1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Problem with 7800 gtx ... no video signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaml0r, 2 Nov 2005.

1. gaml0r

gaml0r What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I received my new pc today ... I've got a geforce 7800 gtx ...

It's the first pci and my first geforce card I own ...

I tried to start everything ... power cable ... adapter for the grey slot of the 7800 gtx (came with pc) with monitor cable ...
    (looks like http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-7800gtx-profileLG.jpg)

... but there is no signal coming to the monitor ... tested different one ... same problem

... graphic card and the whole rest of the pc seems to be running and has power ...

Would be nice if someone can help me fast ... I need to play WoW !!!!! :D

-Tom

Last edited: 3 Nov 2005
  2. gaml0r

gaml0r What's a Dremel?

doesn't anybody know any advice ????

3. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

What PSU do you have? Off the top of my head, the card may not be getting enough power.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Very possibly insufficient power - what supply are you using? You'll need a quality branded 450W minimum to run that PC with a little headroom.

5. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

Im doubt the Shuttle PSU can cope up with that monstrous setup you have in ur sig

6. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

EDIT: removed the bit about the fx,

or it could be the gfx isnt getting enough power, but if seen people with 7800gtx's in the sn25p and they work fine. so i have my doubts

Last edited: 3 Nov 2005
  7. Tim S

Tim S OG

:confused:

8. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

oops, was somthing i read about it over at xtremesystems briefly , after a googling session it seems to be 200fsb . so it could still be a doa chip?

9. gaml0r

gaml0r What's a Dremel?

mhmhm

I tried to reset cmos yesterday but didn't work ...

I have the standard psu Silent X 350W ...

It's basically the same as this pc which has the same psu ... would they sell it if it doesn't work.

What psu can you recommend and fits in my sn25p ???

-Tom

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Hmm, let's assume the PSU is good for now, then. Since you've tested a different monitor (unless you were referring to the ports in your post, I'm unsure), it has to be either faulty internal hardware or a configuration error. It sounds obvious, I know, but are you trying the right port on the card? Make sure it's in the one marked "1".

Have you booted up this PC before? The fault could be anywhere - there are many things which will cause it not to boot... try plugging a keyboard in and hitting the numlock key, then checking if the light on the keyboard comes on - this will tell us if the CPU is alive.

Is the RAM in the correct slots? Since 939 runs in dual-channel, it's more picky about placement; the motherboard manual should tell you which two banks it needs to be placed in to run correctly.

It also might be worth checking all connections (ATX12V connector, PCI-E connector, drive cables etc. etc.) and reseating the RAM and graphics card. If all fails, then try the bootstrap approach - disconnect everything but CPU, PSU, graphics, and RAM and see what happens then.

Good luck :)

11. gaml0r

gaml0r What's a Dremel?

Ok... I tried "bootstrap approach" ... unplugged quite everything and plugged it back in ... even cpu ... quite painful in a barebone :) both didn't help

I tried a imac usb keyboard but there appeared no light ...

I saw that theres a minimum for the 7800 gtx ... 450w ... :/ i have 350w

1. can i like let the graphic card run at 50% or so that it takes less power ???
    2. I think it's the psu that's not enough ... does anybody know a good and small one for my shuttle ??
    3. or does anyone have any ideas what I could do ?

12. fatty

fatty Minimodder

Does the shuttle mobo have the same power connectors as a full size mobo if so then get a full size ATX psu a higher rated one and test it out if you have a spare psu floating around if not then try buying a bigger shuttle psu take the card to a mates house and test it in his pc???

13. gaml0r

gaml0r What's a Dremel?

Ok,

I got the psu of a friend today ... it has 500W ... so enough
    (it's this one)

I tried to plug everything in but his psu has no atx3 and pn5 cable ?!?!?

Could I use the original shuttle psu for those 2 (atx3/pn5) and my friend's one for the powersupply of gpu,hdd, fdd, ... ???
    (so do 2 different psu work at the same time or do fry my whole pc then ???)

-Tom

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

What the heck is an atx3 and pn5 cable? I know my PSUs pretty well and those are certainly new terms to me. And Dynex is hardly a real brand, combining that with the fact that it was $99 at worst buy, it's about the equivalent of a $15 500w jobbie. My 300w Zalman PSU can deliver more power....

In any case, provided you could even get both PSUs to start (doable, but going by what it seems like you know about it, it probably wouldn't be the best idea to try yet). Anyways, if you're using a Shuttle, chances are it's not the PSU. Could be a dead card, any number of things being improperly seated, or something power-related but not necessarily with the PSU (something not plugged in or whatever).

IIRC the SN25p doesn't include a native PCIE aux power plug (6pin - 3 12v, 3 ground). Did you use the Y-adaptor with two molexes to give the card extra power?

Tags: