1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Upgradeitis strikes! 70D users please!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Krikkit, 12 Aug 2015.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

So... Having decided I fancy a new body (my 1100D is feeling very dimwitted these days, despite taking some nice photos), I set myself a £300-400 budget for a replacement used body.

Having done a bit more reading (it's amazing what you miss over a couple of years) it sounds like the 70D is a huge leap forward from the 60D (which was my next-favourite) with the new 20MP sensor.

Has anyone used both, and is it as much of a step change as it sounds? I notice the 70 is available from Jessops for a decent price atm, and with 0% over 12 mo to soften the blow.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I bought one of the first 70D's to hit the UK & I love it! (upgraded from 600D).

Ditto. Absolutely love my 70D. it's a gargantuan leap forward from the 600D and 1100D and the Wifi is super-useful too.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Sep 2015
  3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I used a 70D for a minute or two in a camera store. I own a 6D. what i loved about the 70D was the auto focus while shooting video. Mainly because the 6D will not continuously auto focus while shooting video... Something that I still hate about it...
    But for the short time that I played with the 70D, it seemed like it was an excellent camera. I was pretty impressed. If it's in your budget range, I would say go for it.

4. Krikkit

Too late. :D

It's brilliant, although it'll take me a long time to get comfortable with every setting. One thing that really impresses is the high-speed shooting capability, although that does mean I have to sift through a lot more shots later on down the line!

5. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Slight necro-post - I got my 70D about the same time as you, shutter counts already > 6000, but primarily that's timelapse.

How've you found it Krikkit?

I've got MagicLantern firmware running on it for Raw video and ETTR (exposure to the right) tweaks and the thing is absolute beast mode.

6. Krikkit

I've left mine totally stock for now, but still loving it. The intelligence of the AF and the improved metering etc are all streets ahead of my 1100D. It does far more than I'll ever need, but I'm really happy with it.