1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte launches ultra-thin mini-ITX motherboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

surely once you add the HSF, all that hard work goes to waste?

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Awesome. Especially if you look for low-power CPUs and pair that thing with passive cooled cases like the Akasa Euler or the Streacom lineup. With the integrated PSU it's even better.

I especially like the PCIe 4x slot, as it's not a dedicated PEG slot, so you can use it for a DVB S/T dualtuner. Another good thing is the LVDS-port, so you can internally connect LCDs, which are available with touch for little money.

This screams for a really good HTPC and now we have options other then the intel DQ77KB.

6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Probably no vt-d support and realtek NIC, I think I'll stick with DQ77KB.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

If height reduction is the goal, why aren't the side connectors angled? :confused:

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Angled sata cables ?

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

10. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

PCIe x4?
    Oh, this is of super high interest for gamers...

11. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Who said gamers? This for AIOs and people who want to build stupid-small systems.

I wouldn't be up for paying much of a premium, as it's certainly not 43% shorter than the ASRock ITX board sitting next to me here - closer to 25%, and that's because the tallest thing on it is the audio on the rear I/O - 6-channel plus optical.) From the look of the board above, it's only got mic in and stereo out. Integrated PSU is nice, though - tallest thing on mine is the Pico-PSU plugged into the 24-pin connector (on the other hand, with the right PSU and AC/DC converter, I could power any IB processor I damn well please...)

Second on Xir's comment as well - no right-angle SATA at all? How stupid.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

PCIe x4 3.0 is equal to PCIe x8 2.0, which is equal to PCIe x16 1.1. Are you still sure you did want to say that ?

PCI-E 2.0 x4 vs PCI-E 2.0 x16 equals to 4% loss : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html . And we are at PCI-E 3.0 now, which is not used much at all (most cards have sub-PCI-E 2.0 x16 bandwidth requirements, if not all). Are you still sure you did want to say that ?

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You don't need the SATA-connectors actually, as this board has two mSATA ports allowing for a WiFi-card and a mSATA SSD.

Additionally, the PCIe 4x is actually very nice, as it lets you use a DVB-T/S dualtuner card, which normally doesn't work in a dedicated PCIe x16 PEG-slot.

So, can you say HTPC with DVB-T/S dualtuner, WiFi card, onboard SSD and all of this in a box as small as 250x180x30mm (WxDxH), probably passively cooled with heatpipes attached to the enclosure.?