1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Build Log] **White Metropolis** A Liquid-Cooled Modular CaseLabs S5+Ped Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by guitarhero23, 27 Mar 2015.

1. guitarhero23

guitarhero23 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    (This is not sponsored, I just wanted to include some of the manufactures in the title picture)

Purpose and Main Idea:

I wanted a build that was if a small form factor, allowing easier transportation when gaming with friends without sacrificing cooling power when at home and overclocking. I also wanted to create as clean of a build visually as I could which is where the idea for this came from. I developed a quick disconnect system from S5 to pedestal allowing my to separate the two. The name "White Metropolis" started out because I was trying to brainstorm a name that wasn't too cliche with a white build and went with that with no intention of including the name into the theme. That all changed when I got inspired by city silhouettes. In this build you will find the silhouettes of major cities all across the world such as Hong Kong - China, Bangkok - Thailand and Jikarta - Indonesia because of how they looked. I've hopefully succeeded in tying all these things together in a visually appealing, high detail design. Having windows all around led for designing ideas the complement the computer no matter which side you look at it so no matter where you view it from you get a different and equally pleasing view.

The idea is to have the main cabin of the S5 be easily detachable with the bottom. So when home I'll be running a decent overclock through the 240 rad up top and a 360 rad in the pedestal. When I'm using it portable I will detach it from the pedestal (QDC's) and through the use of a Bitspower Valve redirect the flow.

See rough sketch of the idea here (Changed a couple things but you get the point:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So basically when attached to pedestal the valve will but shut, forcing all coolant to run down into the pedestal 360mm rad and back up into the case. When disconnected from the pedestal the valve will be open, allowing the coolant to flow freely through the case.

Theme:

I've seen love and hate comments for white builds but this is my personal rig and ultimately I gotta go with what I want so it'll be white with a little darker than sky blue accents all throughout the case.

Current Status: COMPLETE. CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL THE FINAL PICTURES
    [​IMG]

Most of the goods (Minus case of course):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Main Components:

• Case - CaseLabs Mercury S5 w/Pedestal (White, XL left Window, Large Top Window) (Acquired)
      [*]Specs:-
      S5 (White)
      Top Chassis: No Drop -In
      Top Cover: Standard Window
      Left Door: XL Window
      Right Door: Standard Window w/Ventilation
      Flex-Bay: 120.2 Fan/Radiator Mount

Pedestal: (White)
      Rear Chassis Option: 120mm Hex-Mesh Fan Hole
      Flex-Bay Cover: Ventilated​
    • CPU - Intel i7-4790k (Acquired)
    • Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/Armor Kit (Acquired)
    • Memory - GSkill 16Gb 1866 (4x4GB) (Acquired)
    • GPU - EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 (Upgrading to next GTX or 390x. Dont have time to wait now)(Acquired)
    • SSD - Samsung EVO 120Gb (Acquired)
    • HDD 1: 1 TB WD Black (Acquired)
    • HDD 2: 2 TB WD Green (Acquired)
    • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2 (Acquired)

Watercooling Components:

• CPU Block - EK Supremacy EVO (Nickel/Plexi) (Acquired)
    • GPU Block - Bitspower VG-NGTX970ESACX (Nickel/Plexi) [B(Acquired)
      [*] Radiators - XSPC ex360 and Black Ice Nemesis 240 GTS (Acquired)
      [*] Ram Block - EK Monarch x4 (Acquired)
      [*] Pump - Swiftech M​CP35X (Acquired)
      [*] Pump Housing - EK DDC Hea​tsink (Acquired)
      [*] Pump Top - EK-D5 X-TO​P Pump Top​ CSQ (P​lexi) (Acquired)
      [*] Reservoir - Bitspower Tank Z-Multi 150 (Acrylic top/bottom) (Acquired)
      [*] Fittings - Bitspower Deluxe White, EK-ACF (White), Koolance QDC's, (Acquired)
      [*] Tubing - E22 12mm OD acrylic tube (S5), PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. ID X 1/2in (Pedestal) (Acquired)
      [*] Coolant - Mayhems Blue Berry (With Ocean Blue) (Acquired)

Miscellaneous:

• Ensourced custom cables (Acquired)

