1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda loses Fallout lawsuit to Interplay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Huh. I sided with Beth on this one: you don't sell the rights to your product to someone else, and then carry on selling the products yourselves.

I wonder why the judge sided with Interplay, unless there's more to it than we know.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

AFAIK... They sold the rights to the title and background plot etc. but not the existing games.

4. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

maybe noe they can just get on with making games? Everyone is far to litigation happy these days...

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

I wonder how many sales the earlier games still get these days? I can imagine fallout 3 is a much higher earner, unless Bethesda are looking to do an ultra pack or something.

I will give you a real life example (from last year) of how I think people approach the older games after playing fallout 3.

My friend: "Oh man I am loving fallout 3 at the minute? You?"
    Me: "Yep it really is great, running around for hours can be a bit boring though"
    My friend: "Yeah that's true, as this is fallout THREE, I assume there were 2 others?"
    Me: "Yeah, well more, but 2 main ones, the others were sort of spin offs and stuff"
    My friend: "Are they the same sort of game?"
    Me: "An RPG? yeah sure, obviously they are older so not the same 3D action style, but an RPG. With turn based combat"
    My friend: "Oh right, sounds good then. So when were they made?"
    Me: "I think like late 1990s, before 2000 that's for sure, I don't know exactly"
    My friend: "OH! Maybe I will give them a miss then"
    Me: "What?"

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Good! Hopefully Bethesda will loose it's right to butcher... errrr... make future FOs
    /me crossing fingers and praying

7. Googoo

Googoo What's a Dremel?

It's laughable to watch people vehemently hate Fallout 3 because it revived a dead series that was in the hands of a bankrupt publisher. Even more amusing is the fact that most of the original team are now working on New Vegas for Beth. So, I'm not entirely sure why someone would want Interplay, who couldn't even fund the MMORPG, to retain the rights? Black Isle's is no more, and the original CEO of interplay has long been gone.

8. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Maybe some people think FO3 is awful compared to the first 2 games, and shouldn't be mentioned the way that brotherhood of steel shouldn't be. OK, maybe that's going a little far, but it's their opinion that FO3 isn't anywhere near the quality of the first 2, and wasn't worth making. I somewhat agree with it, sometimes letting a series die is better than making a crappy sequel, obviously popular opinion would disagree with me on FO3, but as an earlier poster pointed out, a lot of FO3 fanboys have never touched the first 2 games and never intend to.

Just because Black Isle isn't around doesn't mean a company HAS to take over the series. Sometimes the chain of sequels just has to end.

EDIT: Just wanted to add something relevant to the article, I was under the impression Bethesda bought the rights to the fallout universe and the ability to produce Fallout games, I wouldn't think this would have any bearing on games already made.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2009
  9. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

FALLOUT 3 IS NOT A FALLOUT GAME IT JUST PARASITES ON ITS NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's rubbish, utter rubbish.

yes, i've got the special edition and yes i did play it - for 4 hours, sold the game and kept the box :) and installed back fallout 2 + hi-res patch. fallout 3 is not a fallout game, it's missing everything what fallout was and is about

10. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Post-apocalyptic world... CHECK!
    Quirky humour... CHECK!
    Dogmeat... CHECK!
    Mean mutants... CHECK!
    Bloody Mess... CHECK!
    Pip Boy... CHECK!
    3rd person view... CHECK!

What am I missing here?

11. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

Atmosphere = gone
    Humor = gone
    Story = gone
    Perks and the way the work = gone
    leveling system = rubbish, the same like in oblivion

What are you missing there?....hmm...simple answer - all of what fallout was and is about ;)

12. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I loved the first 2 Fallouts and think Bethesda did a good job with the third. Can't even compare them really ones a shooter RPG, and ones an isometricaly viewed adventure RPG from 10 years ago. But the games stand on their own seperately from each other.

13. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

AMEN brother.

Tags: Add Tags