1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ATCS 840 - Heart of Columbia [update:241112 - Keyboard finished]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thechoozen, 15 Mar 2012.

1. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Time to start a new worklog :D:thumb::rock:

This time we will take a Coolermaster ATCS 840 as Base for our Mod. Better to say....we have taken it as base...because we already started this mod a while ago....:thumb:

What we plan for this mod, is simple to explain....first we will take the whole case apart and shrink it to a m-atx size (like our 490T, but a bit bigger ). After that shrinking process, we´re heading for a steampunk/bioshock infinite inspired theme...but that will take some time until we reach that point....

But before we start, we wanted to send a big Thank you to Coolermaster for their help with the case!!

Ok, let´s start....

Like already mentioned....we started with the shrinking process....so we started with the disassembling ....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, we directly started to cut the first parts into pieces....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after cutting the frame parts down to the right size, we had to file them a bit, so that the Top of the case can be placed over them again...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Nov 2012
  2. Paladin | Patrick

Paladin | Patrick LiveModder

3. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

will be good to see what happens to this case, looks good already!

4. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thx m8´s!!!

time to continue :D

As next we took the Front of the case...because it also had to be shortened....

before....
    [​IMG]
    after....
    [​IMG]

then we put everything together...just to see how it will look like...
    [​IMG]

after that we disassembled everything so that we could add a bit of paint to the inside of the case....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then we put all parts back together so that we have a nice clean base for the next steps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beside that we also started to work on the first details...which we´re going to integrate into our mod. First we took an old mini hurdy-gurdy (i hope thats right - google translation....) and a servo which we had in our workshop and combined them...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i think we will acitvate it, everytime one of the sidepanels will be opened/closed....

and here´s also a short video of the mini hurdy gurdy in action (the buzzing sound from the servo will later be reduced by a damping box)

5. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I love the way it looks now a mini 840 looks brilliant cant wait to see more

6. leslie

leslie Just me!

I have considered doing something similar and have been looking at tons of old cases for the right one. I want to cut down the height and remove the drive bays.

Good work!

7. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

I have that music thing too. since i was a baby :)

8. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thx m8´s!!!

yeah, when we were kids we also had something like that...but today they have become rare...(we didn´t see one of them for years...until we found it in a local shop for creative materials)

Today we´ve got another update for you :thumb:

this time a mini mini how to...

let´s call it: How to bake your anodized Computer :D

The one or other might know this technique, but i think the most of you won´t know...so you might ask yourself....why should i bake my Computer Case ??:confused:

And the answer is pretty simple...you can change the color of your anodized Case....without painting it! :thumb:

Ok, it´s not that simple, because you won´t get every color you might want. But within a few restrictions you could get really nice results.

The first thing you have to pay attention to is the color. From a Black anodized part you won´t get a blue part with this technique.

Black normally turns to brown....and within the process from black to brown the color fades through different colors (in this example.....it was first black...then red...then purple and finally a nice red brown/copper look)

Here are a few combinations of colors....

Black - red / brown
    Red - orange/pink
    Blue - brighter blue/turquoise
    Green - dark olive (just hear that, but didn´t see it up to now)
    Silver - becomes just a bit brigther
    Gold - same like silver
    (But we can not guarantee that the results may differ)

The next thing you have to pay attention is that every part you put in the oven...should be absolute clean. No dust, no scratches, no fluids, oils etc. Because every bit of dirt would change the final result. (or you could use oil for example to gain some unique patterns)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and not to forget....all plastic parts had to be removed...because they would just melt during the baking process....:duh:

[​IMG]

But then you could just put the parts into the oven....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after 1-2 h with maximum temp. (200-300°... depending on the thickness of the material) you should have reached the final color so that more time wouldn´t cause any more changes to the color....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Naturally you could also stop the process earlier if you want...you just have to turn of the oven...and wait until the parts cool down...and then you´re done....:thumb:

9. petsli

petsli What's a Dremel?

wow! thats really awesome!

10. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

That's awesome the way baking it changes the colour of the anodising! I wonder who first thought 'I wonder what would happen if I put this in the oven?'

11. Paladin | Patrick

Paladin | Patrick LiveModder

very nice and simple

12. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

It´s something magical :)

13. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thx m8´s!!!

in the last days we continued the work on the case....
    first we take on of the sidepanels and made a 60 mm hole in it, behind that hole we will later place a small thermometer which will be connected to the watercooling loop....

[​IMG]

After that we cutted the sidepanels into 2 pieces so that we can open the front and backside of the case individually....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then it was time for the oven again :D

[​IMG]

beside that we already cutted out all the needed parts to build an iris which will cover the thermometer...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Great start + sub

15. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

ooh I like the iris!

Also thanks for the explanation and pics of the anodizing vs the oven. Very interesting, that. I really like the resulting color.

16. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Sweeeeeet... Love the iris

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Win is strong with this one...

18. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thanks m8´s!!! :thumb:

After starting the painting process of the iris parts....we directly continued with the last parts (of the iris) which had to be painted...

[​IMG]

beside that we already mounted the first parts on the sidepanel...
    [​IMG]

then we cut out the next parts, which were needed to integrate a small servo. The servo will be used to open and close the iris....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

seriously cool little tiny door = subscribed. I just animated a door that opens just like that for my demo reel, and it's one of the first things I animated when I learned flash as a kid. it's awesome seeing a real one in action. the music box is cool too.

20. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Awesome!