1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Headphone/Headset Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrDomRocks, 13 Nov 2012.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Hi guys, ok so my current headset needs to be sent back, Mic has stopped working two months into use. I am going to send it back and spend a little bit more money.

I have a SpeedLink Medusa 5.1, so 5.1 audio is proffered as I have gotten used to it. I want to spend around £150. I have looked at several suggestions and whilst I do like the look of the Razer Carcharias I do want 5.1 audio.

So suggestions please guys. Too much to choose from.

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I'm not an audiophile but I got a Logitech g35. It is virtual 7.1 surround as opposed to actual surround but I'm very happy with it. It is USB and currently available for around 80 pounds from tesco. There are some reviews that state it is uncomfortable, I have a big head and I can find a comfortable way to wear it by changing the padded head support and adjusting the ear cups lower. In terms of weight you know that you are wearing it, but it is not uncomfortable. Being Logitech you know that there is the support in case anything breaks and the build quality is good and the drivers will work. When used for bf3 and other games I find them great. For music they are a bit worse but by no means bad.
    To be fair though this is the first decent headset I've owned, in the past I've always bought chepo sub 10 things or used headphones that came bundled with phones or other devices.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Dom, you play BF3, the simulated 5.1 in that is pretty much just as good an effect as you'll get from a supposedly 5.1 headset.

I owned the G35s - the sound quality is excellent - definitely better than the carcharias. But: in my opinion, the 5.1 effect isn't really up to much (same with any 5.1 headset).

Dancingbear - do you have any problems with sound balance when Dolby headphone isn't on? Like its a lot louder in one ear than the other? That happened with both pairs that I owned.

When I first got the G35s they were very tight and painful, but after a while of wearing them they eased up, and were fine.

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

If you have £150 and want the ultimate surround experience you can get, just buy the Sennheiser HD598 headphones (and cheap mic).

I know you said you prefer actual 5.1, but trust me these things will blow you away in the surround sound department. Audiophile grade cans that will also take your music and movies to an entirely new level, with such a realistic soundstage it'll shock you. Buy them and listen to that virtual Barber shop video on YouTube...

When I got mine I was blooown away, and I've tried Beyerdynamics DT770, DT880, Sennheiser PC360 and more.

Edit: a £20 Creative X Fi xtremegamer completes the package if you want a virtual surround system too.

5. majnu

majnu What's a Dremel?

If you want one with a built in mic then the Sennheiser PC360 or even the u320 are good.

If you want a studio headset and can live with a dangly clip on mic then the bredemeyer dt 770 pro's won't disappoint.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I got a Logitech 930 ("real") surround head set im looking to sell if your interested.

I have moved on to HiFi headphones and would like to sell them to some one who would make use of the surround features.

-I am allowed to say that here right?

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Woah lots ogre suggestions. I will have to take a look at each one and see which i like the most.

I never really thought about getting a sound card. I am no audiophile so it never overly bothered me.

8. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

If your spending that much on a headset I would recommend a sound card. I got a £35 headset, and a sound card does make it sound better, and higher end models are meant to benefit more.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ok adding a sound card to my list. This is getting expensive.

Going to buy an all in one headset. And sound card.

10. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

yeah mate even my old Audigy 4 sound card is far better than any onboard sound...the ASUS cards got raved about but I think I see more reports of issues with them more than anything these days.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

the g930 is USB so that would save you a sound card.
    930 stats

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I think it would make up the difference, e.g £120 for the headset and £30 for the sound card. Plus, if you buy a pcie one, it should last for multiple builds/headphones.

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Hahaha good spot, I had realised getting a USB Headset defeats getting a sound card.

i have been offered a sound card at a bargain price. So looking into my options.

I may have to increase my budget a little. I have looked at the Sennheiser HD598 I think they will do the job and look sexy on my head. I am all about the visuals and how well they perform.

That plus a sound card and I am thinking of picking up http://www.scan.co.uk/products/blue-microphones-836213001912-snowball-usb-professional-microphone-gloss-black as well.

So all in all over £200......

Not to mention I am sending my Speedlink Medusa's back as the Mic has died.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2012
  14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

You won't be disappointed with the HD598

Thing sounds amazing.

15. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

This. I want the 598's myself, they're on my wishlist.

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well I am sold on them, I have always like sennheiser I have some headphones somewhere that I gave to my mom as she hated her ear buds.

I am also going to buy a Blue Snowball Mic xD

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Samson GO Mic is where quality mics start. I am very happy with mine.

18. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I have the HD595's myself mate, I think they're awesome, the HD598 are said to be even better but not by as enough to be upgrade worthy but if I was buying again I would get the HD598 myself.

I would spend less on a mic and more on a sound card tho

What kind of sound card are you thinking of?

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have been offered creative hd titanium for a reasonable price. I the Mic is for my youtube content as well as talking to you guys on VOIP. When I have the free time around work I am going to be putting together some content for my channel.

And to do that I need a decent Mic as the desk one and my current fault Headset Mic arent very good.

I am unsure about sound card as my current music files are mostly mp3 and AAC from Itunes. I have never had FLAC files or super high quality audio needs. Obviously once I have the Headphones I will test to see if I can hear the difference in audio quality.

20. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

trust me you will hear the difference mate with that sound card and headset. night and day