[​IMG]
    • Darkside lighting (Acquired)
    • Fans - Bitfenix Spectre 120 (Acquired)
    • OCN Log

Planned Mods:

• Paint - Many, Many Parts White with Blue accents (Armor Kit, Monarch Modules, Supremacy Bracket, Radiator, Pump Housing, EK-UNI Holder, SSD, GPU Backplate, etc)
    • Custom Acrylic:
    • ---Laser CutBackplate for GPU (2 layer, metal with acrylic behind)
    • ---Laser Cut Midplate
    • ---Laser Cut PSU Cover
    • ---Mounting Plate
    • ---MOBO tray cover
    • Polished Acrylic Blocks
    • Bitspower Pass-throughs
    • Quick Disconnect System (Thumb Screws?)
    • Pump in unique spot to be shown off
    • Stealth-mount HDD's instead of SSD
    • Cables
    • Possible Custom LED logo
    • Possible Laser Engraving
    • Cutting the case
    • Custom Res mounting
    • Custom pump mounting

Expect many progress photos, videos, and other fun things. I plan to make any videos I do of progress be on the interesting/comical side but we will see how it goes. I'll do my best to provide quality pictures and I will ask for feedback along the way on design choices. I have waited for a while to start the build log because I'm not one who wants a 4 month build log to keep people waiting.

Progress:

Video Catalog:

1. EK Polishing
    2. Trip to Microcenter
    3. Laser Cutting + GPU Backplate
    4. Day Off = Guitar
    5. Hardline Tubing Preview
    6. Quick Disconnect Case Preview
    7. Pedestal Quick Disconnect Overview (Build Complete)

Last edited: 6 May 2015
  2. guitarhero23

First progress:
    I used a lighter to remove the EK badge from 2 of my 4 monarch modules to test out some colors and see what you guys like.

Here they are in a nice soap and water bath to get some of the gunk off where the badges were.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, here is where I ask your advice. 3 options here.

1: All white
    [​IMG]

2: White monarch module with blue EK badge (ignore the messy plastidip, I will redo, just focus on color)
    [​IMG]

3: All white with just the EK logo inside the badge blue and possibly blue text (photoshopped for now). I'm liking this option without the blue text the best.
    [​IMG]

Extra Pictures:
    [​IMG]

3. guitarhero23

Progress Update:

Did some polishing work for the first time ever. Also have to polish RAM block and CPU block.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video On the Process:

^If above doesn't work: https://youtu.be/EN2gIueG5WY

4. guitarhero23

PPCs finally got the GPU block back in stock and trust me, I was refreshing that page all day yesterday, bought it as soon as it was back in stock. Took the liberty of sucking it up and ordering some LED lighting to clearly show off the inside of this case. This stuff is a bit on the expensive side but so be it I guess, we will see how well it works, hopefully I ordered the right connectors for my needs, I find it odd you cannot add an LED strip to your cart UNLESS you also add a connector because what if you have connectors already or something?

[​IMG]

Because the case has been delayed I'm expected it to ship out either today or tomorrow hopefully but depending on how long it takes to cross the US I might not be here to get the package at work, I'll be in DC from the 2nd to the 5th! But I'll be here to get it if it arrived on the 2nd (fingers crossed)

I'll be updating the build tonight with some of the painting I've been doing, got a lot done.

5. guitarhero23

Update:
    [​IMG]

Painting +Polishing update time!

I've been slaving away with the plastidip.

The Good:
    I can remove it if I mess up
    I can remove it when I sell parts for a new rig (if I ever do)
    Easily available at auto store

The Bad:
    It gets cold in my house so I have to run it under warm water or it comes out a little thick
    If you accidentally rub into it too hard it will peel off (found this out the hard way)
    Had to use like....9+ coats on everything to get it purely white
    Doing the above makes it thick (lose a little detail)

Anyway. TO THE PICS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And....

The most important update is....

[​IMG]

:) :) :) :) :)

Unfortunately the fact that it was delayed means it probably won't get here until after I have left for DC (Thursday night). If they try to deliver on Saturday it might be a problem because I sent it to my office where I work and noone is there then...anyone wanna wait and get it for me? :)

I'm hitting up Microcenter in DC and going to make a video VLOG of the mecca to Microcenter haha.

