1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ciobanulx, 22 Dec 2014.

1. ciobanulx

ciobanulx Modder / Watercooler

[​IMG]

Case: Modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K
    GPU: nVidia GTX 970 SLI (still need to acquire)
    RAM: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominator GTs 2133Mhz
    SSD: undecided
    HDD: undecided
    PSU: Corsair AX860

Cables: Icemodz custom sleeved white and green cables

Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper Monsta 240mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 360mm
    Fans: 7 x Gelid Wing Green
    Pump: Swiftech MCP35X with Koolance casing and heatsink
    Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Full Acrylic
    Fittings: Primochill Rigid Ghost Green fittings, various Bitspower matte black extensions and angle fittings
    Tubing: Primochill Rigid Clear
    CPU Block: EK-Supremacy CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
    GPU Block: 2 x EK-FC670 CSQ Nickel Acetal (reusing old blocks that will fit on some GTX 970 reference cards)
    RAM Block: EK-RAM Monarch X4 CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
    Motherboard Block: EK-MOSFET ASUS M5G Acetal
    SLI Bridge: EK-FC Bridge CSQ Polished Dual Parallel
    Coolant: Mayhems UV Emerald Green

Lighting: DarkSide UV LED strips

Other: nVidia Claw SLI Bridge, Aquaero 5LT USB fan controller

SPONSOR

[​IMG]

Hello guys and welcome to my new build log and what will be my second mod project.

Some of you may know me from my previous build the Vault Boy which had the honor of being nominated for MOTM here back in September :).

This build is more of an upgrade of my other system in a Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 in which I will be keeping most of the components as well as adding new ones :) and a lot of modding work to the case and other bits :p

Here is the build in it's current state or how it was a few days ago before a pretty major event happened and I had to take it apart sooner than I thought ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be another colourful build in the same style as Vault Boy however no game theme this time. The colours will be white, green and bits of black as well as going with a molecule design in some places, hence the name Green Molecule :)

I still have a small update for Vault Boy in mind which would have nonetheless taken my a couple of days to do as it involved draining the loop and taking a few things out. The plan was to tackle it this past weekend though I did not expect something to happen to this system in the meantime ...

Saturday morning while I was still enjoying my sleep my partner wakes me up telling me there is a burning smell coming from the system, me thinking she's just making fun of me as she sometimes does, I choose to ignore her :hehe: . However as she kept insisting and telling me that it's no joke I got up and went to the other room where the system was just to be greeted by this awful smell of burnt plastic and a couple of seconds later realising that the DDC pump had burned out.

The CPU was rocking 105C according to Real Temp but was still running fine. Not sure how long it's been like that, it was running the whole night as we stream movies to our bedroom from it and before I went to sleep it was fine. I immediately turned it off by just a normal shut down and there went my day as I decided to just dismantle the thing there and then.

The aftermath is shown in the following pics as I went ahead and took everything apart, cleaned it and installed the system on my desk to test everything. Fortunately everything was fine minus a burned out DDC pump :D. The little guy has been pumping my liquid pretty much 24 hours straight for the past two years and a bit and it decided it's had enough of the Queensland heat. Just when I was about to mount a heat sink on it along with the upgrade of the system :).

And let's start straight with the dirty stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the little guys burned out pretty good, I doubt I can salvage it with a new PCB from that DIYINHK site that still sell them :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I'm guessing right the fluid must have been boiling around the CPU area that caused the tube to fog up as well as deform a little bit to the touch. My partner may have woken me up just in time to save it. Not sure if the system would have shut itself off after a while or if the acrylic tube would of just melted but I think I'm lucky nothing further happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the empty case and by the looks of things something funny happened to the label on that Corsair Force GT SSD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And everything out on the table to be cleaned and inspected :)

You may also spot the new side panel that I have been working on the few days prior, finished it the night before.

Here's a better look at the side panel

[​IMG]

The plan was to have more molecules but I managed to mess up the left side of it so decided to just make the window bigger. Still think it came out pretty good in the end, minus a few painting mess ups due to an unexpected storm that occurred as the paint was drying.

[​IMG]

These are the molecule shapes I used as I am not good at drawing things :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A better look at the finished side panel as well as the very last pic of the system running :)

The side panel was fully crafted by me using a Dremel rotary tool, a jig saw and lots of filing :D

I was also playing around with this new Aquaero 5LT controller the night before. Installed the optional heatsink but didn't get to test it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I managed to get some work done on the planned case mods as well as painting :D

First I cut a small hole in the floor which I will use as a drain from the bottom outlet of the Alphacool Monsta 240mm rad that will be going in the front of the case.

