1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Facebook Seriously Bugs Me

Discussion in 'General' started by Darkwisdom, 22 May 2014.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Now, i don't have many 'friends', more like many acquaintances.

I'll talk to some people on facebook, some lots, some every so often; you catch up, maybe meet up for a beer once in a blue moon or something.

Then there's 'those' people. They add you, never speak to you, never comment or even 'like' anything you post and they're just sitting there on your list and you're thinking "why the hell did you even add me?". Some of these people bullied me in school, and they have the nerve to want to be 'friends'? Better yet, why did I even accept requests from these people? They say "if the only contact you have with someone is a happy birthday once a year on facebook, you're not friends, not even acquaintances". Some people don't even do that?!

Why do people even bother sometimes? It completely bemuses me.

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I do have a few people (mostly female) on my list who have never said a single word to me, I went to school with them and now they feel the need to throw there crazy Saturday night pictures of drinking with the same people in the same place and waking up with the same hangover and the same "I need cuddles" status.
    When in reality no decent bloke wants to touch you because just adding you on facebook is enough to give you a raging STI.

These girls usually have in the region of 2000+ friends. Its simply pathetic, I think they use it as some rank of social rep they usually spend there time posting pictures of themselves.

One girl I recently removed had over 4000 pictures of her face... that was it, I woke up one day with a news feed full of her face and had enough.

I only said hi to her once at work, no clue how she found out my name because I wasn't wearing my name tag.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This is the crux of the problem. Just don't.
    It's not like it sends them a big "friend request denied" notification, and if they're just accumulating friends from people they barely know I doubt they'd care.
    Also you can hide people updates from your news feed if you don't find what they post interesting.
    Or you could leave Facebook all together and maybe quietly rejoin at a later point adding people you want to add.

Basically use it the way you want to use it. It's not like it's compulsory.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I've never joined. I new what social networking was pre Facebook. I knew I didn't want in when Facebook took off. I still don't.

5. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

But Facebook is unsocial networking

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Social notworking

I killed my faceache account when I realised that a lot of the people on it I didn't actually give a [insert expletive here] about.
    I wiped my account, went cold turkey and never looked back, until I wanted to enter a competition that could only be done on Facebook. I started a new account and now have the grand total of 50 odd friends, the bulk of which are family. I seldom use it actively. I don't care what my cousin had for breakfast.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I purged my f-list on FB so that only family, friends and online friends were present. Took great delight in deleting all those randoms, or people I went to school with ect.. It is nice to know only those people I give a toss about are on there.

New invites I almost always ignore, even if I know them. If I wanted you on there, you'd be on there by now.

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Best thing I ever did was delete my account

9. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I for one am glad to hear of others who have given Facebook a wide berth as I too have never signed on (and I never will). In the words of Notch; "Facebook creeps me out".

10. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

I signed up to it shortly after it launched as where I worked in retail at the time wanted us to get involved and make a page etc for customers to visit and ask questions etc.

I permanently deleted my account around 4 years ago now though and never looked back, I just can't stand it. Personally prefer just hanging out on various forums and Twitter as it is has decent retro gaming community.

11. Darkwisdom

I purged my list of about 80% of people I don't know, don't like or don't care about. I too plan to give facebook a pretty wide berth from now on, other than the odd competition from Hexus for example.

I don't think it's particularly healthy; especially when some people spend hours just looking at some things that are just completely frivolous like someone said "what my cousin had for breakfast". I don't really care and i'm not sure why I ever did.

I'm done with it, really.

12. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I don't really use Facebook to see what most of my friends are doing. I use it to be nosey occasionally and also as a bit of a diary.

I love going back through my photos and seeing old friends and old nights out. That time that thing happened, or that time I thought that shirt was cool and my mates all decided that they were going to start wearing tartain trousers and being punk as F*^k.

If you look at it as a diary keeping and memory tool its actually pretty useful.

Oh and we occasionally use it to get photos for photo albums and presents. I once made a card out of a montage of photos of my GF (now fiancee) into the shape of a 21 for her birthday which went down really well, and all the pics were taken from Facebook. (wow 4 years ago.)

If you have people you don't care about remove them. If you have people who talk **** unfollow them. But realize that like in real life you'll only really do have around 5-10 friends so why should online be any different.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

I wouldn't say it's the best thing I ever did, but I nuked my account in January of this year and I've not missed it even once

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I keep an account because I have family spread out over counties/countries, although I'd delete it if mum wasn't so insistent I have one.

However Facebook seems to create a paddling pool for non-tech savvy people to congregate and post passive-aggressive crap. Between the constant 'share to win/if you agree' posts, the image macro looks to be something they've fallen upon with great enthusiasm.

Girls opting for text on pictures of rainbows with:
    "I'm fat/abusive/generally unlikeable - but real friends stick around."

Guys opt for Warner Bros cartoon characters with:
    "I'm an [butthole], if you don't like it - tough"

Older people opt for pictures from the tabloids with:
    "Super racist stuff."

15. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I deleted my Facebook account three years ago and I couldn't be happier about the decision.

I use Twitter now.

It does amuse me when you see people who have used FB for so long join Twitter. They try and treat it the same, and wonder why no-one responds to them.

16. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

THIS! This is the reason I hate facebook so much. "Last person to like and comment wins...." I've started hiding people from my newsfeed when they post s**t like that.

17. Scroome

Scroome Modder

And don't even get me started on the motivational pictures.......shudders.

18. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

TumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblrTumblr

19. Darkwisdom

I don't even have a tumblr account and I still can't get away from it. People I know who are massive anime... enthusiasts (massive NEETs) who do nothing more than blow their JSA on going to expos are constantly on about tumblr. Is it good? I don't really give a monkeys. They're always complaining about spoilers, don't F***ing use it then?!

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I mainly use it to talk to people I might not otherwise, and for group things.
    It's also interesting to see what some people are up to now and again.

Not worth getting angry over though.