1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other best OS for me

Discussion in 'Software' started by javaman, 8 Apr 2012.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey everyone. Recently, due to lack of use, I decided I want to repurposed my desktop pc as a file server. I started experimenting with amachi but am starting to think it isn't the best or most simplest solution. Atm I currently have 3.35TB of disks in it and will be expanding this in the coming weeks or months depending on prices.

Currently at home I have an xp machine, my laptop, a netbook,my brothers laptop and a couple of phones that I would like to have a central location for storage and access. I would also like to be able to set up home email and calander and hopefully be able to sync with an android device (default calander sucks and doesn't play nice when adding dates with three calanders feeding into it.

basically what is the best OS for the job? Ive been playing about with hamachi but with windows home server being so cheap wouldn't it be an easier and more equiped solution? any advice and explaining the advantages between each would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you are a student, at a school that is registered at MSDNAA, then you have the full and latest Windows Server version waiting for you.

If not, you have Linux and as you mentioned Windows Home Server. I haven't touch either, but I would guess that if your are in a Windows environment at home, I would go with Windows Home Server, especially that it is so cheap (much cheaper than normal Windows too).

What I like about Windows, is that you know it will be easy to use, and won't have to fiddle with command line and stuff.

Here is an overview Windows Home Server:

Last edited: 8 Apr 2012
    javaman likes this.
  3. javaman

:duh: I complete forgot about the MSDNAA Guess that solves it. cheers goodbytes :thumb:

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

However I believe those licenses are for personal use/testing.
    Once your MSDNAA is expired then you will need to replace the key or install a new OS.

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

They are for academic purposes, so using it in a home network to simulate a small business setup would be okay ;)

and they never expire :p

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'd use arch Linux.

But that is just me.

7. GoodBytes

The license for Student of Windows and all software available is that you can use it for educational purposes or home. Not business. javaman has nothing to worry about, unless he lunches a web site which sales something, or run a business.

8. javaman

Check the website and they have server 2008 in many flavours and forms. Trying to decide is there any advantage or point to going to anything above standard apart from the fact I can.

As far as Im aware it is a permanent licence, tho I'm looking at T&C's just to confirm.

If I want email I should also be looking to get exchange?

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

license technically expires when your education has ended

10. javaman

I can't find anywhere that confirms or deny's this. I'll continue digging

11. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Gah! How many times - it is not only Windows that has fancy GUI tools to do all the configuration for you! Take Samba for example. A simple 4 clicks away on Ubuntu (open, select, click install, verify) to install, then right click on a folder and share! In fact, the install process might be even easier as the right click menu warns if Samba is not installed!
    /rant

But seriously, stop treating Linux like a tool for ultra-h4x0rs, it's not. It used to be, but now most common distributions actually move the user away from the terminal. In fact, Ubuntu is even limiting customization in the attempt to cater for the 'average' user.

EDIT: Oh yes, and actually replying to the OP:
    I would just install Ubuntu, then install Samba, and share from that. See above in the rant for details

12. javaman

Found it after I clicked proceed to checkout

13. GoodBytes

Yea, I don't think the product key ACTUAL expires. I will be surprised if it does.
    Just you won't get access to MSDNAA. Some software like Visual Studio (all editions), which cost 2-3x the price of Windows, don't even have a product key for the MSDNAA version.

14. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I'd better start hording keys off my accounts then LOL