[​IMG]

Did a cut on the MB tray as well. I will be making a shroud for the bottom so I cut the bottom right corner of the MB tray as to better help with cable management at the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a small mistake here and started cutting higher that I wanted to. However it doesn't make a difference as I will be putting some white acrylic around the MB that will cover everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then got the case ready for painting :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this last pic you can see how the brushed aluminum aspect of the front panel looks after painting.

Some parts will be going green tomorrow while other will stay white.

The plan is to have the inside of the case white and the outside shell green like the side panel. Hopefully it will look good like I'm imagining it.

That's it for now guys. Let me know what you think so far. Feedback will be much appreciated

Last edited: 5 Feb 2015
  2. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I'll be watching this, I'm a big fan of vault boy!
    I had a DDC pump fail recently, it was due to corrosion rather than burnt out but I found a good number of guides online for replacing the board when they burn-out.
    I also have my second pump hooked-up to the cpu fan header to keep an eye on it and make noises if it fails.
    Did you not have the bios set to shut down when it overheats?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

3. ciobanulx

Thanks for checking out both my builds and I'm glad you liked Vault Boy :D

Hopefully I can live up to the hype of my first case mod with my second one now :blush:

The two DDC pumps I used in Vault Boy were purchased on eBay for $50 if I remember correctly. Both with good internals but one of them failed straight after I got it during testing. I then got two replacement PCBs from DIYINHK for $20 and got a guy to install both of them for $10 as I'm no good with stuff like that. They work like a charm now, so in the end I think it was a good investment :). I might try and revive this one the same way but I doubt it will be any good as most of it burned out underneath the PCB too. I will be using a Swiftech MCP35X that I have in this build tho :).

To be honest I'm not even sure how the bios was set when overheating, I can't remember and then I reset everything as I didn't wanna turn it on with my 4.7Ghz overclock on the 3770K with the stock Intel cooler :hehe:. I need to look into that but what I do remember is making the stupid mistake of not plugging the pump into the MB header and setting the CPU fan monitoring to ignore. As I said in before, I got lucky and nothing else failed other than the pump, temps are pretty good all air cooled at the moment sitting on my desk with no case very ghetto looking until I finish the case

4. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

It does make me wonder what happens in a loop when the pump stops, just how much heat is moved to the radiators? You certainly got lucky!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

5. ciobanulx

I think not much by the looks of what happened to that tube around the CPU. The CPU being the hottest part, it seems to me that the water pretty much started boiling there as the CPU got over 100C. There was no flow at all and it deformed the tube. All other tubes were fine though :). Yup definitely lucky!

6. ciobanulx

Now with a shiny new banner :D

7. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Vault Boy was awesome, as was Fallout 3, so subbed! Also, D5 F.T.W. :D

8. ciobanulx

Cheers mate. Yea Fallout 3 was awesome, wish I could find the time to play it again :)

I do have some D5s as well though I'm gonna stick with a DDC again, guess we never learn :lol:, hopefully with a heatsink it will be fine even in the Queensland heat

9. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys! Hope you've all had a great Christmas, I've been quite busy with the fam over these past few days though I did manage to put the frame of the case back together and I gotta say it came out quite nicely. The outer bits I'm gonna leave them to dry for a few more days just to make sure and I'm also still waiting on some materials, the post hasn't come in days now :( hopefully I receive something before the new year.

Oh and check out that update banner :D

Here's the case so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll take some better shots when I get a chance :)

Enjoy the rest of the holidays :thumb:

Cheers,

Alex

10. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys. I've been taking it easy over the holidays but it's time to get back to work. Here's a small update of what I've been working on for the front and top panel grills of the case :D

I previously painted them white, I then cut some molecule shapes out of white vinyl, though any colour could have worked. I then painted green over them and after drying I took off the vinyl stickers. Very simple do to and I'm very happy with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Alex

11. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys. I've been getting quite a few things done to the case in the past few days.

Firstly here's the case with the top and front panels finished. Pretty happy with the way they turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up fully stripping both side panels, including the windowed one as I was not happy with the finish. I will be painting them in the next couple of days :)

[​IMG]

I also did some work on the acrylic panels that will be covering up the inside of the case in some places. It is a nice glossy white acrylic so hopefully it will show some cool reflections once the build is complete.

