1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project | Novo - by ygd3n | Update 2014-02-07 Packages!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ygd3n, 5 Jan 2014.

1. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Novo - Revive, change, refresh

Hi, I'm back! Same project as before, but different name and concept.

The idea of this project is that im using the same case. But new hardware, water cooling, SLI. etc.. Because of lack of time and money I decided to put the project on hold for a while. Due to a few positive changes in my life I decided to start over, this time with new components but with the same scratchbuilt case. Like a different version on the same project.

The name "Novo".. pretty well what this project is all about. It's about change, revive my creation.

So, this is pretty much a scratchbuild. I made this case back when I was still in school as my exam project. Sadly I just got an C, beqause I was unable to finish it.

Here's the old project, the actual build.

Alpha white winter by ygd3n

MY THOUGHTS AND IDÉAS

My thoughts on this project came almost out of nowhere. I sat for a while at the laptop, then it hit me, just the thought that.. I want to build something, to create something. Have something to be proud of again. So I wanted a desktop computer again. But now the project can take it's time that's needed. Will try to solve all the little problems that arose earlier in the project, which I was too lazy or too unthoughtful to fix.

Then out of nowhere came the idea again. I want to have a color scheme of orange, black and white! ..

HARDWARE

[X] Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
    [X] Intel core i5 4670K
    [x] Samsung 840 SSD 250GB
    [x] Be Quiet Power Zone 850w
    [x] 2st Zotac GTX 580
    [X] G.Skill Ares DDR3 2133Mhz
    [] Be Quiet Pure Wings 2
    [] Storage HDD's
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    [x] EK-CoolStream RAD XT 360
    [x] EK-DDC X-TOP CSQ Acetal
    [x] EK-Supreme LTX - Acetal CSQ
    [x] [EKWB] DDC 12V PWM DDC-1T
    [x] Masterkleer 10/16 orange
    [x] Phobya Balancer 250 nickel black
    [x] rak/45/90-gradare SM10/16 G1/4 Black

TIME SCHEDULE

Have planned for a while and managed to already get some stuff now before I started the project. Just because it would not take too long.

* Check the case and see what has to be done
    * The front panel USB 3.0/sound has to be replaced
    * New power button with orange LED
    * Making new middle plate for placing pump and other stuff
    * Obtain motherboard, processor and memory after Christmas
    * Install water cooling for it.
    * Send PSU cables sleevning to bit-tech member KoSoVaR^, he makes such a great sleeving work! (I feel ashamed that I mod pc's and don't sleeve my own cables :rolleyes:)

SPONSORS

Have completely wounderfull sponsors that have helped me earlier and wants to help me once again. I'm extremely grateful and more than happy and pleased to showcase your products!

[​IMG]

Chris @ Be Quiet provides me with a great Power Zone 850w CM powersupply, and a bunch of Silent Wings 2

[​IMG]

Artur @ coolingstuff provides me with some of the watercooling parts!

COMPETITION's​

I have joined the minimalisticpc's modding competition!

UPDATES

Updates will be done at regular intervals, as soon as I've done anything I write but will try to give as much pictures as possible. Please write in the thread about improvements, tips, constructive criticism, etc..

Have a good weekend!

Last edited: 7 Feb 2014
  2. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Update #1

Some watercooling, some hardware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm.. What can this be ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh! It's an Samsung 840 Evo 240GB SSD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE POWER IN THE PC! THE MONSTRUOS POWER ZONE 850w PSU :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well packed Be Quiet, well packed..

[​IMG]

Cable's that later on will be shipped to the sleever man KoSoVaR^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Update #2

Hey, another update. I'm testmounting the radiator and making the new mid-plate, and now in 3mm thick aluminium! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think about the new mid-plate? gonna mount the pump on it later and have the resorvoir above it.. Gonna look fine to me! :D

Next update will be soon, pics of the beautiful Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC motherboard! :D

4. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Massive update!

Sorry guys. I have been so focused on other forums so I almost forgot this one! :D

But, now I have an massive update, made som minor modifications to the front power/reset buttons, and the front USB 3.0 and audio!

And some other stuff aswell, like motherboard, processor and memory!

The front USB 3.0 and audio panel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First of.. More cable length and sleeving them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the power/reset panel. Took it from another case and rebuildt it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OOOOH, it's so damn sexy! Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC!

[​IMG]

Intel i5 -4670K, hope it's an overclocking friendly one!

[​IMG]

The G.Skill ARES 2133mhz 2x4gb memory to go along with the colorscheme!

And this was all for today!

5. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Unexpected twist in the project!

Hello everybody!

