1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP launches Sprout 3D-scanning all-in-one

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Oct 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

I admit, I came here hoping for a PC in the shape of a brussel sprout - and was slightly disappointed. However, the HP Sprout is quite cool, though looks like it's going to be a tad expensive.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'm guessing in the £2k region, since it's $1900 in the US and we always get shafted. If it's £1500 I'm buying one!

It's even got HDMI out so I can keep running a two screen + touch screen set up, although I'm not sure that projected touch screen can truly replace a Cintiq, the shadow of your hand would be a bit of a trade off. But it won't suffer from the floaty pen syndrome Cintiqs have, which could make the shadow moot.

4. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Me too! That 3D scanner, the possibilities. You could pair it up with a 3D printer, and replicate anything you scanned in, just like a Star Trek replicator ;) Seriously though, I love concept PCs like this. It makes me think that we're already living in the future.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2014
  5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty cool and responsive, though I wonder how much of this was real content. Also, I don't understand why they couldn't just separate the projector, scanner, and scanning area. I feel like they're restricting their audience by forcing it to be merged with a pre-built PC. The product is nifty and could be useful long after the computer becomes obsoleted.

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

In french "prout" is an equivalent to "fart". Make me think of something like S-Prout <--> Super Prout

[​IMG]

Cool device though and nice idea. Just can imagine customers asking for that name in stores :D

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

The funny thing is much like a fart, if nobody is around to notice when it happens, it'll eventually disappear as though it never happened. That, and Brussels sprouts are known to make people very gassy.

So you might be onto something.