Here's the front bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be the shroud for the bottom of the case. Hiding the PSU and also I will mount the Aquaero to the inside of it.

[​IMG]

Cut and ready for bending, though it was getting quite late that night so I haven't bent it yet. Finger crossed it will turn out good. It will be the first time I'm bending an acrylic panel.

[​IMG]

This is the panel for the back

[​IMG]

Here it is cut and in place inside the case. The top right corner bit will be covered by the radiator and fans.

[​IMG]

I decided to make two small windows to show off the SSDs on the back of the motherboard tray.

[​IMG]

Haven't filled the cuts as again, it was getting quite late that night

[​IMG]

Here it is on the case though

[​IMG]

That's all for now guys.

Stay tuned for the next update.

Cheers,

Alex

12. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Sweet, nice progress!

13. ciobanulx

Thanks mate :D

14. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys! Here's a small update on the build.

I bent the acrylic piece for the shroud. I think it came out pretty good for my first acrylic panel bend.

Firstly here's a look at the painted rads. You'll notice on the 240 Monsta I stuck some molecule vinyl shapes and painted over to have an even look. Didn't come out as I expected thought I still like the look of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is how I paint the rads. Cover up all the fins with some painters tape and use some long screws to give me something to grab on to and flip it over so that I can do both sides at once. Another option would be to hang them, though I don't have the space for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the case with the shroud in, although it's not secured yet, just sitting in place. Also the front rad is just sitting there so I can visualize the look of things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope I won't have clearance issues with the EK-FC Bridge for the two GPU water blocks with the shroud. Might be pretty tight once the GPUs are in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might have something special going in the 5.25" bays. We'll have to wait and see

[​IMG]

A look from the back and underneath the shroud. Plenty of room for cable management and I hope that once the PSU is in place the Aquaero will have some room left in there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side panels are still not painted. It's been way to hot and humid here in Queensland to paint these past few days. I did clean them up and prepped them nicely so they are ready to paint on the next cool .. er day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A close look at the SSD windows

[​IMG]

I think the windowed side panel will look sweet once the build is completed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it. Now I need to get the motherboard in and take some measurements for the MB tray acrylic piece. Secure everything properly inside the case, get those side panels done and the case will be near completed.

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

15. ciobanulx

[​IMG].

Hey guys. Here's a quick look at some of the components and water blocks.

EK Maximus V Gene water block painted white

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polished EK Ram block with the Primochill rigid fittings that I will be using

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EK Supremacy EVO CPU block polished and painted white

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waterblock installed on the motherboard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the heat sink for painting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added some white vinyl to the side of the ram slot that will be seen. The ram will also get custom graphics

[​IMG]

Batter look with all the waterblocks on

[​IMG]

You can also see I added some white vinyl on top of the sata connectors

[​IMG]

White strip on the RAM though I don't like the look of it, as I said custom graphics for the RAM will be coming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heat sink is back on the motherboard after painting. I will be making a custom plate for it with some nice ROG graphics to match the theme of the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's pretty much it for now guys. Most of the red bits on the motherboard will be covered by components so they won't be seen and the build will still stick to the green and white theme.

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

16. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Nice work on the case.
    I am surprised with the green paint you chose though. It is kind of a Xmas tree green, while I expected you to use a more acid green to match the coolant and its UV reactive nature.

17. ciobanulx

Thanks mate :D

Yea in the pics it does look a bit like that however to the eye it is a blueish green sorta like the green in the banners :). I didn't want to use an acid green as I thought it would have been just too eye popping. I wanted a more subtle look to the case with the green colour. Hopefully once the UV lights are in it will all blend in nicely :)

18. Zoyadog

Zoyadog What's a Dremel?

Wow really nice worklog, really enjoyed it so far and i will follow this one. I like the banners :D the molecule theme is great.
    Beautiful shade of green, those fittings *drools*.. :D

19. ciobanulx

Thanks a lot. I like your projects too, really nice work on your 800D mod, loved it. I have an 800D tucked away for a future project :p

20. ciobanulx

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

Here are the Gelid Wing UV Green fans. 7 will be going in the build, 3 on the top 360 radiator in push and 4 on the front 240 radiator in push/pull. This is a quick look at the fans before painting along with the UV LED strips from DarkSide. Two of the fans have white LEDs, those will be going in the front of the case on the 240 rad and will be staying black, the rest of the fans will have the casing painted white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the two with white LEDs

[​IMG]

I have 9 of them but will only need 7 in the build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out.