1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU i5 7500 or 7600 for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 5 Mar 2017.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I need to upgrade my main gaming pc and was wondering if you guys could helpme decide.

Even if I had K series CPUs in the past, I never really OC them too much or even at all.

Now when prices are through the roof for any compnent, I'm trying to save some money on this.
    I was wondering, would i5 7500 be enough for gaming?
    My setup would be ITX (gigabyte has cheap itx mobo with Z270 chip), 16GB RAM and GTX 1080Ti - I play on 40" 4K monitor, all graphic setting on ultra etc.
    I'm trying to decide, cause I have a feeling that 7500 boosted to 3.8GHz should not have that big influence on fps in games. I know that difference is £25, but if I won't OC, this is not worth for extra 4fps, when getting 50-60fps already.

What is your thought on that?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would either stick with what you have (and give it a shove) or wait for the 1600x, which should clock to around 3.8ghz and offer more cores for the money. I would not be in any hurry if I had a 4670k though.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd wait and see how the dust settles on Ryzen, tbh. If they can iron out some of the teething troubles with the R7s and their gaming performance, it might be worth going for an R5 when they arrive. On the other hand, you might find that the extra threads on the R5 don't count for as much as the clockspeed of the 7500/7600 - imo, it's still a bit up in the air as to how Ryzen will shake down. If you were doing stuff other than gaming then I'd probably be tempted to go AMD.

Ultimately, though, I'm not sure how much extra gaming benefit you'd get out of switching from your current CPU/Mobo/RAM to Kaby Lake (or Ryzen). It'll be a hefty whack of cash. At the end of the day, though, if you're not planning on overclocking then I'd go for a cheaper mITX board (so H250/B250 rather than Z270) and a 7600.

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thing is my itx mobo died and now I'm on cheap MSI mATX mobo, which is crap.
    I need mITX mobo with M.2 slot - I cannot find any good Z97 mobo, that is why I decided to upgrade:(

Ideally I would only need s1150 ITX Z97 mobo.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

A 4670K to a 7500 would be a downgrade, not even a sidegrade...

Seriously, going from any i5 CPU since Sandybridge to another is just pointless if your main concern is gaming performance (especially at 4k). If you wanted proper M.2/nvme support, USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports ect then sure, or even if you planned on plugging a 7700K in down the road, but otherwise, not worth an entire platform upgrade imo.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yes, I know, but the problem is my itx mobo died and need new one, where now you can't buy them any more.
    ITX Z97 with M.2 are impossible to find now. That is why I'm looking to upgrade, no way out:(

fuus likes this.
  7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Sorry, I left my reply half written while making pizza!

That's certainly a bit of a predicament then, have you looked on eBay etc for a like-for-like replacement?

At the end of the day, if you're seriously contemplating the kind of upgrade that involves a Z270 mobo and 1080Ti, you might as well at least match up the CPU to the rest of the build and go for whatever your budget can stretch to. Otherwise, like mentioned above, go for a H250/B250 board, save yourself some cash and dont bother with all the extra gimmicks you're not going to use without a K-series chip.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK, so getting back to my question - what would a difference in fps in 4K with 1080Ti and - i5 7500 at stock, or i5 7600 stock, or i5 7600K OCed?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

better min and averages. I would go with the 7600k or 7700k and overclock it if buying that card.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Okay, so it looks like you have to have mITX, and you need something sooner rather than later :D

In that case, the choice is a Z270 + 7600K or a B250/H270 plus 7500/7600. The first one will be about £360 to £400ish and the second around £300. Now, if it were me and I was rocking a 980Ti, I'd just go the whole hog and go for the Z270 and 7600K. A 7500 is only about £25 cheaper than a 7600K, and you can get a nice Z270 board for £140 which is only £40 or so dearer than a B250 effort. There's RAM on top of that, probably £100+ for 16GB, so the potential saving is maybe £65 out of a total spend of £450 to £500.

