1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project WOOD

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sAnity, 1 Jan 2013.

1. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, this is my HTPC project log. I guess you could say this is a scratch build, since I made the box out of Cedar based ¾" cabinet grade plywood. This build is just air cooled, seeing as I wasn't willing to spend money to water cool a computer for my parents since they haven't let me water cool my own yet. Mind you, I am only 17, still in high school, and trying to pay insurance on my car . I have built PCs for friends and customers, but never actually one from scratch for my personal self, or my immediate family. Unfortunately my mom would rather go to Staples and buy a $300 P.O.S. than have me build her a computer for the same price, thats 25-40% better, but no that is NOT an option.
    Enough of me ranting, I will get onto the parts that I have ordered or already have for this build.
    In the beginning this was supposed to be an APU build, so either Llano or Trinity, but since I have less money than I expected for this build, I changed some things.
    For this build I have bought:
    CPU: AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
    PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W
    DVD Burner: LITE-ON iHAS124-04
    Fans: Cooler Master R4-S25 4 Pack (2 front intake, 2 back exhaust) and Kingwin CF-012LB (top intake)
    along with some Silverstone fan filters, and APEVIA grills, and also motherboard standoffs, and screws
    I have also taken parts that I have already got here, and I will be putting them into this build such as:
    GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit
    RAM: ASint 4x2GB 1333MHz Dual Channel
    HDD: Samsung HM500JJ 500GB 2.5" (Movies)/Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75PSA0 (Games + Storage)/Western Digital WD800JD-08MSA1 (Dual boot Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8)
    Various parts from my old NZXT LEXA S

I have the case already built, and that will be displayed in my very first project log update! This is all very exciting!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jan 2013
  2. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

Fortunately, that means she won't blame you when it breaks :p

3. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

are you sure about that? she blames me everyday for it not working to her expectations when it comes to farmville

4. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

It looks like the power supply is in Pennsylvania and is scheduled for early delivery tomorrow, so hopefully I can get everything marked up for cutting when I get my other parts. Sorry guys, I am doing this basically all at once, mostly because my dad doesn't want to have to take more time on this than he needs to. I will be taking pictures of everything step by step, but I unfortunately won't be able to ask your guys input during the build. Sorry .

5. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

Change of plans! UPS messed up (only half way though). I have parts... but I don't have the power supply. Story from UPS is that a trailer was late, and that I won't be getting the power supply until further notice. But I do have the motherboard and everything else, so I can get the box all marked up for cutting when the power supply arrives.

6. metalglasses

metalglasses What's a Dremel?

In the future, when you are planning to upgrade your system, install the old parts into your parents compy's and see if they can figure out what you did, of course without you knowing about it.

7. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

I'm not upgrading my system, I am taking spare parts that I have lying around (all of these work) and ones I bought new to go into this scratch build. In no way am I modifying, taking parts from, or otherwise doing anything to my mom's $300 P.O.S. like I believe you thought I was doing. Correct me if I am wrong?

8. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

I have a lot of respect for people who make their computer cases out of wood! This is really interesting material to work with!

9. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

FIRST EVER UPDATE!!!
    Yesterday I tore down my old NZXT LEXA S which had some issues with stability and sturdiness. This update contains those pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not my hands, my dad's -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for this update! I do have more done, I would just prefer to space it out a little bit over time.

Teaser Pics!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have fun until next time guys!

Last edited: 6 Jan 2013
  10. sAnity

sAnity What's a Dremel?

Sorry I have not posted anything in a while guys, but my mom just went in for her 3rd spinal tap today, and I have been dealing with 3 sprained fingers over the past 3 days (my moms spinal taps haven't all been in a row, but about a month apart). This project is moving along, but at the same time is slightly delayed.