1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News World’s largest video game collection sold for $750,250

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 18 Jun 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Keen gamer & the healthiest hoarding I've seen since it pulled back a nice sum. :D

3. suragh

suragh Derp

Yup and he even went to great lengths to retrieve games he got rid of. Quite a cool achievement.

Hats off to this gentleman.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

That's nothing, with MAME you could potentially have 20.000+ games!

All jokes aside, back in the early PC days I had around 50 of them (most adventure games) on the shelf and that was, according to my friends, a huge collection! Games where something like 30 pounds. So for me it was pretty expensive collection.

Difference is I actually played the games. Just looking at a sealed box is ridiculous but seeing how much he got for it I makes me wonder where my collection went. I just can't remember anymore where they are. Bummer, could at least got 300 pounds for it I guess, but then again who on earth want to play those games from early PC days...

5. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I have to agree with you on the whole sealed box thing, really with respect to all collectibles. Games, toys, comic books are all meant to be played/read, not sealed up... but to each his own I guess.

As for the old games, I still like playing a lot of the classic Nintendo and SNES games, though my NES console gave up the ghost years ago so now I have to use an emulator. I don't play too many of the really old PC games, though I do fire up Sierra's Lords of the Realm II every so often. It was one of the first games I ever owned on the PC and I still enjoy playing it. I had to track down a recompiled executable though in order to work on Windows 7.

6. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Interesting, I looked on GOG.com and Lords of the Realm I is available, as is LotR III (which has terrible reviews) but no LotR II. I wonder why this is?

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Difference is that MAME, Emulators and roms are still pretty foggy when it comes to legality. Some companies have no problem but some companies will go to great lengths to prevent it. Doesn't stop anyone and rarely does anybody get caught or even charged. Most people just loved having games; it's more hoarding than collecting. Most 'collectors' are compelled to complete their collection, which makes it OCD, which hoarding is apparently associated with.

8. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

That is rather odd. I never played the first one. I've got an original LotR III disc, but just didn't like it and probably played it no more than a few hours total. I have somehow lost my original LotR II disc, but fortunately had burned a duplicate many years ago and though that disc was acting up, I was able to re-burn the copy and thankfully the copy of the copy works fine. I still had to jump through a couple of additional hoops, minor stuff like *.ini edits and such along with tracking down the recompiled executable because Windows 7 doesn't support 16bit installers. It's a bit easier to get running on Vista and XP machines since you don't need the other executables.

9. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

These are not all PC games. So... is he also selling the consoles along with the games? Doesn't seem like it. And besides the well known consoles, there are some pretty obscure ones in there too.

Side note, I'd love to know how long you'd have to spend to actually finish playing all these games.

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Wowz0rs! I've got hundreds of games in pristine condition in my Steam library......when I'm old I'll be able to sell them all on and retire! Oh no, wait... :/

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yeah but did he have Battletoads?

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I met this guy years ago, bloody nice chap!

Surprised he's sold his collection, it was something he took great pride in. From the money I saw change hands in the short day I spent with him I doubt $750K recoups the money plunged into this collection. Am curious if this sale includes his fanny pack, the yanks do love their fanny packs! :D

13. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

I was going to say hang onto it as it may be rare but, looking again, the LotR: Royal Edition on GOG.com comes with LotR II and the LoTR II Siege Pack expansion. It's only $2.39 in the sale at the moment, and guaranteed to work on Windows 7 & 8, so might be worth the small outlay for fans of LoTR.

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I loved Battlemaniacs!

15. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Don't get me started on the current GOG sale!

16. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

And to think the Steam sale starts tomorrow - my poor wallet! :)

17. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Sweet... thanks for the heads up. I'll have to take a look at this especially since I don't have the Siege Pack expansion.

Tags: Add Tags