1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Payday: The Heist Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Shame it looked quite interesting too, maybe still worth picking up in a sale with a massive discount slapped on it?

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Sorry to say it but S.W.A.T. is "Special Weapons and Tactics" not tactical ;)

/grammar nazi

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm... glad I decided against pre-purchasing this - it looked like it was going to be good, too.

5. TheLink

TheLink What's a Dremel?

It's not perfect but I'm really enjoying this personally... and do not find £14.99 excessive.

6. The_EXorcist

The_EXorcist Possibly Australian

It has its flaws, but is extremely fun with your mates, been at it almost constantly since release. Its cheap to buy, and being that its the only title the developer has on sale, it has all its attention, more DLC has already been announced, and they are listening to their community on what needs changing or adding

7. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

I'm really enjoying it too. The AI is terrible, true enough & something I'd love to see patched or modded & the graphics options are non-existent, it'd be nice to be able to add some AA etc from in-game...
    But the level design is excellent & the 4 player L4D style co-op is one that really appeals to me. £15 didn't seem too steep, but especially considering the 4 pack is £45, £11.25 seemed a fairly good price. And if I recall there was a 10% pre-order bonus. So £10(ish) was a bargain considering I've already gotten at least 10hrs out of it.

8. baronvongogo

baronvongogo What's a Dremel?

As mentioned before overkill are listening to the community and are very active in the steam forums. They sometime respond in real time. I think in with a few patches and DLC it will be an amazing game.

I am enjoying it so fa,r one of the hardest games I have played in a while as well. With this and dungeon defenders out it will keep me busy for a long time.

9. baronvongogo

baronvongogo What's a Dremel?

10. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

It's a shame that this sounds rather pedestrian -- the concept of a co-op heist sim sounds brilliant.

A potentially much more interesting game could be made by lining it up more closely with traditional heist movies in structure and feel. For example:

-Having separate phases for recon, planning and execution
    -Having stealth and distraction mechanics
    -At times sending players off on separate jobs that need to be synchronised (so you need to communicate effectively and watch your timing)

I see loads of potential: think DX:HR but co-op and with the high level planning and tactical elements of Frozen Synapse.

11. Havalynii

Havalynii What's a Dremel?

If only could have been the modernized counterpart to S.W.A.T. 4 or Raven Shield. I like the concept. And why DON'T they just make a game based off of Heat?!

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Yep. This.

The game was cheap, it's a lot of fun. Myself and mates are really enjoying it. 50% would be right if the game was £35, but it wasn't...it was less than 15 quid and damn good value for the money....and some of the moments actually are quite exhilarating.

Major gripe - the poor AI. Probably won't get fixed over time but, then, is the AI in L4D any better?

13. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Nope, not available on the Xbox, which makes sense since it's published by Sony.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

A game like this could have been good but it always looked quite meh when I first checked it out & still does, happens a lot where game devs have an ok base idea for a game but don't pour enough awesomesauce into it to make it a huge classic, shame.

But if they are listening to the customers maybe at a later date it could be good & worth getting but won't get my hopes up at all, so I'll leave it until 2.0 comes along.

15. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I like the premise but not the killing of innocents and cops though I know that would appeal to some. Hope another dev picks this genre up but with non lethal options / stealth.

16. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

LOLwut?

The game you describe already exists. It's called S.W.A.T. 4

o_O

17. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Nice, bit. Hard as this has been pushed on the Steam for a while now, looked like it was worth looking into. Since I'm here every day anyway, you saved my lazy ass from having to go seek out a review (Ars published a review yesterday, but their game reviews always kind of suck.)

18. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Been quite a lot of fairly decent, polished looking, indie titles out lately. It's been a bit of a minefield finding the good ones though. I'm giving this one a miss, but I picked up Dungeon Defenders, which was a hoot for a tenner. I also got The Haunted, which was so bad I died a little inside. It's very hit and miss, but at least when the games are only a tenner, and most have decent co-op, it's not such a big gamble.

19. Kaihekoa

Kaihekoa What's a Dremel?

A 5/10 because a $20 game made by a small developer looks cheap and doesn't have a lot of content. The purpose of a game is fun, and you take 5 points because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3 and has a limited scope (intended). I don't know what you expect for a game that costs a third of an AAA title, but for most people who have played it, they get more than $20 worth of fun. Now I am going to be weary of bit-tech game reviews in the future, which is a shame.

20. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Odd that you should bump on this particular day.... It's %50 on steam.

Tags: Add Tags