1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft named as Cyanogen investor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Going by our experience with the rest of Linux, the only reason Android is in any sense usable for its stated purpose is because it is centrally controlled. I hate to think what's likely to happen if a "community-driven effort" attempts to make it more "flexible".

In my experience, "flexible" is the Linux euphemism for a complete free for all. If Microsoft want to attack Android by making it as unreliable as desktop Linux, they may be on to something. Although I suspect they won't, because the likes of HTC are never going to start shipping handsets that would require that much user intervention.

3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Is Android even comparable to any Linux distro out there? The only thing in common is the kernel.

Do you think they are going to break app compatibility?
    The moment they do that, they loose.

What do you mean by that?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, look. It's Phil. Hi, Phil.

hyperion likes this.
  5. rollo

rollo Modder

Android controlled me not seen this. There's a different version from every major/ minor handset / tablet maker. There's only the nexus product that is stock android.

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

No, not really. Which is probably good. Making it a flexible, community-driven effort is, I fear, the very last thing it might need.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Whilst CyanogenMod was popular with communitys like this it never saw major market share. Not sure how anyone would take Andriod off google either they own $billions in patents covering every single section of it.

If more people wanted features like cpu overclocking and Privacy guard then google would of implemented them.

How many stock andriod products can you actually buy its a small% of the total products out there so even if google offered them they may not be put in.

Googles biggest issue is ad revenue going down ( the only reason andriod exists is the ad revenue) They need to find more ways to aquire it.

8. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

As long Android apps (and Google Play installation) still work, I don't really see what is the problem.