1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice System Turns on for 2/3 seconds and then stops.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greg_Head, 3 Jan 2014.

1. Greg_Head

Greg_Head What's a Dremel?

My friend recently bought some parts ( http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mnQH ) for a build but has built it outside the case and it has yet to boot up for more than a few seconds.

*He has checked the PSU is functional with the paperclip test and is fairly sure the GPU and CPU are both installed correctly. *

He has been unable to completely put in the 24 pin power connector to the motherboard but thinks any more force could damage the PCB.

What could be the cause/how would you solve it?​

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Sometimes its difficult to fit the 4+20 pin in. I've had trouble in the past with a 450 watt corsair psu where the 4 pin wouldn't fit, and it took quite a bit of force to get it to fit. I tried with a 2nd psu to determine it was the original and not the socket on the motherboard. I'd say first and foremost, get that 24 pin psu in all the way. If it's still only powering on for a few seconds, something may be shorting. I've experienced it in the past, so he might have to take the rig apart and build it on a cardboard box and have the motherboard sit on an anti-static bag just to determine if something is shorting.

3. Greg_Head

Greg_Head What's a Dremel?

How would you recommend that he gets the 24 pin fully in? He has said that he has used a lot of force and tried things such as wiggling it in. (Also, he is currently building on a cardboard box.)

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I has this when I accidentally bashed my computer once. Reseating the CPU heatsink and fan fixed me up.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Check there's no bent pins in the 24 pin socket on the motherboard

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

See if he can slide just the 20 pin in, then take it out and try the 4 to rule out one of them not being aligned properly. As Teelzebub also said, checking for bent pins is also a good call. If they both slide in properly, try putting them back together to form the 24 and see WHERE it gets stuck. For my issue, it was the actual clips that connected the 20 and 4 pin together that got in the way. I was able to get either the left side in, or the right in, but it was catching on the middle.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

has he put the cpu power cord in?

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

^ Sounds like he may have left the 4pin-8pin atx plug off.