Sat down with my brother and discussed about what I can improve, and in the simplest way get more quality in the build.

And finally, we concluded that all sheet metal work I must do, sooner or later results in re-painting the case. And, so it will be!

Since the project has a lot of orange in it, and black of course in other components. So the project will have the frame and sides in black, and rest of the detailes in orange!

And it will facilitate all sheet metal work much. Don't have to worry about damaging the paint when in going to cut something, drill and so on.

So here's the color I layed an order on (highlights.se). It will probably arrive next week. Then I have plenty of time to do some of the sheet metal work I have planned.

[​IMG]

And this is what I made this evening, cutting a hole so I can fit the front USB 3.0/audio/mic panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using some cheap cutting wheels, some day i'll just go buy an real Dremel..

[​IMG]

Changed it about 7-8 times! And for that little hole I made! :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did'nt get all the cutting in the corners, so I had to bend it couple times!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, it fits, so i'm happy! :D

This is all for this night, hope you enjoy reading!

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-That first pic in update #2... With the flush fit grill. I have that look in my head now, and you should totally do everything like that. Even if it took a bunch of extra metal, it would look awesome.:D

-Oh dear, the crazy rambling seems to be back...

7. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

What? So it's not sticking out or what? :)

8. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Coloring & Sheet metal work!

Hey again!

Today i've recieved a big package full with montana gold cans, primer, orange & black!. And I bought some other stuff as well. Filler, screws, sandingpapers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I have a bunch of work ahead of me! But I hope the end results going to be great!

9. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Case disassembled!

Hello again! Was a while ago, got a situation here with the case. Going to be some changes to the case in order to extract the most from the size of the case, so I can fit 2x 360 radiators istead of just one!

Have disassembled the case and started to figure out what to do. Ordered some aluminiumplates, 360 fangrill, some screws and other stuff and will come this week I hope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is whats going to change.. Gonna move the motherboardtray so a 360 radiator can fit in the top.

Have a great evening!

10. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Mountingplate for the motherboard!

Hey! Now I made the biggest modification of the case, I managed to lower the motherboardtray without any hard modification. So I came up with creating a simple aluminiumplate that i cut out so it can fit flat on the motherboardtray, so it will be like one piece.

And while I was working on it I came up with a small idéa about having some logo that indicates this project, so I cutted out an big "N" ( as projects name Novo) as an fangrill to the small 80mm fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even bought some nice M3 hex screws thats gonna hold the motherboard on place :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as you can see in the pictures and the GIF, I made so I can slide in the motherboardtray in the case for easier installation, but in also gonna cut a cpu backplate hole in the motherboardtray aswell. What do you guys think about this idéa ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just some small metallwork to be done, then of to painting!.. Feels like it's finally going to an end this project!. Can't wait to get my hardware and watercooling in this case! :D

Feel free to comment! Have a nice night!

11. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Today's a great day!, Aquatuning and Be Quiet packages!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well this gonna look nice! :D, just some smaller modification with the fan grill.. Gonna cut away the middlepart so it's stripes all the way.

[​IMG]

Got some few more fans to the build from Chris @ Be Quiet, can't thank you enough!

[​IMG]

Isn't that just cute! Tiny 80mm silent wings 2 fan, 2000rpm, so it pushes air!

12. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hello, just wanted to update you guys with a little "teaser pic"

[​IMG]

.. Have done a lot now but have not had no spare time to fix up pictures for the project log. When I newly acquired a new job in another town, I have not had the opportunity to be at home and had time on the project. Then I had much else to do around the project as well.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's a huge change from an unfinished case.

14. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Thanks! I'll try get some pics on the whole rig this weekend :)

15. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Long time no seen.

Felt compelled to post some pictures of the project's current form. Although there are a lot of things that must be done before the project is 100% done.

As you can see the project misses sleeving.. Why it's missing is just that I prioritize some other things in my life right now and lack of right income, I can't afford the cost of sleeve requires. It will come. But will happen.. But In the meantime, I will hopefully come up with ideas for improvements of the project, etc..

Hope you guys can deel with that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DarkSable

DarkSable What's a Dremel?

I like it a lot more than I was expecting to - you didn't go too overboard with the orange and so the whole thing is still tasteful.

How is it on noise? You have a heck of a lot of fans in that thing! :p

17. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Oh thank you! :D

You can't even hear it.. almost! It's Be Quiet fans.. I have the radiatorfans on 15-20% and the rest on 50-60%.. So it's real quiet.. Just the GTX 580 cards that's still is loud as f*ck.. Not sure if i'm going to put blocks on them or not.. Or just get new cards that's worth cooling with water..