1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Project Alternate 'COMPLETED'

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Deblow, 10 Mar 2015.

1. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

[​IMG]

Project Alternate: PC in a desk scratch build & MODs

Hi all,
    After what feels like a very long year I have decided to start work on my new desk build.
    The idea for this desk came to me when i was working on my last desk & at one point I almost started the project
    again, but I'm glad i didn't

Most people liked the desk & I learned a great deal during the build.

The Project Alternate design slightly changed month by month & I will show some of the other plans & explain why the changes was made.
    This time I'm hoping to outdo my last desk & hopefully help others in the process.

The desk work is about to start, using mostly MDF, Perspex, clay, metal & glass I plan to build the desk in 3 parts,
    starting from the bottom, then middle followed by the top section.
    the tricky parts will be the sharp corners & angles on the edges.

In making the desk in 3 parts it will allow for easy transport from my garden shed to my
    very small room/office.

I plan to have the 2 reservoirs just under the top shelf so i can see the water flowing by :)

have a couple of different layouts for the internal components,
    but want to wait until the top compartment is built so I can see IRL what looks & works best.

For the specs, I'm upgrading from my trusty i5-2500k to a i7-5820K, due to the CPU upgread I will also be using the new ASUS X99 TUF
    motherboard & DDR4

This time I will also go with 3 screens at 1440p if possible, or 1X 4K screen, so my HD7970s will also need upgrading to a R9-295x2.

The desk is going to take months to complete, so rushing out for parts now is not necessary unless it's something on sale I can't pass on :D

**UPDATE 18/10/15: some Specs**

SPECS
    CPU - i7-5820k
    MB - ASUS Sabertooth X99
    RAM - 32GB Avexir Blitz 1.1 (DDR4)
    GPU - ASUS R9-295x2
    PSU - Cooler Master: V1200 Platinum
    PSU2 - Cooler Master: GM750W
    Fans - Cooler Master: Jet flow 120's & Cooler Master Silencio FP120 PWM
    HDs - Western Digital Green 6TB - Barracudas x2 2TB - Wester Digital Green 1TB
    SSDs - 2x Samsung EVO850s 250GB (500GB)
    RADS - 2x Phobya G-Changer 360 RADs V.2
    RES - 2x Phobya 450 reservoirs
    CPU WB - Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light
    PUMP - 2x Alphacool VPP655
    GPU WB - Alphacool NexXxoS GPX
    KB - CM Storm quickfire xti
    Mouse - CM Storm Reaper

For people that just want to see the photos & the build progress here are the build log vids
    The final will be added later.

Build log 1

Build log 2

Build log 3

Desk top lift

Thanks to the sponsors.
    Cooler Master UK, CM Storm, ASUS ROG, Phobya, OCOOL/Alphacool Mayhems GT Omega Racing & Avexir

For past & present MODs/Builds please check my Facebook & Youtube pages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Jan 2016
  2. Stallion

Stallion What's a Dremel?

got some interesting angles to tackle there i shall watch fellow desk builder

3. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

The angles are going to be a challenge, never attempted to cut them before.

I think cutting just one side wont be so bad but when i get to the bits that need 3 sides doing all at different angles I will fail a couple of time :duh:

4. darknessblade

darknessblade What's a Dremel?

from what i can see in the pic/ render it might be look cool

5. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Thanks both ;)
    I know it looks a bit strange compared to most other PC desk builds, that was the main goal, to have something a bit different.

the angled sides are around 11" at the widest points & I plan to use them as extra storage if possible, because the RES are going on the outside I will be left with lots of space inside to try fill, might leave room for a second PC at a later date, or maybe add some consoles

6. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

here is one of the many 1st designs i did, had to change it due to the size :(

[​IMG]

After the wife told me to move all my model cars from the living room, this cabinet ended up in the garden, I was planing to use the glass from this
    on the next build & was one of the main reasons the desk is so angled, I also love the Honda CBR600RR due to its sharp looking design & ofc Lambos have the same sharp designs that i love,
    now due to the design changes I cant use the glass so will be using fresh cut glass or thick perspex.

[​IMG]

The MDF for the 2 bottom sections along with most of the MDF for the middle have now been cut to size & I have started to assemble.

