1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dead dell xps help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephen0205, 10 Oct 2016.

1. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Hello guys looking for a little help here to try help out a buddy.

My good friend has brought over and left his dell xps l702x laptop. Hes went and bought an new one as he cant get it to turn on, said one say it just stopped working, He had recently replaced the screen on it and it was working fine then one day pooof.

So he has since given it to me to get rid of for spares or repair, Or if i can fix it, even better so his daughter can have it for college.

Anyhow. Laptop has the i7, 2gb ram (he pilfered the rest), nvidia 555 and a crucial ssd.

So far nothing seems to work. I have done the following
    -removed battery
    -tried just with charger
    -tried holding power button down and discharging it
    -removed the memory
    -removed the hard drive
    -tried another charger
    -tried another battery
    -tried cleaning the power jack]
    -no charge lights when battery plugged in

Used my charger and battery from my l501x which is compatable, and nowt

Basics i know, but usually they work, now i dont mind pulling it apart at all, i have the smaller model (l501x myself) but what exactally do i look for , how do i determine the cause.

Laptop looks pristine, its been used at a desk its whole life and never gamed on, seems weird it just died.

Thanks in advanced friends

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

1st port of call get a multimeter and check the psu

3. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

im pretty sure i have mines somewhere, its the same charger as mines tho, and mine dosent work on it, but his one works on mines. So think the psu is working fine matey

4. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Just had it in bits , it had recently been checked by his dad apparently who knows a thing or two ( very sceptical lol )

Anyhow half the cables weren't even plugged in so I've went though the teardown guide and everything is plugged in as it should b , looks like the webcam is missing tho ? Presume the dad has lost that

Anyhow still no power at all , no charging lights , tried reseat the CPU as well and nope nothing.

At a loss I presume the motherboard is canned and at the price of them it can stay that way, my god the price

Local PC store check them out free and charge for repair, might drop it off to be tested might be able to check the main board more than I could

5. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Have you checked the solder joints for the dc jack on the motherboard are not cracked or broken?

Seeing as you said the battery is compatible with your current laptop, have you tried putting the battery in your laptop, charging it, putting it back in the 'broken' laptop and seeing if it will work off battery?

6. Vault-Tec

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19520682

Looking at that there seems to be a couple of possible solutions.

Having left the laptop plugged into the charger, it automatically turned itself back on after 7 hours out, and I rebooted for 'Last Good Config'. I ran it through it's full set of self-diagnostics, and has been fine ever since!? So I am none the wiser. However, you are the 5th person with a i702x laptop to contact me saying they have the same prob!!? That can't be coincidence. right?

And apparently they also suffer from bad power button connectors. Is there any way you can short the power button to make sure that it's trying to turn on?

Looks like same issue like my xps 17 (today), but my laptop problem was power button cabel was broken (cable has a bad connection). The same subject was also a couple of years ago, But then the charger stopped working And I think it could be an apartment electrical fault.

That's two instances of it in the same thread.

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Hmmm I'll see how much a new power button for it is and give it a replacebut I don't get how that stops the laptop charging the battery at all , seems weird , how would one short it to work ?

8. Vault-Tec

If it's a micro switch then it will short the circuit to start the laptop. However, I must have missed the bit where it doesn't charge and I would then suggest looking at the area around the power socket for any damage. Caps, resistors etc.

9. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

will take it apart again later take a look at the dc jack.

Yeah i took the battery out put it in mines, it charged fine and powered mines fine, still nothing from the 17 inch one tho

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

So i got a chance to take it apart again. And i tore apart my l501x (funny enough most parts are compateble, The power button and cable worked in mines, hard drives, ram, battery, but nothing of mines worked in it. So i presume it is actually the motherboard