1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mr3D - Project Tatami (mATX computercase from scratch)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr3D, 22 Mar 2015.

1. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Okay, so let's start this by saying I'm not that good at making buildlogs. Building is my thing, but creating a nice-looking buildlog is hard. So, some text and some images will have to do.

Let's expand that by, if you have any questions about the build, just ask them! Comments of all kinds are always nice!

Onto the actual introduction. I'm kinda secretive about my builds, so I won't go off and show the CAD-model of the build. What I can tell you tho is what I did to it so far. Right now I spent around ~125h of work on the build, and it's faaaar from done! Because of that and I already made a worklog on a swedish forum, this first update might seem weird, and/or mashed together.

Some of the components I got so far:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X99M Gaming 5
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz (4x8GB/32GB)
    GPU: -
    PSU: Corsair AX760i
    SSD OS: Intel 750 400gb PCIe
    SSD Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB

Radiator: Aquacomputer AMS 280mm D5 pump-combo
    Fancontroller: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 Pro with a black backplate

With that said, more about the case itself. I'll be building more or less everything that I'm capable of building/manufacturing with the tools I got access too.

The build itself is going to be a watercooled mATX build, It'll be small compared to the components/power which it will hold, but big compared to a really small mITX build.

Okay, so I guess I got you kinda bored with this introduction, on to the actual building!

[​IMG]

First of all, let's start with the milling-machine I'll use for 95% of the time with the manufacturing.

The mill is fairly old, +10years I think. It is a 5-axis mill, but only the 3 linear axises are CNC-controlled. The 2 rotational axises are manually controlled(and therefore more or less never used). Because only 3 axises are CNC-controlled, I call this a 3-axis mill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, so let's continue with the raw-material. Here we have a total of ~35kg aluminum. The alloy is EN AW-6082, I chosed this alloy because of it's yield strength, easy machining and also looks great when anodized(this was the biggest reason). The finished parts(after machining) will weight around ~5kg... That's 30kg aluminum "waste/chips" right there... :D

[​IMG]

Okay, the first part is machined in the first clamping. Later, I'll machine it on the backside and some more sides. This program took around ~40-60min for the mill to run. That's because of the big chamfer, I used a 6mm full-radius mill and ran a 3D milling operation with only a few hundreds of a millimeter in depth cuts. I did that because I wanted a smooth and nice looking surface on the chamfer.

[​IMG]

A few hours of work later...

[​IMG]

Another part is milled. Integrated 230V connector in the frame of the case? Oh, indeed! :D

Because I'll mount the PSU "somewhere-else-than-the-back-of-the-case" I needed this.

[​IMG]

When running a CNC-machine, I first need a program to run it with. Here you see the different mill/drill operations for the roughing of the part(finishing later). The red part is how I want the part to look like, the light blue lines are how the mill is going to run/mill.

[​IMG]

After running the program, the part looked like this.

[​IMG]

Then I added all the finishing cuts/operations and now the part looks like this. Later I'll mill it on the underside.

[​IMG]

Annnddd milled on the underside.

[​IMG]

Here we have another part finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAAAAARRRRTTTTSSSS! :rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is some of the parts laid out so you get a hang of the looks of it. Most the edges are chamfered in the milling machine, but not a few that I don't want chamfered, look at the pics and you see why. :)

[​IMG]

I'll use dowel-pins to fasten the parts together. I know, it is just a computer case, but the assembling will be A LOT easier to get it in the correct position. Dowel-pins don't fasten the parts axially, so I'll use screws, too. The dowel-pins is only for radial/positional fastening of the parts.

[​IMG]

Yeah, this could work really well! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the stuff I bought for the project so far. A 280mm pump/radd/res combo, and a Aquaero 6 Pro "fan-controller"(more like a PLC... :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making vibration-reduction for the fans/radiator, more about this later.

Made the original hole bigger with a 7.4mm drill, then mounted the grommets(Lian Li HDD vibration-reduction grommets). My gut feeling tells me that this might be too little to remove all the vibrations from the pump, but the modification itself feels like it's going to work well.

[​IMG]

To be able to do the machining on the sides of the parts I turned the table 90 degrees, did some drilling and tapping. Nothing special actually, tho it needed to be done to fit the parts together.

[​IMG]

When I was done, the assembling began! Inserting dowel-pins and screwing it together. I can only say one thing: The dowel-pins were one of the greatest things ever! Just put the parts together, annnnnnd It's done! Quick with a perfect result everytime. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembled! Still missing some stuff for the frame and such, but you'll get the idea.

[​IMG]

Details of the corners. As I said earlier, dowel-pins are awesome! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the fans! (atleast some of them)

[​IMG]

Now it's time to make the shrouds for the radiator/fans!

The initial aluminum block weighted ~10kg, but I cut it smaller because I didn't need that much. Now were down to ~8kg.

Put the, still heavy, aluminum block in the mill and started milling.

[​IMG]

Some hours later this came out of the machine! :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

Let's weight it! I removed around 5kg aluminum in the mill!

After sawing off the excess material, it's now down to 1kg, I still need to do some machining but most of the material is removed. :D

[​IMG]

So, because I'll run push n pull on the radiator I needed another shroud.