[​IMG]

I was told to kit myself out with a face-mask & glasses when cutting MDF,
    but the normal size face-mask was causing my glasses to steam up lol
    So had to dig out my airsoft mask to use in conjunction with the small face-mask

[​IMG]

Some of the bolts/screws I will be using to fasten the main parts together, they will make it more easy to remove with standard alan keys & should last longer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sides ready to be fasten to the bottom & back, soon as the miter edges are done

[​IMG]

The hardest part so far, miter edges, very tricky & most the time i have to use scrap wood before doing the final peace or risk wasting some MDF

[​IMG]

My 1st set of angled corners cut ready to use as shelf's/frame

[​IMG]

Bottom left assembled

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Mar 2015
  7. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Subbed! I love desk builds. :)

8. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

Another love for desk builds :D

9. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Thanks Bartacus :thumb:

Love making them even more, bit stressful sometimes, still very rewarding if the desk goes to plan :D

10. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

A bit later than planed but finally got time now to update the log :)

Both bottom left & right shelf's/frames are completed, no permanent fittings just encase i have any problems moving the desk to the house,
    This was by far the easiest part so far

[​IMG]

The main compartment that will act as a frame for the top & hold the fans & other components - the RADs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here im making some slots for the front panels that will be resting on the left & right side shelf's, doing so will help hold them im place as I screw them down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Nov 2015
  11. Stallion

The joys of MDF, looking good thus far

12. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Tell me about it :D
    the dust is a pain though, even with a vac & dust mask

Over the past week some build items have arrived so I will cover them along with the case mod im doing
    Moving the MEGA desk build (2013) in to the case to make room for the new desk & to ensure I have a working
    computer during the build so I can keep you all updated :)

My 1st package had some Cooler Master bit n bobs that I will cover later in the build
    along with my replacement tea cup & cap :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd package had the heart of the new build, A v1200 PSU along with Jet Flow 120mm RED fans & some
    very nice Resonar in-ear buds so I can have some decent music as I'm working in the shed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last thing I received this week was my new CPU, Intel i7-5820k witch will be a nice upgrade for me
    the last CPU I was using was the i5-2500k.

[​IMG]

13. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Moving the old desk build to a cooler master silencio 652s case..
    Wrapping with some 3M vinyl wrap (brushed silver)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Case broken down ready for the wrap, fairly easy to do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Building from bottom to top, the sides are cut and attached with screws & glue,
    decided to use some old wood for this part to test out the new saw & my skills with mitering

In the end I was so happy with the results I kept the old wood & didn't bother redoing them with MDF :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bit was tricky, wood too deep for the dremel, design to narrow for the multi tool :(
    Ended up having to use a bit of everything including a hand saw & blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now time to cut the part that will allow my legs to go under the desk, then for the 1st time I can sit at the desk to get a feel for how it
    will be when completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of the drive bay holder cutouts, again with the older wood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final update for this weekend is the start of the two shelf ends that will also act as speaker boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed the updates, please let me know your thoughts as I progress, good or bad, still time to change things if needed :D

Have a nice weekend
    Rob

15. Stallion

Well done, you did a fine job there thus far :clap:

16. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Thanks, yeah the wrap looks very nice now its on, the 3M wrap is a bit thicker than the cheaper ones so a bit harder to use without heat.
    should take damage better & last longer though :)

Thanks Stallion, yeah this time its going a lot faster & more easy with the correct tools..
    Just the MDF dust thats a pain :wallbash:

17. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

My new GPU has arrived :D
    ASUS R9-295x2

been testing it out on my current rig & im very happy so far, BF4 FPS are now over 120FPS maxed out @1440p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Both the corner parts now built, they will house the speakers & also act as part of the upper shelf for the monitor/monitors.

[​IMG]

When I was happy with all the parts & placement I then went back to the corner parts to add the speakers, did it in this order so i could double check how it looked
    before adding the speakers, just encase I wasn't happy with them in the position I had them on the art work.

[​IMG]

This is a dodgy tool, almost had my hand of a couple of times, but did the job in the end :)

[​IMG]

Added some sealant to prevent dust & help with the speaker sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to take shape now, really nice to see it looking a bit like the design I spent months working on :D

please note, the sides ain't fasten down yet & still need some sanding to be done later in the build,
    the shelf is also just resting there atm, the blocks holding it up are just for demonstration & will be replaced.

[​IMG]

In the next stage im going to dismantle the desk & reduce the height by 2 inch, the main reason for this mod is so im not towering
    above my friends on my high chair as they sit on the small visitor chairs :)

Last edited: 27 Nov 2015
  19. Stallion

looking good, shame to reduce hight just to stop being taller than your friends. i would want to be taller, God like, looking down at your minions :)

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking good. :)