1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 30" 2560x1600 Korean monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 21 May 2014.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201071587815&alt=web

Anyone here dealt with imports in the past, I would like some advice on this please as I was thinking of trying one of these ( in the link above )?..

What things do I need to consider?.. How do I deal with the import tax if applicable?..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited: 24 May 2014
  2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's the same with the 27" Korean monitors on eBay. The panels themselves are good, but they're in cheap housings with the absolute minimum of controls (brightness...errrr, not much else) and basic stands. That's why they're cheap.

Importing also means no warranty. As for import tax, well, you pay it.

However, it's a way to get a high/large screen for less. The image quality is generally very good, and you just have to accept the other limitations (I know many people who ditch the stand straight away and VESA mount).

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you have the DIY skills you could even remove the hideous bezel and casing and recess the panel and control circuitry into the wall.

That said I'd still be in favour of buying a second hand screen from a UK seller. That way you'd know before you buy about any pixel/backlight issues.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

thread moved - whilst apparently unbeknown to you trueno there is a wider forum beyond the marketplace - things like this do not belong in the "other" marketplace.

Last edited: 21 May 2014
  5. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

FFS, thats so much cheaper than the other 30" panels I saw.

I paid £200 for 27" 1440p, which with customs and VAT was around £260 total, bbut when I was looking the 30" panels were around £500.

My experience with my korean monitor has been positive (its an X-star something) bezel is a bit tacky (looks 1/2 finished design with a major change midway through) and the stand is wobbily, but otherwise I'm happy

6. trueno!

Thanks everyone for the contributing their thoughts, will take the risks involved in to consideration...

Wow that's a 30% additional costs, which means I could be facing costs anywhere between £75 to £90 on top of the cost of these monitors, and plus if it does break down and I do face an unfortunate issue in regards to warranty then I'm stumped with a dead monitor and out of pocket over £300!..

Decisions decisions...

PS. Would I be better off with an additional 2 Dell IPS 1080p monitors instead to run in eyefinity mode with my current Dell IPS 1080p monitor?..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Depends if you have the graphics grunt for eyefinity. If you do it would be worth considering.

8. trueno!

Just recently upgraded to a R9 280X bought from here in the Marketplace...

9. jimbaw

jimbaw What's a Dremel?

unless you are willing to take the risk to lose £300, I'd buy an equivalent from a big brand. I know it's way more expensive but it can be worth it. the resale value would also be higher.
    It is something you have to take into consideration but you could potentially save a lot of money by going Korean.
    I know that definitely didn't help but you'd had to make that decision yourself (a lot of people seem happy with their korean monitors and that's the route I would personally take)

10. trueno!

Erm, aren't you contradicting with yourself?.. Advise me to go safe but you still risk going Korean?.. Yes that does not help at all!..

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

He's saying that he would take the risk, but he would only advise doing the same if you could stand to lose £300 or get a duff screen.

At some point in the process you will have to make that decision, it's your money!

G0UDG likes this.
  12. trueno!

Yes I understood what he was trying to point out but how he wrote it was a bit contradictory, that was what I was trying to point out!..

Okay, so regarding the import tax and VAT, can anyone point me into the right direction please as what I've found was way unclear and too confusing when compared to other explanations?..

On a side note I like comments on this Bush 39" 4K 30Hz TV @Argos used as a side monitor for YouTube videos and streaming media videos with no gaming on it at all ( got some vouchers that I can spend @Argos )?..

13. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Friend got a 27" korean monitor imported and said it was really straightforward although it took the best part of a month!

14. trueno!

Thanks for the response but would like more specifics please!?.

15. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I think the specifics are probably along the lines of, they ordered it off ebay, which was easy, then it took a long time in the post.... welcome to importing. Sometimes takes a while.

RinSewand likes this.
  16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Calculate the amount here: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

17. jimbaw

jimbaw What's a Dremel?

yes exactly what I meant. sorry after reading it again I can see how confusing it looks.
    I basically meant that I'd do it, but I don't want to influence you if you're not 100% sure about it.

18. trueno!

On ebay they say it will take up to 5 days for delivery via their free expedited delivery service, so I guess times has changed in this regard, which I'm fine with even it does take a while longer to deliver, as predominantly my main aim is a pixel perfect none DOA 30" 2560x1600 product at a great low price!..

That's alright, at least I understood what you were trying to say... :3

Thanks for this, just hope it's accurate enough, as it seems that duty to pay is nothing but the VAT is costing £55 which puts the total cost at £330, not bad for a high res 30" display monitor!.. :p

19. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

postage for me was less than a week.

the ebay seller I bought from would refund postage if it arrived DOA, but as I had no issues cant tell you how good it was. (though had an oh **** moment a few weeks ago, when my monitor went black with a slight cracking noise > the issue however was the power brick where the 3pin lead had fallen out (and made the crack noise))

20. trueno!

That was fortunate for you!.. :3