1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel's Otellini says Windows 8 is 'not ready'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Sep 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm on record already, as hating the UI, although I am wondering if this will be another ME or Vista cock-up; and we'll see it's replacement in short order.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just because Intel can make good chips does not mean it is suddenly an expert on human-computer interfaces. It will be a huge success. Next year this will be a non-issue.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

are you using it, or have you used it for more than a week? it really isn't a bad os, it's quicker than 7, everything that works on 7 works on 8, so far as I can tell, there may be a few bugs, but no more than you would expect from a new os.

i'm using the rtm version, as my main os now on both my machines, on my desktop I do have an issue with my soundcard, but that's a creative problem not a Microsoft one, I have an original x-fi fatality, sound goes off, go into the driver swap modes and back again it works again.(this may be related to remote desktop, but not sure)

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

God no, I use Linux otherwise I'd never get anything done.
    Yes, I've given it a pretty thorough going-over - it is my job, after all - but remember this article isn't about what *I* think, it's about what Paul Otellini (reportedly) thinks.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Sorry that was meant for spreadie, nexxo posted as I was typing

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I tried it for a couple of weeks on my spare machine, which might sound like it wouldn't help matters; given the fact that I'd spend just as much time on my main rig, running 7.

I can't really moan about the performance, but the UI was hateful. It never occurred to me that you can disable it at the time, but that thought leads me to my next question- "why would I buy something that I'd have to hobble to use it happily?"

Which is why I have never gotten round to reinstalling it.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

90% of my time is spent on the desktop, only when searching or using a specific (we'll call it a metro app for now) app do I use the start screen

9. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! Ninja'd!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I've tested Windows 8 RTM Build 9200 64 bit on my former rig (i5 760, 8GB, GTX460) for a few days now.

It runs well, but the whole GUI is not really what people would like to use on a desktop. It's terrible to configure imho and not very user-friendly on a desktop where you're using a keyboard and mouse.
    The missing start-menu, when you use the desktop instead of the metro-ui, is a really bad design-decision for desktop-users.

The explorer and the menus (ribbon-style) are changed and not as good as in Win7.

All in all Windows 8 is designed with touchscreens in mind and feels awkward to use for desktops, with it's changed menus and GUI.
    Shutting down your PC now requires you to hit Alt+F4 due to the missing start-menu for example :p

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Seems Windows8 is going to be the next windows 95ME and Vista 'in between' version. So probably going to skip until at least sp1 or windows 9.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I also hated the UI.

From what I can remember from the preview, shutting down meant logging out and then selecting shut down from the log in screen.

13. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

Which flavor of Linux are you using if you don't mind me asking?

14. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

Try moving the mouse up to the top right of the screen to bring up a menu with shutdown :)

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

That's only working in the Metro-UI. When you use the desktop-view, it's not.

16. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Works on the desktop too. All charm bars are always active unless gaming.

[​IMG]

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

Last edited: 26 Sep 2012
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Right this minute, an ancient (pre-Unity) version of Ubuntu. A lot of the software I test only officially works on Ubuntu, so it's that or a spin-off like Mint.

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

People really need to stop believing in these articles. They're all by people who are going to lose business when Win 8 gets going. The steam guy was complaining (windows store vs steam) and now this guy (intel vs arm).
    Next thing will be "Intel says AMDs new cpus aren't as good as ours".

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Seems you've not disabled the Metro-UI, maybe that's why it works for you.

I wan't my classic windows-desktop with the classic taskbar and the start-menu. I don't want any widgets, icons or shortcuts on my desktop.

20. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

This is mainly because of the rules set out for metro app's, that (because of it's sandboxed nature) Apps can not launch external programs (((ie a steam "windows metro" app could never launch games) nor could it interface with it's running service......) or any other VOIP service while running.......)

I can see why it is like that as it makes it very secure, but it means that metro apps can only really be info readers (as most are ATM), without someone doing a large amount of work for very little gain, because you just can't call an EXE file