1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant I hate the new Android update

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 16 Apr 2015.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've just updated my Xperia Z2 to the latest Android OS - pretty much forced on you since the damn thing will hark on about it until you do - and I hate it. Here are some issues:

1) I hate the new layout. Especially the way that browser windows are now treated the same as all other programmes. Which brainiac thought that up?

2) The hotspot function is now borked. My systems can link to the hotspot but now can't access the internet, despite the fact that the phone can. It seems I'm not alone on this and nobody has a fix yet.

3) Yet more 'change things which are fine so that they are a ballache to use now' things.

4) Stop f**king install useless piece of s**t social apps that I don't want! I don't want a movie made of the last month of my life - I don't need it! I was there for f**k's sake!

5) How the hell do I turn off the battery sucking thing that is the email exchange server now? Even that has had it's name changed.

I tried a hard reset which didn't solve the hotspot issue and on top of that I forgot to backup my widget which had my passwords and stuff on. Woop de doo.

All this happens the day before I'm to move into my new house and will be without internet for a week. I know, first world problems and all, but damn it's annoying.

Lesson learnt with Android devices. Don't bother 'upgrading' unless you actually have to.

Anyone sharing the pain? Better yet, anyone solved these problems?

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Apart from having no idea how to do anything yet, I kinda like it.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The "treat a tab as a program" thing is stupid, IMO. Luckily you can turn it off.

Go into the browser settings and set "merge tabs and apps" to off.

Other than that, I can't help you!

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I have similar thoughts regarding Lollipop since it was installed on my HTC One M8. It's bloody awful, glitchy, slow, battery draining and unstable. Not just on my phone either, same on my old Nexus 7 and even on my Shield tablet. All of the same problems.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Ahhh, so that's what's making my Dads Nexus 7 lag out now.

All of a sudden, I'm not so bothered that Tesco haven't updated the Moto G to Lollipop yet, :D

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Continually accidentally turning off wifi when long pressing it instead of bringing up wifi settings is getting on my nerves. And then it always reconnects to the wrong network so I have disconnect and reconnect...argghhh.

Considering I have mobile data off most of the time it'll be interesting to see how my Z3 Compact's 4-5 day battery life will change.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm seriously considering buying a new phone in the hope it hasn't been updated with this piece of crap yet.

Edit:

You, sir, are a life saver.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I think your complaints may be just as directed at Sony's interpretation of Android than Android itself - a few of the things you mention aren't things on vanilla android.

By "latest", do you mean 5.0 or 5.1?

If it's the former, 5.0 is undeniably a ".0" release in every way, and 5.1 is a marked improvement. I do wish google would hold back sometimes, but then you would have people complaining how long updates take, it's a lose-lose situation. Overall, I'm a fan of lollipop, and 5.1 has resolved any previous issues with runaway processes chewing through battery.

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

5.1 now gives you a little drop down selector, a massive improvement if you ask me!

No worries Pete :thumb:

10. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

My original Moto G (3G version) has the update on Tesco.

I don't hate it but I think several things are a little frustrating like the lock screen pattern not being shown immediately. The tab/window thing was frustrating me too but have changed the setting now thanks to the tip here.

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My 4G Moto G on EE doesnt have it coming for a while yet for some reason

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Mines a 4G Moto G on Tesco, seems to be very hit and miss on the order in which devices are getting the update.

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Meh its awesome on my Nexus 5

The merge tabs thing is a must though, that was stupid.

Other than that its been great.

14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

we (moto g 4G owners) got a prep update for it 2 weeks ago, so it will be soon. make sure you update Motorola update services or you wont get the update

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It's working great on my Moto G (1st gen) and after a few niggles with the initial Lollipop release version, v5.1 works great on my Nexus 7 2012.

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

This. 5.1 is a marked improvement over 5.0 - it runs more smoothly and reliably. all in all I like version 5, it seems like a more coherent experience, at least when it hasn't been messed with by a manufacturer. (I have a Nexus 5).

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'm enjoying it on my galaxy 4. Very smooth

18. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Another Sony Z user (well, Z3...). The tabs thing bugged me but as already mentioned, I found a way of sorting that out. The thing still really annoying me is having the lock screen wallpaper change to whatever the album cover is of music that's playing, and the music widget on lock screen can no longer seek through a track.

19. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Seems fine on my HTC One M8.

Top marks on the tabbed browsing tip, this was indeed a stupid design decision.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Hummm, so I can await a support call from my dad when his nexus 7 updates :rolleyes:

I don't even have any experience since Samsung doen't upgrade Sh*t :miffed:

Oh, My father-in-law was sitting in our kitchen going "where'd-this-come-from" for an hour after the update this week, also sony, so yeah they've embedded a new ton of crapware.