1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows multiboot; Win 7 + Win 7 + RAID 0 = No chance!

Discussion in 'Software' started by debs3759, 14 Apr 2012.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm currently setting up a dual-boot system with 2 copies of Windows 7 professional (off the same install media). My SSDs were in RAID 0, but Windows install would not let me install on a second partition with the drives in RAID 0.

I deleted the existing partitions, then rebooted and changed the drive configuration in the BIOS to AHCI, and have managed to install both required installations on the first drive. That has led me to two questions:

Is there a legit way to install both copies with the drives in RAID? I have the correct drivers for install time. I like the speed of RAID 0 SATA 3 SSDs! Mind you, if it can't be done, I can take out the extra drive and use it in another benching system :)

Both copies are just called Windows 7 in the boot menu. Is there a way to change the names (one will have AMD drivers, the other NVidia, for testing cards)? It used to be possible by editing boot.ini, but it now uses a hidden partition.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm confused. Why a dual boot system with Windows 7 on both boot partitions?

There should be no reason why you couldn't partition a RAID array and have a dual boot system off it so far as I know.

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

It's for a GPU benching system that will be used to test both NVidia and AMD/ATI cards.

I think the version of RST on the Rampage IV Extreme support disk is buggy, I'm going to download the latest. I can't install it for AHCI support - windows won't boot after installing it. I guess the driver might have been part of the problem. No probs, I don't need RAID 0 speeds to bench GPUs :)