it was reasonable to do this. Sorry got my work head on, I advice Consumer Law all day it's hard to snap out of it when at home sometimes.

Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle when the drive is what £40 in value, if it was worth more than then yeah I'd be arguing the toss.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I just got a £2.81 refund on a SurgeMaster I bought three years ago, that's a 500ml Crabbies Ginger Beer, packet of nuts (dry roasted) and a Yorkie to me. So you can take your Champagne drinking Caviar munching mouth some place else! Nah just kidding! :D

Seriously though, £40 isn't small change to most people, it's worth a few e-mails or a couple of postage stamps to get your moneys worth.

14. Behemoth

I agree 40 sheets is a fair old bit of cash to some people but when yo wigh up all the aggro in sending e-mails, postage costs, phone calls etc you could aregue you'd be throwing away good money after bad.

We all know that if sent back to Scan they'll say its been tampered with for taking the controller board off, they'll even know if they read this thread.

No harm in trying really, but just making sure the OP isn't too surprised when either Scan or Samsung say no.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The key is to lower expectations and simply put it out of your mind when dealing with these issues. Just print off a letter using the templates provided here...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=217849

Then fire it off to the relevant address. It's really not that much trouble. Just irks me that the British public expect things to fail in a couple of years, bin it and then spend more money on something that does the exact same thing! Especially surprising these days with money so tight.

16. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

Hard Drive Induced Thousand Yard Stare?

17. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

:jawdrop:

18. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

i would also go talk to scan, talk about how it has deeply affected you and your family from the trauma of the fire ball etc, also tell them about any extra damages that the drive caused, quote things such as the sale of goods act and that you are a long standing customer of them, if this fails talk to the guys at scan, there usually very understanding.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Has anyone mentioned 'third degree burns' yet! :D

20. RaisingCain

RaisingCain What's a Dremel?

I haven't heard anything about "smoke inhalation", that stuff's bad for you. ;)