6. guitarhero23

Tough crowd around these parts!

Bonus picture before I leave for DC until Monday, get case on Tuesday!
    Will be posting my pilgrimage to Microcenter when I can, if I have downtime with the GF this weekend I'll see if I can edit it and get it up :). Should be a fun little video

Decided the black handle would clash a little with where it's going. Had to change.
    [​IMG]

7. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

It's a tough crowd because you have to do something unique to get credit. Just slapping a bunch of parts together into an un-modded case isn't going to impress anyone here. I'm not slagging your build, don't get me wrong. Just don't expect people to spooge over your parts list, or CaseLabs case, unless you mod the hell out of it (Plasti-dip doesn't count; that rubber crap isn't even paint). Spending $$$ and taking lots of "parts pics" won't impress anyone on BitTech.

Have a look at some build logs on this forum and you'll understand. There are some serious creative nutcases on BT! Please don't take that as a dump on your build though. It's just that if you want to impress people HERE, you need to up the game; this isn't OCN. Just having a CL case and using plasti-dip is NOT impressive here. I have an M8 myself, and it is NOT an impressive case. It's an ugly aluminum box with options, that's it. If you want fans on THIS forum, gotta up the game.

P.S. I am severely drunk, so don't take this in a bad way. :) This is meant to be constructive. I'm just saying this isn't a "fanboy" forum like OCN or OC3D. You need to be doing MODS here to impress folks, not just tossing $$$ at a build.

8. guitarhero23

I didn't take this in any of a bad way but I do have this to say.

I'm not looking for "OMG I'm drooooling at how sick this is", I'm more looking for like a comment I just got elswhere suggesting that if I wanted to get a smoother look on the plastidip I could take 1000g sandpaper and yadda yadda yadda. Trust me, I know slapping a bunch of expensive parts doesn't mean jack **** and I haven't even gotten the case yet to do anything with it. And if I didn't get any comments that's OK too because if my build log gives any ideas to anyone or someone just likes the picture that's fine by me. I'm here looking for new ideas, new mods, etc. I want the suggestions. I think if the only way to get any feedback is to chainsaw my case in half and weld a car in the middle is the only way to get positive or negative feedback that's just silly ;)

9. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

It's a bit hard to give advice etc when there's nothing coming together yet to see the direction the build is going! ;) Normally people start with the case and change the components to suit.. You seem to be going the other way around? :hehe:

10. guitarhero23

Update:
    [​IMG]

Update:

I have made it to Micro Center and back and my voyage was successful! Please watch the video below, hopefully it's somewhat entertaining. Store is pretty cool! (God YouTube is slow at offering full 1080)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFVA9nFVEfE

It's also time for another ask your opinion moment. I'm messing around with some graphics for the SSD. One is simply replacing the colors, and the other two are variations on pulling the name (Metropolis) into the build with some building silhouettes but I literally just came up with this idea today so I'm open to you picking one and liking it or offering ideas as to what I can do. I will be covering the SSD with vinyl and attaching the graphic over that.

Option 1:
    [​IMG]

Option 2:
    [​IMG]

Option 3:
    [​IMG]

Expect massive updates this week and weekend as the case and remaining water-cooling parts arrive TOMORROW.

I'll probably make an update later tonight as well as I am bench testing the componenets now that I have the CPU in hand although I am expecting some possible difficulties with the 4790k since I'm using a z87 board but hopefully ASUS Bios Flashback can help me with that...Will let you know

11. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

I personally like the first one. Prefer the minimalist design.

12. GregEl

GregEl What's a Dremel?

Option 3 for me. My favourite colors. Keep it up!

13. guitarhero23

Thanks guys. I'm keeping a tally. Might do mockups of both in real life before I decide for sure. I'll do that once I get it mounted in the case and see how it looks compared to everything else near it. I want to say option 3 is my favorite but I can see keeping it simple with #1 once all is said and done.

