1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD shutdown problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 31 Dec 2010.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Does anyone know or had similar problem with SSD? My SSD Crucial C300 shutdown in Windows7PRO increased dramatically. It used to be an instant shutdown, but after I downloaded AVG 2011 Tuneup it's just crazy slow now. See what happend is I cleaned registry because I thought it would really help me. AVG claims that it does... But who knows, anyway after it cleaned my registry there was advance tab that I went to and it said "Improve Windows Shutdown Time" I hit enable and ever since than I notice a huge delay. It takes me now 5~10 seconds for a simple shutdown just like my old 300GB Raptor.

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Theres a hint somewhere in your post to the cause of your problems.

3. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I have to agree with ph4 avoid AVG like the plague and also webroot software, I made the mistake of using avg and encountered problems similar to yours with that and with webroot spysweeper having to format my hdd as the webroot software would not uninstall. Try uninstalling AVG as ph4 is suggesting it may solve the issue let us know if that works for you

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Absolutely bloody right. Avoid 'tuneup' software like the plague, even from reputable companies. Personally, I also avoid ANY sort of registry cleaner - leave that well alone unless you absolutely have to.

I've got to say, I used to be a fan of AVG but recently they seem to have taken a turn for the worse. Can anyone recommend a decent (free) replacement?

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I used Microsoft Security Essentials on my machine. Very unobtrusive.

6. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Thank you guys! I thought AVG tunup was the problem, but had be sure.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials. Looks like that's the one that'll be using when I do my Windows reinstall.

8. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

+1

It may not have all the features of AVG, but meh who needs 'em anyway. MSE just sits there and leaves me alone. If I do feel the need to do a scan, I can check for updates and start a scan in far fewer clicks than I ever could with AVG.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

"Features" tend to do more harm than good, when it comes to slowing down your comp.