1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Your GOTY 2014

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 15 Dec 2014.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

what has been the best thing you have played this year? was it something that you've been hankering for all year or was it a surprise title that came out of nowhere and knocked you for six?

for me it has to be Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Because Metal Gear Solid wasn't batshit enough, now we have cyborg ninjas everywhere, swords, robo dogs massive ****ing spider tanks, and a thumping soundtrack.

on the surface you'd be mistaken for taking it as a button mashing brawler but scratch deeper and you'll find a combat system that encourages tactical play, combo's, i-frames exploits and more; each ranked fight becomes almost puzzle box of violence that ups its **** the harder you push. aimed squarely at the hardcore market it punishes those who seek to idly coast through the game by forcing them to adapt to new gameplay techniques and faster fights. once mastered the game you'll find yourself diving back in to refine your game by scoring as high as you can on the games ranking system.

so what if the peasant boxes got it before us, it plays faster/harder and smoother that you'd swear it was built for the master race and for £20, a bargain.

[​IMG]

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Shadow of MOOOOORDOOOOR

3. rma

rma Minimodder

Mordor on the PC - first game I've enjoyed enough to get 100% achievements!

Destiny on the PS4.

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Divinity Original Sin. Proper old school turned based RPG in a modern shell. Loved it

Last edited: 15 Dec 2014
  5. E1TSY

E1TSY A cog in the bit-tech machine

Personally - The Last of us. One of the best Single players i have played in a long time! :thumb:

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Elder Scrolls Online. I love that grind.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I've not really played many games this year. Of those I have played, Mordor was comfortably the best - I sank about 50 hours into it all told and got 100% completion. Haven't touched it since I finished it :D

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

For me it's a tough call between The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Child of Light.
    I've absolutely adored every second of playing those two games, I couldn't possibly place one above the other as they are so very different.

They're closely followed by Banished for the runner's up prize.
    Though now that Banished has the modding tools available and the community has been making content, it is really picking up the pace and could swipe the leader's position by the end of the year.

Third/Fourth place is a tie between Killzone: Shadow Fall and Shadow of Mordor.

It seems that 2014 has been an amazing year for the smaller independent studios/developers, a fine selection of excellent games have been launching into the market this year which have massively overshadowed quite a few of the poorly released AAA titles of the year.

9. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Hesitating between South Park and Dragon Age Inquisition. DAI is absolutely epic and I am still playing it, but truthfully I don't remember ever enjoying a game as much as South Park so that has to be my GOTY.

PS: Reading this thread I think my next game will be Mordor.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In no particular order.

Best FPS: Wolfenstein: The New Order, thank God this came out or it would have been between Destiny, Titanfall and Borderlands, 2014's been a quiet year for FPS games.

Best not an FPS:
    Super Time Force, addictive addictive addictive.

Best thing Nintendo made: Super Smash Brothers Wii U

Best thing Sony made: Little Big Planet 3 (it's amazing)

Best thing Microsoft made:
    Xbox One no Kinect edition... what did Microsoft actually come out with this year? Forza Horizon and Halo Master Chief come to mind, but an okay racing game and a re-release using the original compressed sound files isn't much to shout about. What did I miss?

Best game of the year:
    Alien: sh!t your pants in Isolation

Biggest save of the year: Battlefield 4: CTE and 2.0 update, actually made the game fun again, now if they could just give the DMRs their BF3 stats again.

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Alien isolation and Dragon Age Inquisition stand out to me as excellent, though I haven't played that many games this year.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

For PC for me it would have to be Titanfall as a full release game, although not perfect.

For Xbox One it has to be Destiny.

However if Elite had come out earlier in the year then that would have been mine choice.

13. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

I guess for me it would be D3:RoS, not a new game as such, but changed so much from vanilla D3 that it might as well be.

Looking through the list of games released in 2014 the only other one I played from this year was Titanfall which was good but not GoTY...

Quite a quiet year for me gaming wise, hopefully now that I'm settled in the new house 2015will be a bit different :D.

14. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

My GotY 2014 is Far Cry 3, because I live in the gaming past.

Seriously though, it's awesome :)

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's cheating!

Metro: Last Light and Battlefield 3 for me under those rules...

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Right there with you bro. It is great fun.

I'm sure Alien: Isolation will be mine once I get around to buying and playing it. Battlestar Galactica has just started consuming my life, so it could end up being my GOTY 2015 at this rate.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Child of Light blew me away - yes, it's a mechanically simply RPG, but the art style is utterly gorgeous and the soundtrack an absolutely winner.

Alas, on my 'to play' pile is Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age Inquisition and Shadows of Mordor. So I can't judge. Destiny was alright, but not GOTY worthy.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2014
  18. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

:(
    I don't think I've actually bought and played any 2014 games.
    And is it really cheating if I only played it this year??

19. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Best: elite dangerous (sunk a lot of time into the beta/gamma)

Most disappointing: civilisation beyond Earth (health (happiness), overly passive factions and having to focus on affinity research make the game dull to play)

I was going to skip dragon age (scared it had gone too console centric), but I'll have to pick it up when I put elite down

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I haven't played quite a few of the games launched this year and to be honest I've found most a little underwhelming. However, my vote has to go to:

BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea-Episode 2

Mostly because of walking around in gay paree and other memorable events.

I've yet to play Planetary Annihilation in earnest but it's also good. I've just started playing Alien Isolation but find it so goddamn nerve wracking I can't play for more than a few minutes at a time. Also, the Redux versions of Metro 2033 and Last Light would probably be my first choice if I had actually got around to playing them!