1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Anyone know how to refresh folders on a Raspberry Pi.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Parge, 13 Nov 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi guys, I use my Raspberry Pi to run XBMC – which is AMAZING by the way.

However, sometimes I copy something across to a shared network folder for us to watch on the Pi and the folder hasn’t updated with the new files, meaning I have to reboot the Pi. Is there a way to refresh single folders without rebooting?

2. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

I'm using Raspbmc on my Pi and agree, it's great!

Are you using DLNA/UPNP or accessing the Windows share folders directly using SMB?

If it's DLNA, then I have noticed this issue and it's down to the actual media server itself to refresh the list.

I use a Buffalo NAS drive and it has an option to manually refresh or to refresh automatically every XX minutes (I set mine to 15mins) in the config webpage.

If you are using a Windows share, then I apologise as I'm not sure of the answer. I'd expect it to do it automatically.

Hope this helps!

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I was using SMB, but I read a blog post by the XBMC guys who said that SMB has a big CPU overhead associated with it, and to play 1080p content smoothly you are much better off using UPNP.

I'm using a Synology DS211j, but surely its XBMC that needs to refresh the folder rather than the NAS?

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Is there a media manager that you use. I use plex and plex updates every x hours and scans folder for changes and adds any new media files. This caused me hours of hair pulling out when I could browse to the folder and open the mkv from my PC but not from my TV.
    My pi had to be RMA'd today as the SD holder broke. :(