1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice first build, please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kolofan, 14 Jun 2011.

1. kolofan

kolofan What's a Dremel?

Hello, I have been procrastinating wildly over this build, nearly bought a dell last week but pulled back from the brink. I am almost ready to take the plunge and like the look of the I5 deal at scan here http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/
    My question is what else do I need? E.g. cooler for cpu. rig is for video encoding mainly, some light office work. No games at all. I have a monitor, mouse, etc.

All comments greatly appreciated along with links to good threads here that can help. Budget is max £500, but low as possible.
    Cheers

2. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi kolofan,

This rig looks fine for your purposes and budget. It is just a bunch of components to build yourself - is that alright?

If you are doing video editing then you will probably benefit from some extra memory (RAM). Another 4GB will be alright given your budget. You don't need a separate CPU cooler - this is only needed if you are over clocking your CPU and that's not actually possible with the processor in the machine you're looking at.

One other thing to think about is the programs you are using to do your video editing. The intel sandy bridge processors have really solid acceleration for video encodes and decodes, if you are using the right program. I don't have a list of supported programs handy but perhaps you can tell us what program you use.

Cheers

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
    mvagusta likes this.
  3. kolofan

kolofan What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I know that its components, this will be my first build. I have tools, space and a spare weekend.

Mainly encode my own dvds with handbrake. Takes 2 hours on my laptop at the moment

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  4. roosauce

The system will be much more powerful than your laptop undoubtedly. Here's a market ing blurb about Intel quicksync and supported programs that might help.

http://www.intel.com/technology/quicksync/index.htm

Basically, if you use one of these programs when you get to video encode and decode, then you can do encode and/or decode at the same time (i.e. Transcode) lightning fast and at good quality.

The dedicated acceleration aside, you are still looking at a quad core modern processor. There are faster chips out there for sure, but it will be no slouch. The 2500k for instance will run faster and overclock well ... The CPU upgrade is less than £20, but then you would probably want a CPU cooler for ~£25 also. There's always something faster ;)

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  5. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

A great place for hardware and packaged systems to build is newegg.com
    You can select your hardware individually or buy a pre-configured system to build yourself.
    For what your needing, a very good budget pc can be built for under $800.00

6. kolofan

kolofan What's a Dremel?

Do newegg deliver to the uk? What about warranty?

7. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

I'm sure they do, and warranty is usually 30days plus any manufacturers after that. Once you OverClock any of your hardware your warranty is voided.

8. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

found this online don't know if it is any good
    if you like amd and ebay it is a good option

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-II-x4-960T-3-0GHz-8MB-Quad-Core-AM3-95W-/260792093794?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item3cb86b8c62#ht_2369wt_905"URL]

9. roosauce

Newegg does not ship internationally. Stick with local guys like Scan or CCL.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Here is a list of good to ok UK etailers:
    Scan.co.uk
    Ebuyer.com
    Amazon.co.uk
    play.com,
    Yoyotech

Best RMA I have had is with Scan and ebuyer, they collect and replace free of cost.

(if it is a DOD of course)

11. Dewi

Dewi What's a Dremel?

Any reason why www.dabs.co.uk isn't on your list? Your list matched the one I have in my head bar that one ommission.