1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How not to play FPS's, and how to play chess

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jester_612, 2 Dec 2012.

1. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Starts slow, but by the end I was howling.

I figure they were off their face on something, just by the reaction times, but everything was just - wrong. There is so much for this person to work on to improve, positioning, awareness, kit usage and the most important thing - the objective.

It made me think of what I've learned this year, and to bring real value to this thread, I thought it might be good to discuss techniques and thinking behind what we all do, for the benefit of us all.

To start with (imagining what I would say to this person) two fundamentals for a new fps gamer to work on.

Aiming: Using a single shot weapon is hard, and very unforgiving. It's best to start off with spray weapons, then start to improve that accuracy hit percentage (above 14% depending on game). Muscle memory is an import aspect to this, much like sports. Consistency comes from stability of settings and practice. Things that effect look speed from mouse input; sensitivity, acceleration, mouse dpi (if adjustable), screen resolution, field of view(FoV) and, aiming down sight magnification (different optics change the FoV).

Staying Alive: Being alive is important, if your dead you can't influence what is going on. Be evasive and get to cover. Also after a point, going forward is bad for your health, I work out a safe green area and a contested 'no mans land' zone. Where I am stood is where the contested zone is in sight from, and thus a combat area.

So any more for any more?

Last edited: 12 Dec 2012
  2. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

ROFLMAO!
    A very long distance weapon in a close quarters map? Yeah!

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Awareness; I find that simply paying attention to everything as best you can does wonders for performance. Lets take the other big modern FPS as an example: BF3. Just because you don't tag someone doesn't mean you don't know where they are, I've saved myself from death so many times just by catching people out of the corner of the screen and reacting before I'm gunned down.

This also has something of a relevance to the map: Learn it. Nao. Pay attention to what others do on the map, you might learn new tricks, or you might think up something so balls to the wall insane that it'll work because no one expects it.

Secondly; Suitability. Don't bring a sniper-rifle to a shotgun fight, and the inverse. You can sometimes get away with the unexpected if you're quick, or have the element of surprise; But don't think you can outspray someone with an SMG with your astoundingly slow bolt-action rifle, It's just not going to happen.

Talking more directly to the person in the video; MOVE. Sitting in one place is one of the most assured things to get you cornered and shot. A moving target is harder to hit, and you're less likely to be targeted for being a camping pillock. Sometimes it's a valid tactic, but eventually; someone will get you, be it via RPG, airstrike, pure blind luck; You will die. A corner and a tent will not prevent this action.

Finally; Hipfire. This is something of a messy one (Since some people take it to extremes), but if you're engaged in a close-range brawl with someone and you've got the faster weapon; Spray and keep moving. As above; A moving target is far harder to riddle with bullet holes, so rely on that fact to try and keep you alive while you bullethose the other guy into bloodied pulp.

That's just how I play, I expect someone out there may say the exact opposite of everything i've said. I do enjoy my fair bit of camping with a sniper rifle, but the dude above is slow, I'm fairly certain i've seen a Glacier move downhill with more pace.

Edit; Oh, And the fine art of the Melee; Don't be afraid to stab someone in the face/back (Game dependant) - It saves ammo, makes less noise, and it's just that bit more satisfying. It can sometimes be so much faster than trying to shoot your opponent too.

I should probably point out I'm writing this lot as if I were talking to someone at similar levels of skill and reaction to the dolt in the video above. I honestly wonder if he wasn't higher than a kite at the time.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2012
  4. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Not so much for DM modesw but remembering to complete the objective gets on my nerves when the rest of my team forget about it.

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Thanks Tunny, you improved your lagging?

Now TDM, does have functions to be mindful of. Force multiplication, spawn systems and timing. These are actually basics that carry over to objective modes, under the more complex ideas. There is something I think of as bad team syndrome, where the team fails to appreciate these concepts above.

Force Multiplication
    Simple 2 guns vs 1 gun, no brainer really.

Spawn Systems
    In my limited experience random spawns, try to safely spawn you, which often means with or behind your team. Now this can all be turned to the excrement of flying pigs by over extensions of a few into that area and cause a flip. To my mind this is bad, as it disrupts stability, as now there are threats all around instead of in one direction.

Timing
    This isn't something of it's own really but, an extension to multiplication. If you team, at every moment presses forward without regard for it's strength in depth, then you could be put into a spawn rape position. This is where your effective team becomes smaller than the other, due to respawn timers. In this situation strength needs to be regained by just staying alive long enough for your teams strength to return. That was in a broader sense, on a smaller scale, pushing into full team will get you killed. Whereas if you work a few picks, and erode their strength in a timely manner, you could possibly push into the remaining few before the first few respawn.

Now has any one benefited from this?

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Didn't watch much I have to say. The first few seconds of the video when he is up at the window I was almost shouting at him to move..his awareness of what was going on did seem hampered. Maybe he was drunk lol.