[​IMG]

And a pic with the fans assembled to the shroud! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I visited the waterjet cutter guy. He water cut the motherboard tray for me! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to my work. Time for some milling action! :D

I countersunk the mobo tray flush with the frame and finished some small stuff with the frame. Unless I add more stuff to the frame, It's done now. :p (Well, only the frame, lots of stuff left)

[​IMG]

While the frame was disassembled, I used my diamond files to make a super small chamfer in the corner, this was sharp before. Looks WAAAAY better now! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for some shroud action! Milled the backsides of the shrouds. I might need to make them shorter later tho(like 0.2mm or so). Because when I clamp them together with the case the pre-load is too high on the vibration-dampening rubbers on the fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Annnnd a test-assembly. This is going to look sooo sweet, finished! :D Some stuff(like the shrouds/raditaor) is just barely held in place to take this picture. I need more time to get it to actually work.

This concludes the work I done so far! Hope y'all like it! :naughty:

Last edited: 11 Oct 2015
  2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

That's some awesome machining you have done there.

Wish I had the equipment and the know how to make things like this.

3. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Thanks man! :D

Oh, s*it! Almost forgot the motherboard and PSU! :duh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GIGABYTE GA-X99M Gaming 5, that is one good looking motherboard! :rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not only the motherboard that looks good, the PSU is looking nice, too! :D

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very awesome start, looks strong & very good looking, I'll keep an eye on this awesomeness. :D

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

wow, that's gonna weigh a metric ton when you are done and she gets filled with water!

But yeah, great start, very nice milling action - those parts you have made looks mighty fine indeed! :naughty:

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What Waynio said, But with extra "very" :rock:
    -That curved Mobo tray support in particular is delicious.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

CNC aluminium case. That stuff just never gets old. :thumb:

8. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Delicious! Subbed!

9. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Beautiful milling. I envy the precision. Those fan ducts and the corner joints look especially incredible.

10. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! :clap:

Why do everyone think that this will weight a ton? Another guy at the swedish forum thought that too. The 3D model isn't 100% done yet, but my guesses is a total weight around ~20kg. :confused:

Anyways, I didn't update you with weeks work, so here is it! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some weird looking copper-thingys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's correct! Those are electrodes for sinker-EDMing. Because I can't get a mill in there, I had to sinker-EDM it.

Now I'm actually able to mount them to the radiator.

[​IMG]

While the EDM was running, had to do something to pass the time. So I made the special-screws for the vibration-reduction of the pump/fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So basically, here's how I made them. First I made a mounting thingy with a tapped thread in it, to easier mount the screws in the lathe. Then I turned the diameter down, but a diameter that's still too big.

Then I mounted them the same way in the cylindrical grinder and ground the diameter. Did this to get a better surface finish and better tolerances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished, and mounted! :D

Next up is motherboard spacers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First I turned them in the lathe. Basic stuff.

Then I made a special mounting-plate that I ground on both sides in the surface grinder, mounted the mobo-spacers to my newly made plate and ground them. Turned them around and ground them again. Now I got a really nice surface finish and super tight tolerances.(Not that I need that tolerance tho...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we have a set of freshly made motherboard spacers! :D

[​IMG]

Also milled the first operation for the PSU mounting plate.

11. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Damn, that's so overkill. I love it.

12. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Nuff said, :jawdrop:

I like them AMS rads, can I have yours please? :D

LOL, they're almost impossible to get a hold of in the UK without being crazily priced.

Anyhow, I digress, your work us astonishing mate, look forward to more.

Thanks for sharing! :)

13. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

That feeling when an awesome worklog has no more pictures in it, and you realize that you have to wait :(

This is brilliant work!

14. Nexxo

Sinker EDM-ing? Now that's just showing off!

Super tasty. Even if you probably have a skip full of aluminium swarf at the end of it. :p

15. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

That exactly why I don't like the project...Attila with one tenth of all that alu two files and one hammer will probably humble you a bit. I mean we all live in the same boat, you can use your hands a bit more and don't waste all that stuff...And I don't want to think how much electricity you used...I'm not a treehugger but this is too much (ok overkill but by jc!)

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

EDM: I think I nutted. :worried: I didn't know they could do that. Nexxo has a design that requires cutting in a blind spot like that. Could you two maybe hook up and make that rig happen?:hehe:

Super-tight tolerances on a grommet: I like you. I like you a lot, but you might be crazier than me.

TeenGeek likes this.
  17. Nexxo

I must admit --not disparaging the awesome engineering skill at work here-- that I strive for elegance in design: to achieve interesting and functional builds that require minimal work (of course steampunk influences go against that) and involve a minimal loss of materials.

Even the modest work I do on the lathe and mill for Ada produces a lot of swarf (which I carefully collect for recycling). Of course in a big professional workshop that happens as a matter of course so I like to think all that aluminium will get recycled. But it brings home how easy it is to waste a lot of material.

Camille (when I get to her) will require some redesign in any case. When I originally drew her I was not nearly as knowledgeable about metal work and CNC as I am now, and in any case some parts of the design do not work from a functional point of view. No blinds spots on the redesign.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

CNC Alu machining and spark erosion - I'm in!

Subbed!

19. creative

creative 500rwhp

Having watched my supercharger manifold being machined I LOVE milled items! Makes me wish I learnt it after school instead of pulling pints for a living..... it absolutely fascinates me!

subbed!

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

EDM amazing machine I was just watching a vid on a company ( 3R systems ) that makes them :jawdrop:

Oh well suppose I'll be upgrading the old CNC machine :hehe:

Last edited: 23 Mar 2015