1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Water-cooling the AMD Radeon R9 295X2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 6 Aug 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Would be interesting to see how using a bigger radiator (360, 480) affected temps and performance. Also with the reduced temps, could you overclock the card further?

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I have an issue with this water block and those like it, once the liquid is in it looks like it is full of rather ugly bubbles. I much prefer water blocks that look like they have a designed, set route for the liquid. I also have issues with 'full cover' water blocks that, well, aren't 'full cover' and leave great whacking amounts of exposed PCB and electronics for everyone to see. I know that isn't always the case but the few that aren't (like the one featured here) are only for the very most high end GPUs, as far as I have been able to see there is no 'full cover' water block that actually covers the whole card for things like the 760 or 770. If I am going to pay quite a lot of money to water cool the GPU then I would like the full card to be covered and not expose these areas that were quite happily covered by the after market air coolers, or even stock coolers.

OK, rant over. If anyone knows of water blocks that meet my requirements then please do let me know. Thanks. :)

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I think the 1650rpm fans actually did a fairly good job of shifting enough air to remove most if not all of any bottleneck imposed by the radiator - there wasn't any difference in temps even when I wound them down to 7V as a side test. Sadly the overclock wouldn't push any higher, but it's pretty significant as it stands. Obviously if this was an air-cooled card the differences would likely have been huge but AMD has certainly made sure throttling is kept to a minimum this time.

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

What a name ! Had to read it several times :)

6. iggy

iggy Minimodder

the difference between air and water is more the fact that you can keep this card running at full whack with all the safeties off, all the time, without it sounding like an Antonov An-225 taking off on your head. Try doing that with stock cooling.

Tags: Add Tags