1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ProtoHype - (paused)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 13 Aug 2009.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

PROTOHYPE

Now it's time for my second project here on bit-tech. It's been a long time since my last project (Widescreen Projector). Ever since the completion of the projector in 2006 a custom pc project has been on the planing stages. Many different 3D models and sketches have been made and I have got a bunch of case ideas that I hope will get a project log of their own some day.

Why ProtoHype?.. well I'm not to sure about the name, feel free to contribute with better ones if you like. But if I'm gonna try to relate it, it's probably because it is supposed to look more like a machine prototype of some sort and I guess the hype could be related to all the totally unnecessary stuff I will put in it to make it geeky enough. It was first intended to be some kind of steampunk theme but it evolved into a more modern kind of steampunk machinery look.

This project started more than a year ago, however, , there hasn't been much work done because my designengineer studies is in another town. I have been waiting to start this log until I know that I will be able to update it continuously with more work. At the moment there is a metal and wood workshop at school. I'm supposed to have access to this workshop on the spare time but I have waited more than 2 years now and ..I've had it. Since I only got one more year left in school I realized I need to get my own tools...so i did(see below).

Specifications

Case
    • 2 seperate watercooling loops
    • Custom waterblocks for cpu, nort/south bridge, RAM's, HDD and maybe GPU
    • 3x120mm Black Ice Extreme Radiator
    • External watertanks
    • Front acts as a radiator
    • A lot of aluminium

Hardware
    So far I have desided to wait with the hardware until most of the case is finished. The hardware I currently got is not top notch, and therefore any potential new hardware is put on hold because any large economical funds are absent at the moment.

And now to the pics.

Here is some of the doodle sketches that have been made. No top of the line sketches, but at least it shows how some of the ideas are developing. As you can see from the paper of choice this is what happens when I'm bored in class.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is one of the ideas for the foot, not the definit one but a hint of what's in my mind.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is a simple marker sketch to practice some drawing.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is some basic 3D renders to get a better understanding of what I'm trying to do. Since I don't know this software that good, I focused the modeling to the exterior of the main body. I didn't bother to putt much effort into all the details as I think there need to be some moment of surprise to keep a projectlog interesting. And some parts are left out because I simply haven't decided what to do yet. As for the case feet.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

As I mentioned previously I ordered a couple of new tools too be able to fabricate all the bits and pieces I wanted. And if I can't get to the schools workshop, I'll have to build my own .. even if I'll have to spend all my savings.
    Here's one of the packages.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Tada... a brand new 9x30 lathe
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Next tool arived like this. Not as brand new. Kind of messy and badly treated..
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

...So while I waited for the electrician, i took some time disassembling, cleaning and repainting it.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Finished.. much nicer to work with this
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

That mill weighs 350kg and I had to get it up there on my own. Never thought I would make it but with a lot of elbow grease, some rollers and a bandy stick it's sits where it 's supposed to.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Okay now for the Construction of the case itself. Guess the pictures speak for them self.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Now it's time for some sleep. Tomorrow I will continue with the work done on the DVD-drive

Adjö

/Gnu

Last edited: 7 Jun 2011
  2. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

ill keep my eye on this one
    your rough drawings look great!!!!!!!!

3. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

nice, the designs look awesome,
    subscribed :thumb:

4. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

Look really interesting cant wait fore more.

some how I like this drawing more than the sketchup.

5. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Like the design. It has something... Not completely industrial, not steampunk either... something

6. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Your drawing is amazing :thumb: I'll keep an eye on this here.

7. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

Your drawings are amazing, your tools are amazing and the design is truely fantastic!
    I'm hooked up!

8. Kyor

Kyor A Visitor

This is going to be a fantastic case m8.
    I'm realy looking forward to completion ;)

9. Eurofix

Eurofix What's a Dremel?

Your design is very cool and the new toolz are awesome - looking forward to updates on this one.

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thank you.
    Thank you, I do prefer drawing when I can't fully master the software.

Thank you, lets hope you'll keep seeing that something

Thanks a lot..

I'm glad you like it all.

yay...so do I. Thanks

There will be another update soon with a little bit more building going on, just need to sort out the pics and there is just so many of them.

/Gnu

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thank you... still learning the tools, takes some time though :(

/Gnu

Javerh likes this.
  12. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I just realized that the base isn't flat and has the same shape of the case's top. Have you thought in some kind of feet or stand?

13. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah. I wrote a little bit about it above the rendered images. But basically it will have some kind of stand. Something like a single foot to make it look like it is levitating. That's what I tried to illustrated in these sketches. I've got abunch of other ideas as well but I feel like to wait until I get a feel of the case before Ideside
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

/Gnu

14. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

Fantastic!
    Very nice sketches. I am going to watch this one closely.
    Oh and those are some very nice shop tools!

15. Nibbler

Nibbler What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: your sketches make me crazy!!!

The front remeber me some structures, buildings present in half-life 2!!
    Keep on modding man :thumb:

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thx to both of you, feels nice to hear you like the sketches.

/Gnu

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Okay time for a progress update.
    This is the window mod of the DVD-drive. This was created before I had my mill and lathe and it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Since I'm such freak when it comes to the finish of the things I do, I often spend way to much time trying to achieve perfection. I often end up redoing some parts over and over again until I'm satisfied. I'm not kidding when I say I have at least spent 100 hours on this DVD drive.

As you probably notice I have removed the center magnetic ring that is supposed to support the disk from above. This will be added later onto the plexi window because I want the window as big as possible. This proved to be one of the mor time consuming tasks.

But anyway here are the pics

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Each of the screws had to go through a makeover in the drillpress. Using a file, I trimmed them down to make them flush with the rest of the drive case. They were also shortened to the right size.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here they are all done. The original screws are the ones in the front. The surface of the modded screws doesn't look that rough in reality. It is probably because this is such a macro shot and the screws are M2 and M3.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Before and After shot of the trimmed down M2 screws..
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Painted with matt black spray paint.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Backside of the top with all the M2 nuts in place.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Plexi being drilled.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Some of the holes (the big ones) are not drilled all the way through. This is because they will prevent the bolts from falling in to the drive if they were to come loose but still make room for the M2 bolts when the top and plexi is mounted together.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

And here is the top and window mounted together. Here it's easier to see that some of the holes are not drilled all the way through.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Hope you like it.

/Gnu

Last edited: 6 Sep 2009
  18. Nibbler

Nibbler What's a Dremel?

:rock:
    What kind of material did you use to make the extra layer and the rails?

Nib :lol:

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh, This is going to be fun!:D I'm loving this already!
    Nice score on the Mill. I like the concept sketch of the front that had random circles better.
    For the foot: If you can make it only attach to the back half of the case, so the front is hanging free, that would look awesome. It would give the front a more intimidating look- just floating there.

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

The rails are cut from a single lengt of small anodized aluminum bar from the local hardware store, therfore the width and height of it was already there. I only cut the right lengt and shaped the edges.