1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Tablet / Stylus notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nimbu, 27 Jan 2017.

1. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any such devices?

We have a total staff of approx 145 users globally dispersed who are extremely agile. I was thinking that such devices could support my guys productivity. We currently have a bunch of 72x0 laptops in service.

My thoughts are:

1) stylus input might help with notetaking during consultations
    2) lighter device is more conducive to being agile and the way that we currently work.
    3) further commoditise IT hardware service.

Has anyone used any such devices in a Corp environment? Given our current mdm solution android devices are not feasible, but products that use full fat windows and iOS are.

We don't have any custom application and run a simple ms stack, couple of Web based service that any browser can service.

Would love to hear of your experiences.

2. doobleshaft

doobleshaft What's a Dremel?

My own experience as a field engineer suggests make sure the device isn't bulky, doesn't double as a phone, software is designed to make their work easier (not make it harder to use), software works perfectly when no network connection is available and carefully consider the environment it will be used in.

For example I found working in dusty or dirty environments that touch screens when I went to fix them or replace the device were often inaccurate or had to have screen protectors replaced repeatedly. Or users were frustratingly using pens on the screens.

I'm puzzled as to how Android devices will not be feasible as you say it is a web based service. That said in the work environment I can only comment anyway on Windows XP/7 based devices such as Panasonic Toughbook or the former Windows Mobile where I found the biggest challenged was simply the portability of the device and ability to work offline when connection wasn't available.

Are the meetings going to be office based or in the field? If office based then something like Lenovo Yoga may be worth considering as it is effectively laptop and tablet but if field based I'd say a standart tablet big enough for the task which may require 10 inch or larger Windows tablet or iPad Pro. At least then when returned to office it can either be docked or otherwise setup to be used with a monitor and keyboard if required.

Whatever you choose make sure you hare a plentiful source of decent screen protectors as I'm sure they will get scratches, pens used or simply dirty.

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Thanks doobleshaft.

Our mdm solution (maas360) has currently only been configured to work with Samsung android devices (knox) and ios as that's all the third party we get these services from feel is secure enough. For other manufacturers android devices it will work however they can no longer use native apps and the maas360 app experience is rubbish.

I was thinking along the same lines of units that with the right dock etc can fulfill the need of a laptop / pc when stationary but when out and about tablet style usage.

Mainly going to be in office or schools around the world.

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

My experience:
    Work has traditionally issued us with Dell Latitude series laptops. Relatively big and bulky and heavy. It is fine if at a customers site where I can make use of a desk to work, but anything else is awkward. So awkward I'll assemble a desk from what every I can find in the area, offten electrical wire spools. A couple years back, for Christmas work gave us Surface Pro 3s, much light and smaller than the Dells. Once I was able to get ride of windows 8 the surface actual became useful little computer. I had perviously investigate tablet options (iPad, android Asus Transformer Tablet) for allowing for paperless field notes and drawing markups and did not find any good options. I am think I will revisit that with my surface.

And as doobleshaft said not a phone. I had seen too many people think their phone can replace a laptop or tablet and then awkward juggle the phone why trying to use an some other app.