1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress F3nix MS1.1 - MOTM Nominee :D

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by F3nixMods, 9 Sep 2014.

1. F3nixMods

F3nixMods What's a Dremel?

Hello Everyone

I have been building my custom desk for a while now and it has reached that stage where I feel that it's time to share with this great community.

Would like to thank the likes of Peter Brands and Pascal de Greef who have inspired and motivated me to attempt something of this scale, there has been stages where I just thought that it was turning out to be a bit too much but with a bit of research I have come to learn that everything is possible. I have also learned along this journey that there is some really good people out their who are willing to give up their own time to assist and help a total stranger in all ways that they can. There's still hope for humanity after all :thumb: lol

I have picked up a few sponsors along the way which I will be introducing as I progress through this build log, I would like to take this opportunity to once more thank them for their help and belief, this project would have been completely different without their help :dremel:

But let's get this build log going, I will try and keep it as short as possible but have well over 1000 pictures on my facebook page, which by the way is FenixMS1.1. Just in case anyone is interested to have a look.

Mod to live or live to mod???:confused::D

Thank you everyone. Hope you enjoy the ride

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jan 2015
  2. F3nixMods

I would like to take the chance to send a huge thank you to all the companies that have believed and decided to support this build. I surely wouldn't have been able to do it the same way without their amazing help. Thank you All :D

[​IMG]
    Water Cooling Parts
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Power and Reset Switches
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Laser Cutting - Thanks Nate for all the help and support when I didn't really know what I was doing :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSU and Fans
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    LED Lighting and Custom Cables
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fans
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Partial Sponsor of a 360 Admiral Radiator
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4TB Hard Drive
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Water Cooling Parts
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Water Cooling Parts
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PSU and Fans
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Slim Optical Disc Drives, 5.25" Aluminium Cover Bay and Fan Filters
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    16GB (4096MB 512M x 64-Bit x 4 pcs.) DDR4-2666MHz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2 Huge Custom Sized Filters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Feb 2015
  3. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Hey buddy!

Have been following your work on facebook for a while, and enjoyed it. Welcome to the forums - Please take a few moments to read the rules before you post:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=113985

Also, when posting pictures in the worklog here, please be carefull not to just spam the thread with pictures. Many people make the mistake that more pictures = more awesommer. Few nicer pics are better than a wall of pictures that you just end scrolling by.

Looking forward to the progress:)

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Where dat log at?

5. F3nixMods

Thanks p0Pe, really appreciate the kind comments. That's precisely my intention, not too many pictures as I want to catch up with the current state of the build as soon as possible.

6. F3nixMods

Sorry Mr B Neg, didn't realise that had to post some pictures straight away. Uploading pictures at the moment...

7. F3nixMods

Right, let's get this started.

I've used an electric metal mitre saw to cut all the aluminium tubes, plastic connectors to connect all the tubes and rivets to firmly keep the whole frame together.

Final result was this.

[​IMG]
    It all starts with the first cut!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It starts to take shape...

[​IMG]
    And that's the frame put together, time to move on to the bottom of the frame

[​IMG]
    3mm aluminium sheet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After quite a few rivets this is the result. Looks like a turtle on it's back :D

[​IMG]
    :dremel:That's it!!!

Last edited: 10 Sep 2014
  8. jojoharalds

jojoharalds Minimodder

This Is so awsome :)

9. F3nixMods

Thanks Jojo ;)

10. F3nixMods

Lateral exhaust fan holders in the making...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done and fitted to the case. They will actually change in the future but will spare from the pictures then.

The whole project has been a huge learning process, in future will ensure that the planning stage is not skipped as it saves a lot of time and material. :grr:

Mod on!!!

11. F3nixMods

Sanded the the bottom of the case and moved on to the external plates.

I'm showing just a few pictures to give you an overall idea of what was done. There are a lot more pictures in my Facebook FenixMS1.1 page if you're curious enough...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This lateral plates are all made using different sized u channels stuck together using JB Weld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to take a bit of shape now...

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Huge, man! I just painted a closet that was smaller than that.:lol:

13. F3nixMods

Wait till you see the whole thing Cheapskate :D

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed, it looks great but all that metal... Wow, it's going to weigh about the same as my car.. Looking forward to seeing this one developes.

15. F3nixMods

Finishing the external panels and preparing to do the oak top

On this update I'll be showing some pictures of the finished external panels and how I double checked measurements to do the oak top.

Majority of the external panels were done using aluminium profiles which meant that the top and bottom of those panels had to be filled using Isopon Metalik body filler, lengthy and messy job for sure. :wallbash:

Did the corner panel with the MS1.1 letters from a 3mm aluminium sheet cut to measure, used a fretsaw and needle files to finish off.

Bought a cheap mdf board just to double check measurements prior to getting the actual oak top done. Glad I did this as one of my measurements was out by 5mm, could have been a very expensive mistake and without doubts very frustrating

You'll be able to see some parts in the pictures that were replaced with more suitable upgrades, many hours of work wasted but I am much happier with the final result :naughty:
    It's funny how easy it is to change your mind during a project and how sometimes it leads to learning new skills. All great stuff!!! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the template in place is time to start cutting...

[​IMG]

... and the final result.

[​IMG]

This is the metal filler that I chose to use, really good stuff and very easy to sand.

[​IMG]

Several thin layers worked great and the final result was a lot better than the above picture, lol.

[​IMG]

And here it is, pretty much finished and ready for painting. Just kidding, so much more to do...

Anyway, moving on to the oak top...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really happy I bought this cheap mdf board, saved me bucket loads of money in the end. :thumb:

Till the next update

16. F3nixMods

Almost agree with you bulldogjeff. Not quite as heavy but only because it won't have an engine. lol

17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The ariel atom has wheels and an engine and weighs about a quarter of what this will....lol

Saying that though, the ariel atom can't play Crysis

18. F3nixMods

Wait till u see the rest. It will be getting a lot heavier

19. F3nixMods

Hi guys. Sorry it's been so long since the last update but been really busy designing the panels for the F3nix pedestal, to be revealed soon.

On this update I want to show you how the front and lateral panels of the enclosure will be secure to the aluminium enclosure. They will be really easy to remove/swap as all I need to do is slid them in/out. Nice interchangeable panels for the future :D

I've used aluminium (what else?) u-channels to create the panels frame

[​IMG]

and pretty much goes like this:

[​IMG]

JB Weld to secure the frames in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you go, nice and simple. Will be back very soon with more updates.

Mod on!!!:rock:

20. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Wow! A lot of work has gone in to this. This is modding at its best! Keep it up:dremel: