1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cheap OLED TVs still "three to four years" away, says Samsung

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

translation: we *can* make them cheaper, but people are still prepared to pay the premium so we're not going to...

3. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Cancellation of Plasma's handed them the market on plate.

Greed is good - Gordon Gecko

4. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Maybe Samsung can't make them cheap but LG recently announced that together with another firm they have a low cost effective way of "printing" oled screens for mass production.....don't know how long that will take to get product to market but they have a way to do it now apparently.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I dunno, I was really excited about the incoming OLED TVs when they were announced, but having seen them in the flesh I found them to be really disappointing. I just don't like how they're all curved now, plus given they're just 1080p, being 50" screens they don't look so hot. I find the curve annoying as it looks stupid as hell when wall mounted, the thinness doesn't look that impressive either as they're still limited by the stand and IO sections. If the screen was flat, 4k and had a really thin profile throughout (maybe make the whole thing a bit fatter and incorporate the IO ports more creatively?) then I'd say they're onto a winner. As it stands, the price needs to come down and the tech needs to improve to be very interesting. Dat power consumption though...

6. John_T

John_T Minimodder

To be honest, I sincerely doubt that's the case. The real money for any company is in selling huge numbers of mass-market products - not a tiny number of exclusive products, even if the profit margins may be bigger. All of the world's biggest companies are ones that sell to the general public, selling to the rich is a very niche market. I reckon Samsung would bring these out next week if they could.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I think he means that the mass market is still happy to throw money at the standard TVs we have now with many still being awed by the 'bigger is better' factor. When the market slows down enough only then will the next generation of technology filter through. Any major company tries to maximise the profits of a product line by extending it's life cycle as long as possible while production methods and costs constantly decrease.

Personally I don't have an issue with the thickness or thinness of flat screen TVs any more. I mean the TV is the thinnest part of the set up and even if wall mounted, I am pretty sure that I don't need that extra 2-4 inches in front of my TV being made vacant by an even thinner model.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I don't understand why they have made this curve nonsense. Surely films have been and are being edited for a flat screen... ?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's just a gimmick as many may not even tell the difference between a £3000 oled model and their similarly priced plasma or lcd.

Also, the review of an OLED model I saw had disgraceful latency. I think it totalled 160ms or something. You couldn't play a game on it that is for sure. My AV receiver only lets me go up to a total of 160ms audio delay.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

4k is where its at, anything else is Low Res!

S*D

10. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

No, 8k is where the party really starts. 8640p cheesecake!

Get with the times, plasma man :D

Tags: Add Tags