1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop-up ads on the front page...

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by murtoz, 28 Jan 2013.

1. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

Really bit-tech!?
    I understand the need for ads / revenue and for that reason have you whitelisted on the ad blocker - but pop-up adds are in a league of their own. First full page adds, then the stupid inline adds, adds at the bottom of photo's in articles and now this...
    You just lost a regular visitor. Thanks for the past 6 years, it's been good. But enough is enough.

Dude111 likes this.
  2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

meh, just use an adblocker extension and problem solved. Theres already a thread dedicated to this in feedback.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Dude111 and Apophis54 like this.
  3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

This has been going on for far too long, so we've stopped fighting and turned on adblock as the answer.

Dude111 likes this.
  4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I wish there was a forum where all we could see was adverts... Oh wait :worried:

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Adblock: everytime, all the time.

Dude111 and Apophis54 like this.
  6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The TV?

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Some additional feedback: I opened Bit-tech on my iPhone, the last device on which my bookmark pointed to the home page rather than the forums. Before the home page finished loading, I got a pup-up ad. I clicked the small 'X' to close the ad, and even though the ad closed, I was redirected to a new tab for another ad while bit-tech continued to load in the previous tab.

I'll give bit-tech the benefit f the doubt and presume that on the small screen of my phone I may have clicked the ad itself rather than the small 'X' to close it, but just to be safe I'm updating the bookmark to go straight to the forums. The advertising seems to have become awfully intrusive.

8. xrain

xrain Minimodder

The heck is up with this:

[​IMG]

Do I really need to click 8 different x buttons of the same ad just to see the photos?

I've been regularly reading bit-tech for almost a decade, and I accept having ads, since I understand that it costs money to run a website and pay salaries.

However the number of ads lately has shot into the stratosphere, its on a whole different order of magnitude compared to how it has been for the last decade. It seems like every time I log into bit-tech I see a rash of new ads added to the site. Bit-tech has historically done very well on balancing the need for ads and the content on the site. It the site really in that dire of a situation where you are opening up the site wholesale to advertisers?

It is possible to have a balance between content and ads, why don't advertisers seem to understand the more intrusive they make an ad the more I do not want to have anything to do with their products.

To top it off, I also just got a pop up ad for a scam product. (a "free energy" device, sorry it doesn't matter how shiny the red box is or how many Ethernet ports you have on it, "Free Energy" doesn't exist)

9. cdb

cdb No comment

10. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Hi guys,

Just to say, I'm doing everything I can to get the more obnoxious ads removed from the site - yes even the green plague. Any time you see anything that's particular irksome, drop me a message and I'll feed it back to the advertising team.

Cheers,

Ed