1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Should I move to consoles or stick with PC Gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 7 Feb 2010.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hey guys,

absolute atrocity here, I feel like a total Judas but I'm considering migrating from PC gaming to a console (Probably a PS3). Reason being, the cost of upgrading my PC rig to get up to the MINIMUM standards I want to play the games that I want will cost £200. For £50 more I can get a console and be satisfied with that, although I would have to shell out for new peripherals, more controllers, more expensive games

The games I really want to play:
    Aliens Vs Predator
    Bioshock 2
    Battlefield BC2

All FPS games and all games I'd rather play with Keyboard and Mouse...

Oh and Diablo 3 (when that arrives next year lol)

So yeah...should I switch or not?

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

well why dont you have both options! Have a ps3 and a pc this way you have the best of both worlds.

3. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

I'd stick with the PC. Much more cost effective upgrading it.
    -Graphics are normally equal or better on a pc, with higher resolution.
    -Games are cheaper.
    -Keyboard and mouse are better at controlling the games.

4. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

No!

If you think of the value you get when you upgrade your computer, you get nicer gaming and a nicer computer to use when not gaming. If you get a console you'll only get nicer gaming.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm with flame, altho my ps3 is only used for those awesome eastern games that arent available on the pc.

Im a PC gamer mainly, hehe MAXIMUM GAME!

what the who are you? argh get off me! MAXIMUM STRENGTH, noooooo gtfo! MAXIMUM ARMOUR! ARGH GET TAHT ****ING JACKET OFF ME!

/me is dragged off to the funny farm :(

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Go multiplatform! I have a 360 and a PC and i couldn't be happier.

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Their's no shame getting a ps3, i've heard it has great graphics and you get a blu ray player, hook it up to a HD TV and i'm sure it's very decent.

Pc gamers are stuck with console quality graphics, because the games are made for consoles.

All they can do is up the RES and AA to justify the huge dent in their wallets.

Crysis was the exception, but that won't be happening again.

I game on the pc only, but wanted to put in an argument for consoles.

8. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I have a ps3, a xbox 360, a PC (see rig) and i have a wife and 2 kids (plus another on the way) i still have time to play all formats

its great having all the formats you can play all the best games on different formats like MGS on the ps3 gears of war on the xbox 360 and crysis on the pc so you dont miss out on any games

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

The first question we need to ask is what your current PC's specs are! That way we'll have a better idea of whether or not a console makes more sense than an upgrade.

There's plenty of legitimate reasons to buy a console - usually ease of use and exclusive games (and the low up-front cost, as you pointed out), especially if you only game infrequently or socially and therefore can't justify having to learn how to optimize PC games and the like. On the other hand, you pay higher game prices and have none of the customization or flexibility of the PC. Also bear in mind that the current console generation is now over five years old (the PS3 appeared a year later than the Xbox 360) so the console's much-vaunted play-everything ability might not last as long as the upgrades to your PC. The question is whether you play to the console's strengths or weaknesses.

So - what's in your current PC? And what were you planning on upgrading?

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've got a 360 and a PC, I buy stuff like strategy games on my PC and everything else on my 360. I don't have any problem using a controller for FPSes myself.

11. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Answered your own question. Stick with pc! Although multiplatform is a good way to go if money allows and some of the exclusives on xbox or ps3 take your fancy.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

my current pc spec is:

socket 939 athlon x2 4200 running at 2.4 ghz
    2gb ddr 400mhz ram
    xfx 8800GTS 320

The hardware forum has suggested keeping my GPU and upgrading the mobo, ram and ram to the following set up

CPU- Athlon II X2 240 or Phenom II X2 550
    MOBO - MSI 770 - C45
    RAM - DDR3 4GB

this will cost £200. thing is, how much of an improvement will this make and what will run more fluid: PC or PS3?

also, my cousin plays PS3 and will also get BF2BC....really stuck as to what to do!

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I have a PS3 for sale in the market place.

Simon

14. Bolx

Bolx The Dogs

i have a few mates who game on the pc and xbox / ps3

But for me theres only one option......PC!!!

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd stick with PC unless there are console games you really want to play.

But seeing as there are many multi-platform games...

16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i have a pc and a xbox and i only use my pc my xbox 360 was a waste of money in my opnion

17. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Have you played on consoles sotu1?

I would highly recommend getting some game time on the sort of games that you want to play. I recently bought a PS3 a little worried at how FPS would play on a controller. At the moment I've been playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta and thoroughly enjoying it. It took around a few hours to get used to playing a FPS game on the PS3 controller (for the first time ever) and it comes effortlessly now.

Get some playtime on a friends console if you can, it would be even better if a friend could let you borrow if for a week or two.

On a side note I've always wondered why don't Playstation/console manufactures make it mandatory for certain games to support keyboard/mouse input. It would help the transition easier for PC gamers onto a console. E.G. I hear Dragonage plays much better on a PC due to the input.

18. October

October Mariachi Style

As regards the upgrade, get the Phenom 2 and unlock yourself a quad-core :thumb:

I've only played Modern Warfare on my housemates PS3 and after a few hours getting used to the controls it's completely natural now. Saying that, I wouldn't buy one for myself because I'm always gonna want a PC as well and there's no point owning both (I don't count my Wii - different beast). Plus I just bought a 360 controller for comfier driving :D

In fairness, what did you really expect to be told here? :lol:

19. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I think he feels some loyalty for the pc, but if you want a ps3 then get one

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I wouldn't say much better, a bit, but you're not really missing out on anything, it's just it's a little easier to micromanage the combat