1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel gives Altera tri-gate tech for its FPGAs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Ooh I use Altera FPGAs all the time for uni. Would be love to get my hands on one of these.

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Yeah we used altera FPGA's when I was at uni too, think we used the xilinx spartan 3 to learn with in the first 2 years after that we went onto a board based around the stratix 3. I think a lot of education institutions use them to teach their students.

4. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

Aye, we've been fed a steady diet of Spartan 3E's at uni but just had to swap all of them out with the newer versions of Xilinx ISE not supporting 3E's and Win7 not supporting older versions of ISE / the older versions having tons of bugs in them.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

We sadly don't get our hands on any actual FPGA boards yet, just simulating stuff, but this is pretty cool.

K.I.T.T. you use ISE on a W7 machine?

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I happily used ISE 12.3 on Win7 with a Spartan3E when I was at uni. Looks like they're on version 14 now, but I don't know how much better it is.

I hope you have deep pockets :p

7. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Actually they sit on the other side of ASICs - to one side there are (far more specialized) GPPs and to the other side there are (unspecialized) PGAs.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've never really thought of it from that perspective: I've always seen the spectrum as being GPPs->FPGAs->ASICs. GPPs perform your task slowly; FPGAs perform the task faster, but at a loss of generalisation; and ASICs perform your task the fastest of all but perform *only* your task.

I can see what you mean if you're looking at things as a generalisation, rather than performance, spectrum, though.