1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards. I Don't Get It.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Madness_3d, 29 Jan 2013.

1. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Okay so I can appreciate some good hardware, I can ever appreciate some good peripherals, got my nice Display, Mouse, Speakers etc, But I just don't get the Mechanical Keyboard Mania! There's a whole thread devoted to it and its huge and it just doesn't make sense!

Is it one of these things that you have to try it to appreciate it?
    What's the point!?!?!
    Is it really any better?
    And what is the obsession with swapping keys? Are they even all the same size?

Someone please enlighten me, there's another one of these crazy keyboards on the front page of bit-tech today and I just feel like a noob when I see the price tag! It's not even backlit for gods sake! :duh:

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Yeah, it is one of those things you have to try to appreciate. The feel of a mechanical cherry key is so much more satisfying to use than a cheap membrane keyboard. The click of a mechanical key is just so much easier and it's like you know that it's been pressed.

Using Different keycaps is a strange hobby from my point of view as well. I use a set of completely black keys to go with my black theme. They all do fit, because all Cherry keys have the same connector for the keys. There are exceptions, but most of the time they'll fit.

Mechanical keyboards are expensive and a Select few will truly appreciate them, but once you've bought one; you'll probably wonder how you computed without one. It's like you're using a keyboard most of the time anyway, and you have a nice gaming mouse so why cheap out on the keyboard too?

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Try it, there is no point talking about it until you have tried one.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The Master has spoken =p

5. longweight

Oh also try Topre, the gentleman's choice :)

6. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Anywhere you know demoing them? :p

7. longweight

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Unfortunately very limited in the UK... There may well be one or two shops in London with cheaper models on show.

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

rubber domes are a bit like pressing a sponge, sort of sloppy response, and you have to push it all the way down. Mechanical keyboards each key has a spring, acts independently and provides it's own feedback, and then the various switches all have their own feel to them. Once you spend a couple of hours typing on a mechanical keyboard you will get it.

Key caps are good as they don't really depreciate all that much if you buy good ones, obviously you couldn't sell them to just anyone, but of all the hobbies I have ever pumped money into, I think If I was to up and sell everything my keyboards would be the only thing that returned nearly what I have spent out.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Meh, I don't get the craze either. I just don't get on with mechanicals.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Get yourself a "cheap" Steelseries 6GV2 and test a mechanical keyboard for yourself.

;)

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Last time i visited a Currys it was one with a PC Turd World section which had a Corsair K60 and a Razor keyboard with cherry switches on display to have a bash with.

13. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

I have a Mionix at home and a QPad at work, and I love them.

You can caress the keys as lightly as a lover, or bash them like a boxer and they will respond precisely each time.

Mechanical keyboards are a bit like dishwashers.

If you don't have one, you don't think you need one.

But if you do get one, you'll wonder how you ever did without.

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Feels better, and it's a hobby collecting keys if you want it to be. Some people collect stamps.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Useful for typists.

Not so useful in games.

Depending on the key type you get they will require too much force to be useful in multi touch games.

Bf3 online is probably were they are at there worst.

Typing a word document at there best.

All depends on the switch type though, some are better for gamers and some are better for typists.

I have a typist version and a normal gaming keyboard for when i game just works out easier.

16. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I have to spend time at college using a crap dome keyboard. I come home, and typing on my keyboard at home is like someone gave me 20 cans of redbull.
    so precise, you'll never miss a key with a mechanical.

If you can relate to it, think of a dome keyboard as a haribo cola bottle. it squidges, and gives you then knowledge that you have pressed it, albeit not very nicely.
    A mechanical is more like crunching a crisp with your hand. you know when it happens, you feel when it happens- it's a very positive experience. Although you don't break a mech keyboard when you use it.

To me, the difference is more that the mechanical feels like an on off switch, and the rubber domes feel analogue.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I had a mechanical kb... hated typing on it and it wasn't long before I broke it...

Though my typing is equally bad on membrane KBs

however like mice and speakers/headphones, keyboards are a subjective thing

18. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

To clarify this statement, there is only one mainstream switch type (out of 5 or so) for which this may be true, and even then it's preference.

Sorry I have this thing against making generalizations from your own specific (not very representative) observations, no offence meant!

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you like nice peripherals, have a look at them.

Personally I was interested as soon as I heard about them, but once I pushed that first switch... Oh my. I'm an utter convert now - there's no way I'll suffer a rubber-dome again. No way.

rollo: I can see what you're getting at, but with the various switch choices available there's something for everyone. A board with reds or blacks are well respected for gaming. Blues aren't ideal, I'll grant you, but browns work very well too.

20. longweight

This is not true at all.