14. guitarhero23

Update:
    [​IMG]

Update: Case+Some Test Fits

Ok guys I wanted to make a more official update since I initially just took pictures to show that my case had some wrong parts in it (wrong door, wrong pedestal side panels) but here are some better pictures of the actual case. This case on the lower section is....smaller than I pictured (even though I looked at all measurements). I might actually have to....cut a hole on the left side of the mid chassis and stick the pump top through that in order to have enough clearance for everything. :( I don't feel like screwing this case up by doing so and messing up but I might not have a choice. Also put together the fitting array that will make the whole "module thing" work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to home depot today for some sheet metal, longer m2.5 screws, and more plastidip. Going to be making my own res mount to the rad out of the sheet metal, also possible using it for a custom backplate for the GPU. Have to experiment.

15. guitarhero23

I've been in talks with an engraving place that can cut 1/8" acrylic so....fingers are crossed that I can work something out but I made these designs for the GPU backplate and a midplate floor to put on the HDD/SSD side of the case....

Black areas would be cutout and have blue behind it. I still am trying to go with a mixture of interesting detail while maintaining a minimalist design, don't want TOO many things going on. Want the designs to complement the parts not distract the eye.

Acrylic Backplate (White+Blue layer behind)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SSD/HDD Midplate (White+Blue layer behind)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

I really like the metropolis plate! I think you should do something like that on the GPU back plate(s). It would be unique, and not overly busy, which is what you're gunning for. I like the Bitspower logo, but I've seen that logo far too much. :) YOUR design is much nicer, and unique to you. Just my $0.02.

P.S. apologies again for my douche-bag response to your thread man! I re-read that and it's awful, and I didn't mean it at all (just too drunk and angry that night).

P.P.S. Satriani is amazing, you have good taste. :)

17. guitarhero23

No don't worry at all I really do get where you're coming from because every forum has it's own atmosphere so if Bit-Tech is more about the modding of the case than just a build I'll just do my best to prove I'm doing many custom things here.

Speaking of that.... I might have to do some cutting of my case in order to still stick to my plan. Might need to cut a square and stick the pump partway through the mid chassis. I'm nervous because my best option seems to be a dremel but I'm worried about 1: Not making a perfect square and 2: ruining the finish. I'm going to use frog tape when I cut and might get some white grommet to hide any imperfections.

EDIT: Could maybe something like this.
    [​IMG]

Also:

• CaseLabs case WILL be cut with dremel I believe to fit the pump where I want
    • Ensourced cables have been ordered.
    • I've painted MANY screw heads.

Also I've done some brainstorming on how to customize the GPU block itself.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2015
  18. guitarhero23

Small Update:

Spent about 2 hours last night placing various pieces in the case to see how things fit and getting an idea how to make my original tubing plan work, to no surprise I don't think it will work SO. After another hour of brainstorming I came up with another plan (I'm a stickler for it looking cool) and had to make a quick order from PPCs.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to get a c47 but they have been out of stock.
    Some pictures from the brainstorming process so I remember what I figure out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be cutting the case to make a hole for the pump probably only the EK top will be poking out. I bought some white piping for guitar amplifiers to possibly use as a grommet around the square for 1: Nice clean look even if I mess up the cuts a bit and 2: Soft rubber that will make sure it doesn't vibrate the case.

19. guitarhero23

Update:
    [​IMG]

Case Mods Part 1:

I worked hard today getting some things done, I did a couple more things than I will post right now but that's because they aren't 100% complete, will post when done. Today was my first longgggg day of building, watched the Masters at the same time.

Transporting to my Dad's basement workshop. Didn't buckle it in but it was safe.
    [​IMG]

Couldn't find a bracket that worked with the EK Resevoir mount brackets that way I wanted them to so I made my own (Going to paint them).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll explain what this is for later, I doubt anyone can guess it's true purpose
    [​IMG]

And...Now's the part that better not mess up...Wish me luck!
    [​IMG]

20. guitarhero23

I'm getting frustrated because I'm having trouble finding somewhere to cut some damn acrylic. All the professional laser places are like for industrial business things and all the smaller trophy shops with lasers aren't powerful enough to cut acrylic...

The one guy I had hope in can't seem to reproduce my design (I have no clue why, any idea?)

I give him this:
    [​IMG]

And when he traces it in the program he needs to use (CoralDraw) he sends me this back...:
    [​IMG]
    (I know it has two images on it because I had layers but the trace is so innacurate)

Should I CNC it? Where should I do this?

I'm from Connecticut.

Thanks guys.