1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel denies BGA-only processor plan rumours

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Looks like Charlie Demerjian was full of crap as usual.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Can't say I'm surprised by this.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Factoid: Charlie is made of exquisitely painted faeces, bound together by some form of primordial goo. Bear this in mind when interpreting his "work".

5. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you didn't understand the plans at all. The rumours were never 'BGA only' for Broadwell and beyond.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Shock, horror. Conveniently controversial click generating rumour turns out to be wrong. There's a turn up for the books. :rolleyes:

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I find it sad that AMD needed to jump on a rumour to somehow strengthen their position. They should get on with product research and delivery instead of piss poor PR.

8. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Given that Intel changes their socket every five minutes, would it even matter if they started welding CPUs to mobos?

9. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Means I can't mix and match CPUs with mobos. If BGA CPUs hit enthusiast desktop, it would very likely end up with with 3 or so CPU/motherboards per cycle. Using current Ivy Bridge + Asus motherboard equivalents, here's what I would expect:

3570K + Z77 equivalent as the "cheap" option
    3820K + sabertooth as "medium" option
    3960X + ROG as top-of-the line option

No in-betweens becomes near-impossible....

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

very very PR speak , intel very cagey - as allways about the future,

broadwell is far enough away to be covered by the facet of

foreseeable future - 18 months is ` long term`. that an broadwell will be moving to MCP , making it incompatable to Haswell sockets anyway

11. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Not really, unless you want to be lying, foreseeable future means as far out as you've made any concrete plans. Considering Broadwell is pretty deep in to the planning stages, that is certainly within the Foreseeable future. Heck, Broadwell's successor probably could be convered under Foreseeable future as well.

Beyond that, who knows (Intel probably doesn't have any concrete plans on packing, contact count, etc much past Broadwell/Silverwell).

12. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

I think you've hit the nail on the head, all they mean at the moment is the next cpu architecture wont be BGA (though I wouldn't be surprised if some cpu/mobo combos did turn up).
    I've always liked AMD, but haven't had a CPU from them for years, as they just cant compete at the moment.I just wish AMD could find a niche, like gaming processors, or low TDP CPU's (wishful thinking I know). They can't compete atm in almost any market and them relying on intel to go BGA only will mean intel wont just to spite them.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Intel allready supply IB server parts as BGA - its a growing market

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Intel can do what they want they hold 90% + of the current Desktop / Server CPU market, The fact is if they make a decent smartphone / tablet chip they could easily pick up apples cpu business for smartphones and tablets. ( looking at a 100mil chips a year easy) They already have distribution deals for its Macbook Range.

In 18months Intel will have chips that are capable of hitting Apples power requirements for its next products. Intel could easily offer them a better deal than what Samsung are doing at the present minute, Not sure if i was Samsung id be entirely happy with that comming to pass.

We could easily see the next big battle between Apple and Samsung been Intel on one side and Arm on the other. With Apple and Intels Resources would anyone really bet agaist them producing a chip that could blow everything away in the mobile space ( Theres already mobile cpus that are hitting insane performance figures produced by intel. They are rumored to be making a 10 watt chip this year if they get that to 5 watt ( the average smartphone cpu is 5 watts) they could snatch a tonne of business.

15. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

But by the time they've got that to five watt, ARM based processors will be at 2.5W (or twice as powerfull and still 5W), at which point Intel will begin redoveloping theirs to 2.5W...

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's probably cheaper too, configurations that are created "specifically" for a certain purpose. Plus in any case, it's to cash in on the rather lucrative server business anyhow.

17. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Indeed I think without a massive change in their business model (which might be coming up considering they seem now to be focusing more on mobile chips) Intel will almost always lag behind arm in terms of development, just as AMD play catchup to intel in the desktop market (not very well mind you), intel play catch up to arm in the mobile department.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

rasberry pi

model a is 2.5w and model b is 3.5w - allready being done

samsung galaxy Y uses the same soc as the pi , so 2.5w is allready in use;

intel coming in at 10w have a huge way to go

Last edited: 6 Dec 2012
  19. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Not according to ark.intel.com . All current server chips I can be bothred looking up use LGA something (1155,1356,1366,1567,2011). There are a few CPUs that use BGA, but nothing on mainstream desktop/server is BGA.

EDIT: Ivy Bridge isn't in anything but the lowest-end servers and workstations.... Everyone is still using Sandy Bridge/Sandy Bridge-E on midrange/high-end servers. No idea where you get your info from....

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder