1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Borg Morg - convection cooled assimilation

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kipman725, 25 Jul 2005.

1. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Hello this is my first project log on Bit-Tech, I did have about 2000 words on the screen about this mod but firefox crashed (I think caused by fire-ftp). So I will wast no time in further waffel.

My mod is based on the black version of this case:
    [​IMG]
    A nasty pre mod.

I am transforming the case into an increadably light convection cooled borg themed monstrosity. This involves lots of mesh and relocating the psu. Also black split loom will be used to emulate the look of the borg.

I have already fitted a larger north bridge heatsink to my mobo and stuck the old north bridge sink to the south bridge. The system without any fans it wil have to cope with greater ambiant temp levels:
    [​IMG]

I have also chopped the stock grill away, this space will be filled with mesh:
    [​IMG]

At the moment Im waiting to be able to afford some reinforced cutting discs so I can cut the metal areas I need to. I am also going to order some acrylic so I can engrave the borg symbol into it:
    [​IMG]

Cost break down:
    zorro case - £20
    zalaman nbridge heatsink - £5
    As5 thermal adhesive - £10
    Draper tool - £30
    Goggles - £1
    total - £66
    (all figures aproximations)

Coming soon:
    drive bay covers modified with mesh to allow air to circulate better. :dremel:
    (eta. 3-4 days im at a lan :D)

comments apreciated!

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I love borg!

3. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I will definitely be looking at this mod closely for ideas as I own a bezel similar to this from the same company.

4. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

LONG LIVE THE BORG!!!

5. Kipman725

update time! :)

I have removed the hard disk rack, the psu is going to be mounted in the hard drive racks with some acrylic ducting so that its air intake is where the floppy drives would be mounted and it blows heated air out of the bottom of the case. As the only way to mount it in that location is so that it blows out the bottom of the case I don't want it disrupting the flow of air upwards - hence the ducting.
    [​IMG]

I have also finished drilling the drive covers.
    [​IMG]
    The whole front is getting a re spray after I have bondo'd it and sanded it down.

*I'm very sorry about the convoluted English I use, I am so bad at spelling I cannot use normal words or phrases without misspelling them so badly that even a spell checker cannot deduce which word I wish to spell.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2005
  6. PirateTheMeep

PirateTheMeep What's a Dremel?

Should be sweet!

7. Kipman725

*fixed the images in my last post.

ok I dicided not to do a new post to avoid it looking like I was bumping for no reason :) (also my mod sucks compared to what other people can do mainly as I have no skills so I don't want to take any attention away from them)

I have no money at the moment but when I get some I plan to buy these castors:
    http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/943615
    they should raise the case high enough for the psu to exaust (it's practicly running passivly, you can see the fan blades spinning!)

tommrow I shall make a wooden former to bend the mesh around (when I can afford it) and clean the chassies.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2005
  8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Bring out the green El-wire and cathodes! :D

9. Kipman725

no cathodes, they give too diffused light or EL wire as it only lasts about a week before loosing its brightness.

but lots of ultra bright LEDS :D

10. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

This should be interesting

11. Kipman725

Todays update! :dremel:

I made a wooden block to bend the mesh around for the main vent at the front:
    [​IMG]
    although it's very rough on one side it wont rearly matter when I actualy use it as I only have to get the bend in aproximatly the right place.

I will attach the mesh to the front using this type of screw:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2425.html
    but hopefully I will be able to get them cheeper as I will be using quite alot in my mod.

I cannot mod tommorow as I have been forced to visit my grandparents and watch them slide further into the grave for the day :sigh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Plans for wednesday:
    make former for floppy bay mesh and remove some plastic from that area to allow the mesh to sit straight.

remove window from windowed side panels, I will use the acrylic for my engravings and replace it with mesh.

teach myself how to engrave... if I suck very badley I have a backup plan which I know will work and look awsome.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also saw these:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_2108.html

I plan to use these in the floppy bays so they shine through the mesh.