If you need to buy sooner rather than later then that puts Ryzen out of the picture - this is the situation I'm in: I need an mITX build in the next few weeks but there are no Ryzen mITX boards around just now and even if there were, I don't need or want to spend £320 on an R7 1700 when a 7600K will do me just as well for £100 less. I toyed with the idea of saving a few quid and going 7500/7600 plus "lesser" motherboard, but in the end I've decided on the K-series CPU because I intend to keep this build for as long as possible and the ability to overclock further down the line will extend the useful lifespan of the machine (hopefully!). I'm just swithering about motherboard now - either the Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi or the AsRock Z270M-ITX/ac, at about £140 each, look like the ones for me. I don't want to drop £180+ on a board when the two I've mentioned seem to have everything I need for a fair bit less cash.

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yep, I'm in exact same place...:thumb:

I prefer Gigabyte. Gigabyte GA-Z270N-Gaming 5 version is coming out soon, don't know how much its gonna be though...

Last edited: 6 Mar 2017
  12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK, found some reviews on i5 7600K - stock and overclocked.
    This is what I'm questioning, there is no huge improvement with OCed i5, so what would be the point paying for K version, more expensive motherboards etc.

If old i5 6400 can get almost same fps, what's the point of paying premium for K version then even OC it?

[​IMG]

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

At the end of the day, it's personal preference. A 7500 or 7600 will be perfectly fine for gaming, but for me I'd rather have the scope to overclock once the CPU gets a bit long in the tooth at stock speeds - it's about extending the useful lifetime of the CPU, as I don't upgrade very often at all :D

I do think that there's a massive trend in the "enthusiast" market for buying stuff that's overkill for the purpose for which it's intended. But imo there's a balance to be struck in terms of current performance and future proofing. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference, budget, intended lifespan of your system and so on.

For me, though, a saving of £65 on a spend of £500 isn't quite significant enough to swing it and I'd rather spend the extra money for the overclockable combo. If I were buying ATX rather than mITX then I think I'd probably go for the 7500, as you can get cheap and cheerful ATX boards for £40-odd, taking the total saving to closer to £125+, which is significant enough for me to sit up and take notice :D

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

^ Interesting to see that, a good find.

AFAIK I had pretty much assumed that a gaming rig with a decent GPU will be pretty much GPU rather than CPU limited these days once you're running an i5 for example.
    I can only see getting a 'better' CPU could be useful if you're needing some more grunt for other computer work done on that PC.

bawjaws has ninja'd me and said it better than I could "but for me I'd rather have the scope to overclock once the CPU gets a bit long in the tooth at stock speeds - it's about extending the useful lifetime of the CPU, as I don't upgrade very often at all"

I am shopping for a Haswell i5 at the moment, and I have narrowed it down to the higher models that turbo up better (the 44xx ones only turbo 200MHz, rather than 400MHz on the 45x0 and 46x0/K).

A Haswell can hold it own with the newer gen i5s) but probably in reality a K would be for E-peen really over a fixed i5.
    I can see that having a K would potentially be handy to 'wind up the wick for more grunt' (as has been said **Edit** see bawjaws for sensible justification of a K...

I've been interested to see that Parge has chosen an i5 S variant to keep the power/heat down in general use, which adds a little more deliberation to the buying process for me.

The only other demanding use I have on that PC is Photoshop, which will be fine with an i5, and potentially a bit better with an i7

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thing is I do not intend to OC at all, plus this would be just for gaming pc, nothing else.
    I know its just £60 but I could add this to new SSD for example.

Looks like CPU even on stock clocks lasts 2-3 years, easy.
    I had 4670K for over 2 years and its all good, I only need to upgrade cause my mobo died.
    Now need to sell it cause cannot find itx z97 replacement:(

That is why I think 7500 should be good for gaming for next 3 years at least.
    I bet that in 3 years we will have new SSD sockets, so will be upgrading anyway.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you're just wanting to game then go for a cheaper CPU no doubt, I'd probably go lower than 7500, as that graph shows along with a review of gaming CPUs done by Anandtech a couple of years ago, GPU is far more important than CPU for gaming.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yep. I think if I can find cheap 7500, I could stay with it for next 2-3years.

18. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

A 7500 should be fine and is cheaper than the 7600 given your setup. But, I do have to agree that you should buy those "K" processors to get more juice. Still, a 7500 should be adequate.

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yep, it's time to sell my rig then... off to ebay!

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Your paying £700 for a gpu, What £25 lol.