1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films New Mortal Kombat something..?

Discussion in 'General' started by NuTech, 8 Jun 2010.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Jun 2010
    CardJoe likes this.
  2. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Hole E Crap.

I cant wait for this!

7of 9 is Sonya Blade!

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

production values are too high to be a game, deffo looks like a film

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

That's what I initially thought, but short films to promote games are all the rage lately (Halo, Assassins Creed 2, Red Dead Redemption etc).

If it was an actual feature length movie, I just doubt they would promote it like this.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Oh wow. I hope this is for a film. :thumb:

6. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Film fo sure. And with Jeri Ryan featuring it's already worth watching.

7. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

If that's a full movie, I want to see it.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

always a little cheesy to hear characters call each other by their game names but the trailer is really well made. I like how they took drastic decisions like killing johnny cage and making scorpion somewhat of a good guy (he's not on the villain's side after all)

really cool

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

There's been loadsa rumours of a MK reboot but keeps getting shutdown, as much as that was a kickass video the stars aren't exactly top names (better than original cast though),

I reckon either a video to help reboot the movie or even the games, the story is too "real life" to be a follow on game

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Michael Jai White should be forever banned from saying "assassin", but yes, that looks like one badass setup, movie or game.

I'd prefer a movie, though.

Also: MJW was going to be Jax, but New Line snagged him for Spawn - Could well be a movie.

11. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Hopefully a film, though new game wont be bad either.

12. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I think it's a "proof of concept" for a movie, Warner got the rights to MK a few years ago and it's been rumored a reboot has been on the cards since. Here's hoping something gets announced soon!

13. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Okay, so Kotaku has confirmed (via Jeri Ryan's twitter) that this is a 'treatment' for a non-existent movie. The director basically fronted the money (and called in a lot of favours) to make a short movie in hopes of convincing WB of his vision in order to get financing for a full MK reboot.

No word yet how WB reacted, but considering that the video made it to the internet, it's not looking good (treatments are usually kept under lock and key while being shopped around).

You guys might remember another similar treatment that appeared on the internet last year, for a British retro-futuristic/sci-fi/heist series called Slingers. Received a huge amount of attention but unfortunately, it never made it into development. :(

Last edited: 9 Jun 2010
    CardJoe likes this.
  14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've updated this thread based on the news story at the front, leaving original content but including links. +Rep to NuTech

15. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

"Deep Space Nine actress Jeri Ryan"? Tut tut she was in Voyager. I'm not even a trekkie and I know it wasn't deep space nine!

Movie in this format would be saaweeeet!!

16. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Instead of WB deciding to make it shouldn't they ask us if we want them to make seeing as its us who are going to pay to watch the film and general feeling on You Tube is positive.

I for one would watch it if they made it.

17. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

THE ONE WHO SAID Jeri Ryan Is From Deep Space nine to Mass Give the Source of information is DEAD wrong : Jeri Ryan if Seven of Nine (Season 4-7 Voyager) She was a Drone Without humanity inside

But There one thing both Deep Space nine & Voyager are Linked to the same Stellar date : 2371 to 2378
    Expect Deep space 9 was under construction when the captain Kathryn Janeway was In the Quadran Delta a unexplored area of space by the Alliance & Starfleet Federation :

thus the Deep space nine take time in 2373-2375 only two year as pass in the universe Time line while Voyager 7 Long Year with a goal return to earth within a pacific and the directive of Star fleet

But Yeah This movie seem to be really in making it called mortal Kombat Rebirth But I'm not sure if they changed the story of sub-zero vs scorpion and does explain why

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

My bad. I know all the facts, I just had a brain fart and turned Seven of Nine into Deep Space Nine. The part of me which used to be a really big Trekkie is now ashamed, but at least the article is corrected.

19. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Oh how I miss Voyager so.

20. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Doesn't really work like that I'm afraid. At most they'll get a few thousand fans responding, which doesn't mean anything to WB. I'm sure they're paying attention to the 'buzz' on the internet, but lets be honest, the internet will buzz for just about anything.

If it does get green-lit you can guarantee one thing, Jeri Ryan won't play Sonya Blade. The studio will most likely think she's too old and doesn't appeal to teenagers. Instead expect some vapid model/'actress' who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

100% pure unadulterated nerd rage. :clap: