1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Help Building a computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samozamo, 19 Jul 2010.

1. samozamo

samozamo What's a Dremel?

My old pc recently died on me for no real reason. (I moved my bedroom around and when I plugged it all back in and tried to use it, it just would connect to my monitor and just doesnt seem to turn on properly.)

But now I have decided to get a new one and I want to build one. The only problem is I don't have a huge buget (maybe £400 - £500, closer to £400 the better). If it's not possible, I was looking at the computer to just buy (link below). But wasn't sure if that's the best for the money.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186618

Budget:
    £400 - £500 (Closer to £400 the better).

Main uses of intended build:
    Casual gaming (The Sims, Civilization, some RTS's, etc...)
    Web browsing
    Watching films and Tv show
    Music

Parts required:
    Everything, but if I can use the OS from my previous computer some how, I wouldn't mind doing that until a later date, so I could spend more on other parts.

Monitor resolution:
    Would be using my old monitor for now, that is 17inch's, can't recall the resolution. But will be looking to in the future buy a 20-22inch monitor. (Will be using old monitor for now to save money for other parts.)

Storage requirements:
    500GB will be more than enough.

will you be overclocking:
    No

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Onboard sound.

Extra information about desired system:
    Will want to upgrade in the future.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2010
  2. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

3. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

As for the compaq, I'd be mad if I found it! There's a lot of satisfaction to be had by building your own.

4. samozamo

Thank you

Thank you for your reply, well the two of them :).

I was just wondering, is necessary to spend £120 on a graphics card?

Plus what do you mean you'd be mad? Should I stay clear from Compaqs?

5. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

No you don't have to do anything you don't want to :)

It depends on what you want to do with the pc. Do you intend to play games? If so, which ones and on what size of screen?

If you are not a gamer then there are Much cheaper options.

6. samozamo

Tbh I've never been a big pc gamer, but thats mostly down to never having a decent pc. I've always relied on the ones my parents have got (I'm 18 btw). But games I would mostly be likely to play games such as The Sims, Civilization, etc.

As for the monitor I would be using the old monitor thats a mere 17inchs I think, but I'll be looking to get a 20-22inch monitor when I have the computer.

Any views on this card?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189621

Oh and thank you for your reply :D

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

That card will struggle with a 1680x1050 on even old games.

8. samozamo

Oh really? Good thing I brought it up then :)

I'm not great at this, how can I tell how good a graphics card is?

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

The only way is to read review as they they so much.
    On paper one might be better than another but that might not be the truth if you want to play game with excellent graphics you will be looking at an Nvidia 460 GTX.
    But a 5770 will be ok as long as you don't want everything turned up to the max

10. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

There's no foolproof way to tell from just the numbers so you can only really rely on benchmarks. I personally use the Tom's Hardware chart (here) quite a lot as it's reliable & has a wide variety of tested cards.

I'd go for either the ATI 5770 or save some money & get an older generation ATI 4850/4870/Nvidia GTS 250 depending on whichever you find cheapest.

11. roosauce

There are two recent threads on this forum about best graphics cards for under £150 and under £100.

There's a lot if posts but hopefully it will give you some ideas.

12. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Although such a restrictive budget does help focus our advice, it'd still be best if we knew exactly what you were planning on using this thing for. Could you start here, if you get a moment?

13. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

Do you think that you would do more PC gaming if you had a more powerful computer, i know i did when i got a better one. Last thing, have you bought the CPC mag thats out now? because it has a sub £400 system in it and they go through how to build and what to do. :)

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hey mate!

Lots of info I know.

You have to remember, everyone on this site is a computer enthusiast of some sort, and we will always recommend you build your own because that is what we want to do. I understand that some people are not confident enough with tech to do that so don't be put off buying an off the shelf unit. Shops like www.scan.co.uk do good off the shelf systems, that will serve you well if you are not playing PC games.

However, if you do intend to game, then I also suggest building your own, especially if you are on a tight budget.

This months issue of Custom PC has a "build your own PC for £400" feature which I recommend you read if you fancy doing it.

For you, in terms of graphics cards, a 460GTX is probably overkill, an ATI 5770 will do you fine (especially as since you don't know whether or not you will be playing lots of games so there is no point in investing lots of money in them).

If you want further advice keep asking questions here, we will do our best to help you out.

15. shah

shah Minimodder

Hey mate,

I am running a HD5770 and have a 22" monitor. It runs fine but the only game I run is the COD MW2 and have no problems. I think HD5770 should be enough for your needs for now.

16. samozamo

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replys, I went out and got that issue of Custom PC, which reading through has been interesting and confusing lol.

PureSilver - I have added that infomation to my original post, thanks for the tip :).

Thanks for all your help so far. I didn't know what to expect when I first posted on this site, but its been great.

17. roosauce

Subscribe! It's an awesome little monthly treat in your letterbox :)

18. samozamo

I think I will do! I went out and got it Wednesday I think (The August issue) and then went in WHSmiths yesterday and they already had Septembers issue. Is that right? lol

19. samozamo

I was just on jsty3105's thread and they got round to this build, as I'm not looking to get a monitor yet, it would then make the total of this just a fraction over £400. Which would be ideal. Any other suggestions?

20. roosauce

That's right, 'September' just came out. For some reason all of the mags use future dates ...