1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Good 500W+ PSU under £50?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strudul, 22 Jul 2010.

1. Strudul

Strudul ~

I've had a look around and read a few reviews. Which of these PSUs is the best for my budget?

The graphics card I am intending on buying (GTX 460) says I will require at least 450W.

Modular and non-modular is not that important because I will be using most of the cables anyway.

500W Antec Basiq Power BP500U
    550W Antec Basiq Plus BP550PLUS (modular)
    500W Silverstone Strider ST50F-ES
    500W Silverstone Strider ST50F
    500W Silverstone Strider ST50F-230 (modular)
    530W Be Quiet PurePower L7 BN106
    500W OCZ StealthXStream
    600W OCZ StealthXstream II
    500W OCZ ModXStream Pro (modular)

Thanks

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

3. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

I myself am the (pleased) owner of a 600 watt OCZ Stealthxstream power-supply, and the only real complaint I have with it is that the 24pin cable is a bit too short to properly be routed through my cable-tidy holes ( Ill probably have another crack at the tidying this weekend).

Another thing I noticed when I was choosing the thing was that the 500 watt one you seem to have selected only appears to have one graphic card power connector, which was one of the main reasons i got the 600 watt one, so I would go through that list again and double check cos the 460 is actually a realtively high-end product amongst some lower end products (especially for 50 or less!)

I cant really think of anything else to say except take Ph4Zed's advice and go for the most reputable name possible:D

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

OCZ StealthXStream does only come with one 6pin, but the graphics card comes with an adapter for 4pin to 6 pin... I think

Also I think getting a 450W PSU is a bad idea since I was intending on overclocking and I have a lot of fans and cathodes

5. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

Have you an idea of exactly how much you will be willing to over-clock? Im not sure exactly how accurate the psu calculators are but they generally give an impression and this will probably help formulate what kind of step up you need (unless you have already done this and 500 watt is all you need xD).
    I think you may already have done this but I would scour the comments sections and reviews on google products and stuff like that just to see what peoples experiences for each product just incase there are any-nasty surprises in store reliability wise.

6. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  7. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

8. Strudul

Strudul ~

Quite a few places recommended the PSUs I have linked. They are all reputable brands and models. I didn't think they were "cheap tat"....

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  9. roosauce

Welcome to the forum of graphics nerds and psu nazis LOL.

Everything is important, but particularly the psu.

10. Strudul

Strudul ~

EXACTLY - This is why I choose antec and a silverstone as a good place to look...

All the brands I recommended, I (and many others) thought were very good.

But everyone just seems to bum corsair.

Surely there are other good PSUs?!?!!??

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I don't think any of the listed is dangerously rubbish. Out of those I'd probably pick one of the Silverstones. That said, I'd much rather grab the lower wattage Corsair HX450W recommended by phazed. 450 W is easily enough and Corsair is yet to make a bad PSU.

And then in general; most power supply reviews are utter shite, most sites don't properly load the units, don't measure the ripple, voltages, efficiency OR noise properly, and are happy to just slap the EC-award after the PSU basically just works out of the box. This combined with people judging by their own personal experiences of one or two units make choosing a PSU is a horrid minefield.

EDIT: I also just noticed it's pretty hard to find a proper review on a budget PSU. I guess it's more sexy to review the higher wattage, extra efficient top of the range models. What a shame :(

12. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Either the Corsair(s) VX/HX450w or OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w are the best PSUs around ?50...

I have the Corsair VX450w quite happily running an i5 750 @ 4.1GHz, with an Asus HD5850 etc...

That statement is a bit of a contradiction itself... ;)
    ________
    Best Portable Herbal Vaporizer

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  13. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Oh really? I'm not seeing a stable, efficient, well constructed, long-lasting PSU of that wattage for that price. THere are some "ok" PSUs, but not good.

OP, we're not Nazis, but the £15 I recommended spending over over budget buys you a unit that has been properly tested and is a well renowned design amongst PSU nerds.

Jipa's right, there's a lot of nonsense out there about PSUs and honestly, there are very, very few brands that you can just any product from them and be assured it's gonna be great. In fact, nobody has a perfect record over the past couple of years. Corsair probably come closest, but even they've made a couple of "off" products.

However Ph4zed's recommendation is solid. I just picked something with a little extra juice and with a more efficient design.

Please, please, please don't skimp here, it's one of the worst places to do it - contrary to popular belief.

14. roosauce

yeah - sorry if I offended anyone with that comment :)

OP - I have a second-hand (used for one year) Corsair TX650 sitting in a box on my shelf doing nothing. I'll happily send that to you for £30 including P&P if you want it.

Not original boxes or anything - just the straight PSU. I swapped it out for a HX850 just a couple of months back. Just PM me if you want it.

Note: this is a CAPTIVE cable PSU. Also assuming you're UK ... otherwise postage would of course go up :)

Strudul likes this.
  15. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Another bit of a contradiction from you there...as both of those Corsair PSU's are around ?50 and both are considered stable, efficient, well constructed etc PSU's...

I FULLY agree with this.
    ________
    Web Shows

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  16. Strudul

Strudul ~

That sounds great

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

18. roosauce

FYI - xTatic's confirmed buying my TX650w, so he's sorted. Now we can all be safe in the knowledge that his components will have that clean, fresh stream of electrons that we all love.

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I will certainly be sleeping a little easier this evening.

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Cool!

Is there a thread where we can buy/sell components!?