1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Wireless laser printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steveo_mcg, 5 Nov 2013.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Any one got a recomendation for a wireless laser printer max £100?
    Not the Samsung ML-2165w (I could not get that to connect to my network!)

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

My girlfriend has a HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer in our office, I don't use it often but it survived both her BA and MEd degrees that so can't be half bad.

steveo_mcg likes this.
  3. steveo_mcg

Only thing that put me off that was some reivews stated it came with a very small toner cartridge apart from that it does look like a solid unit and I do like HP printers.

4. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Definitely go with HP.. no doubt about it..

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

TBH, all printers comes with half filled toner / cartridges. I do like HP and Brother, but brother tends to be more expensive.

steveo_mcg likes this.
  6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

any laser printer plus decent router with print server would do if your router supports print server. most models with a USB port do.

7. steveo_mcg

My problem is where to keep the unit, a standalone printer just needing a power source is much easier to site than trying to find somwhere in the house with both power and a cat5 point, the wireless router is ancient and pretty well burried no chance of keeping anything as big as a printer with it.

Its a shame my big ex-office laser jet died of old age it had wired networking and a space in the house but the wife appropriated that when it when it went. That done a few peoples BA's in my old flat.

Cheers Guys, HP it is.

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Yeah it does come with a small toner out of the box, that's pretty normal for HP! Replacement toners aren't expensive and are a normal size.

I had a LaserJet 4200 with a generic usb wireless print server, sadly it was too big for our office when we moved house :( That thing was bulletproof and toner lasted forever.

9. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

Read some reviews about Brother HL 2270DW and HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dw. The reviews are quite good.

10. GuilleAcoustic

With laser printer, the less expensive they are the more expensive they are (read, the less the printer costs, the more the toner costs). Compact printer does accept high capacity toner, thus the price per page is higher (price per page = toner price / toner capacity in page).

The more important is to have a nice estimation of the print volume to estimate long run cost. For example, the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w (90€) has a printing cost of 0.041€ per page ... while the Brother HL-5440D (170€) has a printing cost of 0.014€ per page. Meaning that past 2962th page, the 170€ printer will cost you less to run.

As I print around 500 pages per month, the choice is easy :thumb:

Last edited: 5 Nov 2013
  11. steveo_mcg

Cheers, I'll take a look.

Now you guys have me reminiscing for my old LaserJet 5 with extended paper capacity and ethernet, that was both a pinter and a peice of furniture.

Can the compacts be refilled cheap at the ink shops? We got the mahoosive tonner cartridge for the LJ5 refilled for about £50 half way through dissertation time a few number of years back.

12. GuilleAcoustic

Yes, here's the "how to" for the HP 1102w :

13. steveo_mcg

Excellent, Thanks.

14. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

Let us know then about your decision. Good luck with your choice.

15. GuilleAcoustic

Hi mate, I do not know if you've made a choice. I just got myself a Samsung SL-M2022W and I'm very pleased with it.

[​IMG]

Since the printing volume is not a factor anymore, this little printer will do the job. Just installed it, so my "review" is fresh ...

It is a nice looking unit and really small, which is important. I've installed it via USB on my main rig (Win7 64) and wifi on my Win8 netbook. Wifi was a real pleasure to install (install driver, it scan the network, push the printer wireless button and it's done).

Printing is fast and good quality, relatively quiet (far more than our huge dinosaure at work).

The printer has the NFC feature, but I have no compatible hardware at home, so not tested.

EDIT; just printed some technical diagrams with fine lines and details ... it's all great !

Last edited: 7 Nov 2013
  16. steveo_mcg

I had murder with the little Samsung so I'm wary of trying another, I'll see if I can get one local and give it a try though.

17. GuilleAcoustic

I've read a lot of hoorible thing about the Wifi feature on the Samsung ML-2165w. Maybe they fixed things with the SL-M2022W. I had the choice between this one and the HP P1102W ... I didn't like 'all black case' of the HP, the printer color scheme decided for me (too bad their was no beige printer :D).

18. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

Guys, has anyone had their experience with Canon trademark? Does it justify its price? Canon printers are not cheap.

19. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

cannon are not cheep but normally work out one of the cheapest to run after purchase

20. steveo_mcg

Turns out the N2022w was just as bad. Another evening lost to samsung's inability to write decent software. More irritatingly I can't find the receipt so I'm envisioning a fight tomorrow when I go to take it back.

Try the HP at the weekend.